• Computers
  • Has anybody installed a Thunderbolt card into a desktop PC? (p.2)
2017/09/12 14:09:51
Pragi
Hello Chuck,
don´t know if every thunderbolt A/C connector is 
working on windows systems , there seem to be some special requirements.

I have to investigate this article :
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/213525925-Clarett-Windows-Getting-Started

thank you
2017/09/12 14:24:16
Pragi
If I understand right ,
thunderbolt 3 ports are not official supported,
but 1 and 2  work !?
Your mobo seems to work with a clarett interface.
2017/09/12 14:32:02
Sanderxpander
stevenpanter
I'm using a Focusrite Clarett 8-pre on Windows 10 with an Asus motherboard and thunderbolt card and this works fine at a latency of 1.8ms. So it can be done but I think I'm right in saying that you need Windows 10.

Now if Focusrite would just get around to updating their Windows drivers so that they are no longer in beta...

I have no doubt about Thunderbolt's speed but that seems an unrealistic RTL figure, do you mean 1.8ms ASIO buffer size? How many samples and what is your samplerate?
2017/09/12 18:57:10
Jim Roseberry
chuckebaby
yup, even my older ASrock z97 pro Motherboard has a Thunderbolt AIC Connector
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97%20Extreme6/?cat=Specifications

Microsoft does not support "PCIe via Thunderbolt" with Thunderbolt-2 controllers (only Thunderbolt-3).

Thunderbolt works great under Win10... but you've got to meet all the following conditions:
  • Motherboard that has a Thunderbolt-3 controller (provides Thunderbolt-3 via USB-C port)
  • Up-to-date install of Win10
  • Audio interface driver needs to support "PCIe via Thunderbolt" under Windows 10
  • Thunderbolt-3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt-2 adapter - all Thunderbolt audio interfaces are currently Thunderbolt-2
Don't assume that because your motherboard has USB-C port/s that it has a Thunderbolt-3 controller.
USB-C ports can carry Thunderbolt or USB-3.1.
Many motherboards have USB-C ports for USB-3.1... but don't have a Thunderbolt-3 controller.

2017/09/12 18:58:47
Jim Roseberry
Any audio interface connected via Thunderbolt-2 controller (under Windows) is running Firewire protocol via Thunderbolt (not PCIe via Thunderbolt - which is what you need for PCIe level performance).

2017/09/12 19:02:00
Jim Roseberry
Directly from the Focusrite website:

Known issues:
- Glitchy audio/enumeration issues when using Thunderbolt 3 connections via an adapter. Please note that Thunderbolt 3 connectivity is NOT yet supported.
Cubase 8.5 crashes after the save when closing down a project with MIDI tracks.
- Driver installer optimisations
2017/09/12 19:03:09
Jim Roseberry
At this moment...
MOTU, RME, and UA all have "PCIe via Thunderbolt" drivers actually available for Win10.
2017/09/12 21:48:50
Sanderxpander
Considering all these ifs and buts, and the great performance of many USB2 interfaces, one might wonder why you'd actually trouble yourself with a Thunderbolt one unless your I/O needs are very high or the interface you're considering has other desirable features.

I can't shake the feeling that many people feel like a TB card will give them better latency figures just because it's TB, same as with USB3.
2017/09/13 06:18:53
Neil_Hines
stevenpanter
I'm using a Focusrite Clarett 8-pre on Windows 10 with an Asus motherboard and thunderbolt card and this works fine at a latency of 1.8ms. So it can be done but I think I'm right in saying that you need Windows 10.

Now if Focusrite would just get around to updating their Windows drivers so that they are no longer in beta...

@ Which Asus Motherboard and Thunderbolt card are you using?
2017/09/13 14:33:44
Jim Roseberry
PCIe level performance allows super small ASIO buffer sizes (as low as 16-samples with some hardware).
That's the only real advantage to Thunderbolt (if all conditions are met).

All the talk about bandwidth is meaningless... unless you're running a large commercial facility and working at high sample-rates.  24 channels of I/O isn't near saturating the bandwidth of USB-2.

The UA Apollo Thunderbolt series is nice (average noise-floor is about -116dB).
However, the lowest ASIO buffer size is 32-samples... and yields round-trip latency right about equal to the RME Fireface UFX at a 48-sample ASIO buffer size.

If you decide to go Thunderbolt, you've got to read all the fine print.
Otherwise, you may be disappointed... or (worse) have a non-functional combination.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account