• Computers
  • Good, stable Thunderbolt PCIe Card?
2017/10/20 21:40:49
Treefight
I'm looking to switch from a PCIe/D-Sub-based Lynx Aurora to a Thunderbolt-based UA Apollo 16 (in part because of the free Octo satellite promotion, since I had been eyeing it anyhow).

However, my PC, while new, does not have a Thunderbolt port.  It has the USB-C (I think that's what it's called, not at PC now), but my understanding is that it definitely is not and cannot be used as a Thunderbolt.

So, it looks like I'll need a Thunderbolt port (via PCIe card).  Given the money I'm spending, and the value I place on stability above all else, I turn to my friends here for advice!

MOBO is a Core I7 HW-E X99A, Processor is Core i7-6850k 3.6GHz, 6 core, 15 mg cache.

Windows 10 Pro, SSD OS, Audio, and Sample drives, plus two older spinners from a previous machine that are largely unused.

Oh, and the case (since it has the ports...) is a Fractal Design Define R4 System Cabinet.

No idea if this is too much info or not enough.

It's all about stability for me; to that end, price is (almost) irrelevant.

Any advice would be appreciated!
2017/10/21 17:55:10
kitekrazy1
You need a T-Bolt header on your board.  There are plenty of threads on T-Bolt in this forum. 
2017/10/21 18:06:58
Treefight
Thank you
2017/10/21 19:51:21
Jim Roseberry
If the motherboard doesn't specifically have a Thunderbolt header (and that header must support a Thunderbolt-3 add-in-card), then the only option is to swap out the motherboard.
2017/10/21 22:02:47
Treefight
Thanks, Jim, that pretty much settles it! Now I know what to find out.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account