• Computers
  • Do you Use Your PC for more than just Recording
2017/09/06 16:08:13
BMOG
I wanted to poll everyone to see if they have a dedicated PC just for recording or if they have enough muscle do they use their PC along with other applications? I have a monster pc that I am using for video design using Adobe Priemere CC 2017 along with Adobe suite of CS6. I don't see why I could not use this same pc for recording with Plat your thoughts?
PC Specs
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8 Core 3.0GHz
32GB of memory
465 SSD
3 TB HD
2017/09/06 16:25:46
Mesh
I definitely use it as a multi-purpose PC (DAW, gaming, general internet etc...), but then again I'm a hobbyist and don't have a need for dedicated DAW work as a business.

Most audio/video/(even)gaming machines have decent quality components that can handle these stress requirements. I don't see any reason why it can't be used as a multi-purpose machine.......just have to be careful in not visiting any unsavory websites.   
2017/09/06 18:06:36
highlandermak
I use mine for all as well. I am a hobbyist as well however I always get a gaming desktops based on that they tend to be more powerful and stable (in general!!!) than standard desktops.
2017/09/06 18:21:50
Starise
I would think the only reason not to use it for other things would be hardware or software conflicts. The potential to pick up a computer virus. Most are going to surf with the same computer anyhow, so the same protections apply.

There really shouldn't be any software conflicts if you closed one program before launching another intensive application.Even with multiple programs running, it usually isn't a problem other than the cpu taking more of a hit.

So no, I see no reason not to utilize those resources for other things. I would save my files though, just in case you have a problem. Nothing like working for days on a mix and then loosing it.
Hardware won't give you a notice before it fails. That can happen to a dedicated machine too.

I'm mostly away and do much of my email and social stuff on portable devices. Only use music computer occasionally for that stuff.

We have a few here who won't ever use their music computer online. It just never happened that way for me.
2017/09/06 19:09:19
TheSteven
At the moment I can only afford one high performance PC so it gets used for everything...
I just shut things down when I'm using my DAWs - like Chrome, Outlook, etc. and even my wireless connection (which does make a difference).
2017/09/06 19:28:26
Mesh
TheSteven

I just shut things down when I'm using my DAWs - like Chrome, Outlook, etc. and even my wireless connection (which does make a difference).

The difference you're speaking of is in latency (shutting down Chrome & Outlook) or?
2017/09/06 19:36:41
TheSteven
Mesh
TheSteven

The difference you're speaking of is in latency (shutting down Chrome & Outlook) or?

Chrome & Outlook - freeing up processor power, memory and avoiding unnecessary disc access.
Having the wireless on has caused audio issues including audio engine shutdown - don't know why but this makes a big difference.  
2017/09/06 19:46:22
TheSteven
On small projects I can multitask, on large projects with CPU hungry plugins and numerous Kontakt tracks I'm fighting for every drop of performance I can wring out of my PC. 
2017/09/06 19:53:32
AndyB01
Mine's a family PC and the biggest problem that poses is getting to the head of the damn queue and staying there without someone asking 'are you done yet' before you've finished loading your VSTs!

Hence currently shopping for my own dedicated laptop, primarily for DAW work I will use it for other stuff too.
2017/09/06 20:01:15
Mesh
TheSteven
Mesh
TheSteven

Chrome & Outlook - freeing up processor power, memory and avoiding unnecessary disc access.
Having the wireless on has caused audio issues including audio engine shutdown - don't know why but this makes a big difference.  

I generally don't have any other apps running when I'm doing DAW work, so haven't really tested that out......but, then again, I don't really use more than 30-40 tracks going on at once with fx's. Also, never have had any wireless stuff on at any time.

Thanks Steven

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account