2018/09/24 11:23:03
JohnEgan
Hi all,

Im just looking for some feedback on what people are using for De-esser plug-ins that are effective, or is it best to do manually (i.e., Melodyne, EQ, dynamic EQ/compressors) Some Ive tried dont seem that effective, Melodyne works great but sometimes quite labour intensive, LOL. Ive got Izotope Nectar2, De-ess module, it doesn't seem that effective, was considering Fab-Filters DS, but its somewhat costly. 
Anyway any feedback would be appreciated
Cheers 
2018/09/24 13:44:30
The Maillard Reaction
>

2018/09/24 14:19:09
Jim Roseberry
Isolate the offending sibilant syllables as separate clips.
You can then apply a specific "De-Ess" plugin or use an EQ to tame each one.
Applying a blanket De-Ess or EQ can make the vocal sound unnatural.
This process leaves the rest of the vocal untouched. 
2018/09/24 14:47:51
batsbrew
i happen to like wave's renaissance de-esser

https://www.waves.com/plugins/renaissance-deesser

super easy to dial in, can be fairly transparent
2018/09/24 15:10:24
Leadfoot
Sonar has a vocal processor (vx-64 or something like that) that has a decent de-esser. I don't know if CbB has it or not.
2018/09/24 18:26:40
bitflipper
Pro-DS is very good and can even do more than just de-essing. However, it is expensive. Enough so that I've not been able to justify its purchase, even after demoing and seeing just how good it is.

I do not currently employ (nor need) a dedicated de-esser. That's because in most cases you can do the job just fine with any compressor that features a parametric sidechain filter. Dynamic equalizers or multi-band compressors are another option.
2018/09/25 02:30:02
clintmartin
Toneboosters Sibalance, when I use one.
2018/09/25 10:53:11
Marshall
bitflipper
Pro-DS is very good and can even do more than just de-essing. However, it is expensive. Enough so that I've not been able to justify its purchase, even after demoing and seeing just how good it is.

I do not currently employ (nor need) a dedicated de-esser. That's because in most cases you can do the job just fine with any compressor that features a parametric sidechain filter. Dynamic equalizers or multi-band compressors are another option.

This is a subject I am interested in because, for some strange reason that sssss sound has started creeping into my own vocal recordings. Never been an issue before, but for whatever reason it seems to be now.

I don’t have a dedicated de-Esser but I do own many, many third party plugins, which, if I had the knowledge I’m sure could sort this issue out. E.g., I have Ozone Advanced and hence access to their dynamic EQ as a stand-alone. I also have the studio version of Melodyne that the OP mentioned. And numerous compressors by Waves, as well as the included ones in Sonar and Studio One.

Can someone point me to a tutorial on how I can use any of these to address the sibilance issue?
2018/09/25 12:17:35
The Maillard Reaction
>
2018/09/26 00:55:43
bitflipper
Marshall
This is a subject I am interested in because, for some strange reason that sssss sound has started creeping into my own vocal recordings. Never been an issue before, but for whatever reason it seems to be now.

Rather than attempting to remedy it with processors, I'd be inclined to approach this as a tracking problem. Unless you've somehow developed a new whistle between your teeth, it's most likely an issue with the acoustics in your vocal space, your miking technique, or even a problem with the microphone itself.

The fix could be as simple as adding a pop filter, singing a little off-axis, rotating the microphone a few degrees, moving the mic further from a wall/window, or draping a packing blanket nearby. You'll need to try some experiments.

There was a time when I used to spend hours fixing vocals in the mix. Of all the various remedial tactics I've employed, at least some of them must have worked because it's been ages since I've had to fix essiness on a vocal. The last time, it turned out to be a broken microphone.

(BTW, one of the most effective changes I made was switching from an expensive condenser to a cheap dynamic mic for recording my own vocals. Maybe if I had a better voice I might need the greater accuracy, but the good old '58 fits me like a glove. I just have to use some self-control and avoid eating the mic.)
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account