2017/09/11 12:36:05
HMusikk
Hi,
Planning to build a new DAW now. The one I'm using now is from 2009 (and still working fairly good)
Have put together this system in the "wish list" in the web store.
  • ASUS Prime Z270-K, Socket-1151
  • Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Processor
  • Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 16GB
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD
  • WD Desktop Black 2TB 3.5"
  • WD Desktop Black 1TB 3.5"
  • Corsair RM850x 850W PSU

Also planning to go without a graphic card and use the onboard card on the MB.
Any thoughts about this system?
2017/09/11 14:13:04
Sanderxpander
I think the i7 6850K is generally considered better "bang for the buck" for DAW use but unless your needs are particularly demanding I doubt you'll run into trouble with tbe 7700K. I run pretty busy projects and haven't managed to max out my 6700 non K with any real world use.
2017/09/12 18:19:08
HMusikk
Sanderxpander
I think the i7 6850K is generally considered better "bang for the buck" for DAW use but unless your needs are particularly demanding I doubt you'll run into trouble with tbe 7700K. I run pretty busy projects and haven't managed to max out my 6700 non K with any real world use.

Thank you for your feedback. 
I don't buy a new DAW that often (last time was 2009) so I'll think I'll go for the 7700k. Hopefully it will last as long 8or even longer) than the system I'm using now :-) 
2017/09/12 18:35:01
HMusikk
pb7r47sz
The components you list should serve you well for a home studio.  However, it is not evident to me why you need a 850 watt power supply; unless it is already paid for.

Forest.
Thank you for your reply :-).
I have now changed the power supply to a 750w. 

pb7r47sz
The CPU cooler selected should achieve a respectable overclock, so your next consideration is the case and fans to minimize the noise your microphones will pick up. Multiply the case volume by 30 to find the total case fan CFM required.  A case filter reduces the manufacturers rated flow by about 25%.  To minimize the number of case fans required spend some time envisioning how the air will flow in the case and what will disturb its flow.  To reduce the static pressure the case fans have to overcome, make the area of the inlet(s) to the case equal to or larger than the outlet(s).  Also the HDD cage should not be in front of the fans.  According to Google's report on their server drives, the optimum operating temperature is 35 to 45 degrees Celsius.  So, they should be vented but not chilled.     

When it comes to the case I plan to use the one I have. It's an Chieftech Big tower with noise reduction "pads" mounted inside. Also, the fans in the case is ok.
My biggest concern when buying a new DAW is the Mother Board. There are too many to choose between, and most of them seems to be for gamers. I'm only using the PC for Music production (and maybe some light film editing now and then)
Last time a renewed my DAW I bought the MB that most people recommended in here (you can see it in my signature) And it has been working perfectly since day one 😊 Hopefully my new DAW will work just as good for at least 9-10 years…

2017/09/13 09:02:59
Kev999
HMusikk
Sanderxpander
I think the i7 6850K is generally considered better "bang for the buck" for DAW use but unless your needs are particularly demanding I doubt you'll run into trouble with tbe 7700K...

...I'll think I'll go for the 7700k...

I'm planning a new build too and  I was considering the 7700k versus the 6850k. The 7700 has a faster clock speed whereas the 6850 has more cores. I keep observing that all my Sonar projects display an even spread of activity across the 8 threads. This seems to suggest that more cores would be equally as beneficial to performance as higher clock speed. I therefore came down in favour of the 6850, which has 50% more cores while being only 15% slower. That was my thinking anyway.
2017/09/13 10:31:30
Shambler
I always overspec the PSU.

This allows for future graphics card upgrades which may need more power or I might want to add more drives.

Plus I'd rather have a PSU on half load than at 80-90% of its rating, it's likely to last longer.
2017/09/13 15:37:49
Mesh
HMusikk
 I'm only using the PC for Music production (and maybe some light film editing now and then)

Would onboard graphics be enough for "light film editing"? I don't do any video editing, but from the little I've read, it seems that you'd need a dedicated graphics card that can handle the demands of video editing.

Although a lot of MB's are made for gamers, they should work really well for DAW's (solid parts etc...) A little bit of research on MB's (reviews/features/future upgrades) should do you well.

BTW, your list of parts looks good.....just make sure your case is big enough for the NH-D14 as it's huge.

Good luck!! 
2017/09/13 15:59:16
bvideo
I was considering the 7700k too. Lower power, so less cooling/noise. Also, no graphics card needed, so less cooling/noise. I'm also starting from an i7-920. Also I do light video editing. I'm unimpressed with using high-end graphics cards for rendering, since there are often video anomalies that get the recommendation to "turn off GPU rendering."
2017/09/13 16:04:35
HMusikk
This sytem is living in the case now:
ASUS P6T SE, X58, Socket-1366, Quad Processor i7-920, Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Fan, EVGA GeForce 9500GT, Corsair TX 750W PSU, 1 Western Digital Caviar® GreenPower™ 1TB, 2 Western Digital Caviar GreenPower 500GB, Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 6GB

Hopefully the fans is about the same size...

I'm to "lazy" to read a lot of reviews on MB . My plan was to trust you guys :-) 
2017/09/13 21:10:28
Kev999
bvideo
...I'm unimpressed with using high-end graphics cards for rendering, since there are often video anomalies that get the recommendation to "turn off GPU rendering."

As another alternative which tends to get overlooked, there is such a thing as high-end graphics cards that are not for gaming but are more for architectural or medical use. These have the best still-image quality. I believe that they are appropriate for things like audio production.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account