• Computers
  • Liquid Saffire 56, Laptop and Sonar
2017/07/31 21:52:28
tonyzub999
Hope I have the right forum for this.  Here goes.  I am in process of upgrading to a new laptop for Producer.  I want to keep the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 as one of my interfaces. The 56 has ADAT lightpipe and firewire connections.  Firewire has worked well on my desktop, but I can't really find a newer PC laptop with Firewire.  There is an Apple firewire to Thunderbolt adaptor that I understand works well.   Alienware Gaming Laptop has a USB-C connector.  Will that work?  If the USB-C connection doesn't work I won't have to spend an additional $400 to $500 on the Alienware PC.  Has anyone on here successfully connected a Firewire or Thunderbolt interface to a PC laptop? Thoughts? Thanks.
2017/07/31 22:01:50
Zargg
Hi. Some things to be aware of, if I understand correctly.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3608913
All the best.

2017/07/31 22:16:07
Pragi
Dont know much about the 56 -
but if it has a firewire port you can check out if a firewire express card
fits into your lap top.
If that is possible, I recommend an express card with TI chipset.
2017/07/31 22:17:01
interpolated
That's a good question. FireWire still exists as far as I am aware.
2017/07/31 22:38:58
dahjah
I have the 56 and love it as well. Not sure if you got the laptop yet bit I got my laptop from adk pro audio, it's custom built and you can have them put firewire in it if you want. I have it in mine, but my 56 stays with the studio pc.
2017/08/01 17:08:12
Blogospherianman
My laptop setup included the Liquid Saffire 56 via a TI chipset Firewire express card. Works like a charm!
2017/08/01 17:13:17
tonyzub999
What model of laptop are you using?
2017/08/02 00:03:08
Blogospherianman
It's a Rain computer specifically for audio recording. (i7 processor) Unfortunately Rain Computers is out of business now. They were good though. They even pre-installed a Virtual PC for surfing and downloading safely. Now I've custom built my own Dual Xeon processor server rack computer. Still using my Liquid Saffire 56 though.
2017/08/02 01:49:32
abacab
FireWire is about dead on mainstream laptops.  You are looking at the custom stuff if you want that.

I have a FireWire interface that has been going strong for 10+ years, and I had to add a PCIe 1394 card to my latest desktop build to keep it working.

If I needed to add audio to my laptop now, I would probably spend the money on a good USB interface.  FireWire seems to have reached end of life as a technology.
2017/08/06 22:26:35
Pragi
abacab
FireWire is about dead on mainstream laptops.  You are looking at the custom stuff if you want that.

I have a FireWire interface that has been going strong for 10+ years, and I had to add a PCIe 1394 card to my latest desktop build to keep it working.

If I needed to add audio to my laptop now, I would probably spend the money on a good USB interface.  FireWire seems to have reached end of life as a technology.

Firewire seems to die  since nearly 10 years,
same was said the time I bought a saffire pro 40..
You are probably right.
Focusrite  proclaimed last year
that firewire interfaces will run via thunderbolt port in the future.
Any news about that ?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account