• Computers
  • Has anybody installed a Thunderbolt card into a desktop PC?
2017/09/09 21:46:08
dannyjmusic
Just wondering if it's possible to use the new TAC 2R with a desktop pc...I have a Lenovo desktop and assume you need a thunderbolt card if one exists...any suggestions? Thanks!
2017/09/09 23:06:49
THambrecht
Just read about this audio-interface. It's ONLY for Apple.
A thunderbold-card for PC is not so easy and very expensive.
The Windows OS is not made for thunderbolt. I guess you lose all advantages of low latency if you are running such an audio-interface over Windows.

2017/09/09 23:20:37
dannyjmusic
Thanks
2017/09/09 23:25:12
Joe_A
A usb type C gives near same if not same, and is on HP laptops, cand add to desktops.
2017/09/10 18:58:40
Audioicon
dannyjmusic
Just wondering if it's possible to use the new TAC 2R with a desktop pc...I have a Lenovo desktop and assume you need a thunderbolt card if one exists...any suggestions? Thanks!

Well, a card will not work without a supporting Motherboard. You need to first get a Motherboard supporting Thunderbolt, some motherboards come ready with this connectivity, such as this:

Z170-PREMIUM

It is no longer ONLY a Mac thing, you can get this on Windows but it will not work with older MOBO.
2017/09/10 19:21:16
THambrecht
It's not a problem of the thunderbolt-card. The drivers and the control panel is only for MAC.
Even the installation guide of the TAC-2 says:

Supported operating systems:
The supported operating systems are as follows.
Mac OS X 10.8.5 (or later)

You will get no driver and no control panel under Windows.

2017/09/10 19:30:20
Sanderxpander
Thunderbolt itself works fine on Windows but as THambrecht pointed out the card will still need Windows drivers. Like Apogee stuff, the TAC-2 seems Mac only at the moment.
2017/09/12 12:23:18
stevenpanter
I'm using a Focusrite Clarett 8-pre on Windows 10 with an Asus motherboard and thunderbolt card and this works fine at a latency of 1.8ms. So it can be done but I think I'm right in saying that you need Windows 10.

Now if Focusrite would just get around to updating their Windows drivers so that they are no longer in beta...
2017/09/12 12:37:04
Pragi
stevenpanter
I'm using a Focusrite Clarett 8-pre on Windows 10 with an Asus motherboard and thunderbolt card and this works fine at a latency of 1.8ms. So it can be done but I think I'm right in saying that you need Windows 10.

Now if Focusrite would just get around to updating their Windows drivers so that they are no longer in beta...

Steven, 
waiting for windows thunderbolt support here since years ,
this is good news.
Can you tell which Asus mobo and which thunderbold card you are using ?

Thanks in advance
2017/09/12 13:29:09
chuckebaby
yup, even my older ASrock z97 pro Motherboard has a Thunderbolt AIC Connector
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme6/?cat=Specifications
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account