• SONAR
  • Help! Laptop hard drive died
2018/12/01 16:25:23
stevetrusty11
So, my laptop seems to have gone unresponsive. I can’t load up windows 7. Script errors and “missing 2 hdds”
Can’t load safe mode of any sort.

My question is how can I transfer everything to my new computer with this mishap? I’ve got so many plugins, addictive drums, izotope, splat, bandlab etc..

I have a backup hard drive with all files except the most recent song I’ve been working on via bandlab. Up to about a month ago. I really really really don’t want to re record. I was almost done with the song.

My plan is to remove the laptop hard drive which is a seagate I believe and hook it up to my desktop computer via usb and hopefully I can at least access my files and save my most recent work on the song.. one song and it’s files is all I need out of the 400 gigs in use. I’m trying to avoid having the hard drive professionally recovered when their gonna charge to get stuff off I already have. It’s literally probably 2 gigs of that.

Where would I locate the songs folder/data?
“Cakewalk projects”??
Then basically just paste it to my new computer?

What about splat?? Will I still be able to get that back on the new computer??

Hp Pavillion g6 500gig 4g ram

I’m at a loss and will take any help I can get.

Thanks
2018/12/01 16:50:03
abacab
If the hard drive is still readable via USB on a working computer, you should be in good shape as far as recovering any project files or data from the drive.

Unfortunately you will need to reinstall all applications and plugins from scratch onto your new computer.  Due to the way Windows install applications, the installer routines make the necessary registry settings, copy the needed files into the proper folder locations, etc.  More complicated than simply dragging and dropping program folders onto the new desktop.
2018/12/01 16:55:52
abacab
stevetrusty11

Where would I locate the songs folder/data?
“Cakewalk projects”??
Then basically just paste it to my new computer?

You will probably find your projects there, unless you specified a custom location in "Preferences > Folder Locations".
2018/12/01 17:13:27
Cactus Music
As John has said if your drive will still spin up the data might still be accessible. 
If you don't have a desktop computer then purchase a cheap drive enclosure from New Egg or Amazon.  
Make sure to get the correct size buy removing the one from your laptop first. 
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182313

2018/12/01 17:15:15
abacab
stevetrusty11

What about splat?? Will I still be able to get that back on the new computer??

You can install Cakewalk Command Center and use that to reinstall Splat.  https://www.cakewalk.com/Command-Center

Then use BandLab Assistant to reinstall CbB.  https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Your 3rd party plugins should be available from their manufacturer's website.  With XLN, you can sign onto your account on the web and install the latest XLN Online Installer, authorize your new computer, install your XLN plugins, etc.  XLN can be installed on two computers.  https://www.xlnaudio.com/install

With iZotope, you can install on multiple machines.  https://www.izotope.com/en/support/knowledge-base/installing-and-authorizing-on-multiple-computers.html

Other companies may have different requirements.  Celemony Melodyne allows two computers.  Waves is limited to one computer at a time, but you can move your license.  Many do offer only a one or two computer license, so that you will need to release at least one license from the old computer, if all of your available activations are in use.  You will probably need to go through and make a list of all your plugin serials, registrations, and site logins, in case you encounter any activation issues.
2018/12/01 17:40:04
michael diemer
It may be worth your while to try to repair the hard drive. There are cases where this is possible. I would check on Tom's Hardware or Sevenforums for help. If you can get it to boot, you can make image which you can put on a new hard drive. This would save you having to reinstall everything. On the other hand, it may be better to just go ahead and reinstall windows and all your proigrams. Although a royal pain and very time consuming, you do come away with a brand new system, which will work really well. Until it gets mucked up again, which windows always does...

This is why I prefer desktop computers for serious work. You can at least have 2 hard drives, and you can put most everything but windows and Cakewalk on the secondary drive, which saves you having to reinstall everything when the C drive expires. 

Another way to access the files on the drive: download a live Linux system on a USB. Plug it in to the laptop. You should be able to access the drive's files from Linux. You could then use another usb to copy them to. This has the advantage of being free, except for the usb drive (linux is free). 
2018/12/01 17:48:12
fireberd
Another reason to have a (current) full disc backup (disc image).  With a backup, to an external drive, with a program such as the free and popular Macrium Reflect its a relatively quick task to get a new hard drive configured, even in a laptop.

Jack's law:  Backups are not for IF they are ever needed, but for WHEN they are needed.

2018/12/01 21:39:06
michael diemer
fireberd
Another reason to have a (current) full disc backup (disc image).  With a backup, to an external drive, with a program such as the free and popular Macrium Reflect its a relatively quick task to get a new hard drive configured, even in a laptop.

Jack's law:  Backups are not for IF they are ever needed, but for WHEN they are needed.

Absolutely. If you had a system image, you would just need to buy a new drive, and copy the image to it. Can't help you now, but be sure to do it once you get up and running, for the next time. And there will be a next time, as Jack's law states (and we can all confirm).
2018/12/01 22:08:12
abacab
Jack's law, part II:  Don't get jacked!!! 
2018/12/01 22:46:42
michael diemer
must be an inside joke.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account