2017/08/30 14:45:44
SonicExplorer
Hi Guys,

What's the story with on-board vs. graphics card in a DAW?  I'm building a system based on older platforms and not seeing any problems so far using the on-board Intel controller, but then again I haven't really put much stress on things yet.   Was hoping to use the PCIex16 slot for a firewire card in place of a power-consuming, noisy graphics card.

Before I shoot myself in the foot please enlighten me if there is some compelling reason I shouldn't use the on-board graphic controller. 

Thanks,

Sonic
2017/08/30 15:36:13
pwalpwal
you can leave buying the if necessary (silent) graphics card until you've tried it without first? should be ok
2017/08/30 16:42:41
SonicExplorer
Yeah, makes sense, that was my original plan until a few things surfaced that I hadn't expected.  I may need to use the only PCIe slot for a Firewire card so the 'optional' use of on-board graphics has potentially become not optional.  Plus, I've learned that Superior Drummer can throw a fit if you start moving around hardware, causing a re-authorization headache.  So if possible I want to get this DAW Rubique's figured out up front to avoid later headaches.

Sonic
2017/08/30 17:15:30
fireberd
I'm using the Intel CPU graphics on my DAW system.  I also use the PC for other things and haven't had any issues.  However, I have a newer CPU, an Intel i7 6700K.
2017/08/30 19:04:17
abacab
I have no issues running dual monitors with my integrated Intel HD 2500 graphics.

I tested a Nvidia GeForce GT 710 PCIe GPU and found no noticeable performance improvement over the Intel HD.  I would say use the money for something else.

Intel has really improved their graphics since the old days.  IMO, the built-in stuff is now as good as the entry-level discrete GPUs. 

You really only need to add a GPU if you select a motherboard or CPU without graphics support.  Or if you want to play 3D games on your DAW.
2017/08/30 19:20:41
pwalpwal
abacabOr if you want to play 3D games on your DAW.

yes!
2017/08/30 19:35:11
abacab
pwalpwal
abacabOr if you want to play 3D games on your DAW.

yes!

Ha!  I have an old Win 7 box in the home entertainment center with a GTX for that! 
2017/08/30 20:12:06
Sanderxpander
abacab
I have no issues running dual monitors with my integrated Intel HD 2500 graphics.

I tested a Nvidia GeForce GT 710 PCIe GPU and found no noticeable performance improvement over the Intel HD.  I would say use the money for something else.

Intel has really improved their graphics since the old days.  IMO, the built-in stuff is now as good as the entry-level discrete GPUs. 

You really only need to add a GPU if you select a motherboard or CPU without graphics support.  Or if you want to play 3D games on your DAW.

The OP is running an old board though. Not sure if that makes a diff, I've always used a discrete card.
2017/08/30 22:34:40
SonicExplorer
Let me try to frame this in a different way:  It is (or at least was) common practice to disable any onboard audio because it could cause a wide variety of impacts in a DAW.  So I was wondering if I should also not use the onboard graphics controller for any similar kind of rationale.  I'm not concerned about DAW horsepower, there's plenty for my needs.  I just don't want to encounter some kind of conflict/lockup, drop-outs or audio pops as a result of using the onboard graphic controller.
2017/08/31 07:51:28
Sanderxpander
I've never bothered to disable on board graphics even when running a discrete card, and never had a problem from it. From all accounts, on board graphics are fine. Very few plugins make use of video drivers directly, 99 percent goes through Windows and since there is no 3D rendering any demands on the video driver are really low.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account