2017/08/01 17:17:41
tonyzub999
I have lots of gear, some of it outboard.  I have been thinking more and more of simplifying my setup.  How many of you are using laptops as your primary setup (no desktop) and are you satisfied with your output.  I am leaning toward using a mobile workstation and tracking and mixing completely in the box.  I am not doing a high volume of production.  What do you think. 
2017/08/01 17:39:52
AndyB01
I'm considering doing the same thing and downshifting from custom desktop to a laptop. Question is which one and what spec - the $64,000 question as always.
2017/08/01 18:24:49
Jim Roseberry
A "laptop" can be anything from a $500 Walmart special... on up to a custom running a desktop CPU.
HUGE difference between the performance (and price).
All depends on what specifically you're looking to do... and how hard you're pushing the hardware.
2017/08/01 18:30:21
mesayre
I'm actually heading the opposite direction and switching back to a desktop. Shopping right now for a cheap one.

I work entirely in the box. I bought this for mobility, but I can count the times my laptop has left my house on one hand. In 5 years. By the time I bring an audio interface, whatever monitoring equipment I need, a mini keyboard, and maybe a guitar, it's not like I'm all that mobile anyway. I work mostly as a composer for media, so your needs may not be the same as mine.

Also an annoyance - you have to make sure your laptop has a very, very quiet fan, or no fan at all. Because there's no way to get away from that fan, and almost no way to upgrade/replace it. Beware.

I might pick up a cheap laptop if I need to do edits on the go or something, but for the main machine I don't see the value. The tradeoffs in price, ergonomics, power, and upgradeability just aren't worth it. 

YMMV, of course.
2017/08/01 19:00:32
Sanderxpander
I've always had a strong laptop to go along my main production PC. But since I did more and more mobile work and I've been remodeling my home (and studio situation), I've stuck with my laptop as primary. I honestly haven't missed my desktop at all, but I'm pretty lucky with my setup.

I have a Clevo P771-DM1-G. It has a desktop i7 6700 (non-K, didn't see the need) in it, with 16GB RAM (room for 64) This particular laptop has room for two mSATA disks (I have one PCIe Samsung 950 Pro 256GB for OS) and two standard 2.5" disks (I have an old 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD for samples and a 1TB data drive). No DVD drive though. Also, three regular USB3 ports, one high power USB port shared with eSATAp and one USB-C port that doubles as Thunderbolt. And one HDMI port and two display ports. I struggle to think what else I could need on it. It has a lighted keyboard and a 17 inch full HD screen.

If you have any questions about it I'd be happy to answer them. I'm very happy with this setup. Most of the time I use it with an RME Fireface UCX, but I'll happily hook up whatever digital desk is at the studio I'm at.
2017/08/01 19:13:44
tonyzub999
Jim, I agree. If the laptop as primary works, I will go with a mobile workstation or higher end laptop. If not, I will opt for a less expensive laptop and get a new desktop. Right now both of my current computers are inadequate.
2017/08/22 09:34:24
soens
Higher end 17" gaming lappy here with 2nd 24" monitor and like it. Quiet and fast. Handles Sonar with outboard gear just fine. Cost is normally around $2500 but got this one on sale and upgraded it for $1500. Used as my main computer. Haven't turned on the old desk top in years. Just a big door stop now.
2017/08/22 10:47:54
fireberd
I'll keep my desktop.  I actually "hate" laptops mainly because of their keyboards.  I have a laptop that I use for on-site recordings but that is only for the recordings.  I transfer the projects to my desktop and do everything there.
2017/08/22 13:16:53
Sanderxpander
There are vast differences between laptop keyboards. I used to do exactly the same but with my laptops current config it's just unnecessary.
2017/08/22 13:46:08
fret_man
All I have is a laptop (from ADK, great company, great customer service) and I only have 2 issues: the fan can be noisy, I've run out of USB ports (I know, I know, I can get a USB hub - but I'd rather plug in a USB expansion card into a backplane). Other than those, I've had absolutely no problems running anything.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account