2017/08/09 16:16:59
twaddle
As the message says, which would people recommend as the best option for my system drive?
A lot of comments I've read say you don't really see much improvement in terms of performance with SSD's apart from quicker boot times so perhaps if that's the case a hybrid drive would do just as well.

One thing that bugs me about my drive is how noisey it sems to be although I'm not entirely sure if all the noise is related to my drive and may even be my outboard mixer (Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer) which is said to be quite noisey.

This is for a desktop by the way. I want something quiet, fast and cheap/ish

Cheers

Steve
2017/08/09 16:44:19
TheSteven
If it's in the budget go SSD.
2017/08/09 16:48:42
interpolated
Hybrid might be OK for an OS and applications if that is all required although for samples and projects all the way.

2017/08/09 16:48:55
TheSteven

Don't know if this qualifies as 'cheapish' but

Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 2.5" 1TB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDEC1TB
on sale today at NewEgg for $249
I have these in 2 of my family's PCs and have had zero issues.

edit: just noticed that you're in the UK...
2017/08/09 16:54:14
TheSteven
and no a hybrid does not work as well as SSD.
A hybrid is like adding a spoiler fin to your VW, you keep telling yourself it's faster but can't really prove it.
An SSD is like replacing your VW with V8 Muscle car - you have no doubt that it's faster and you wonder why the hell you kept the VW for as long as you did.
2017/08/09 16:54:51
mettelus
Both boot and program loading times are substantially faster on an SSD. No moving parts, so no noise. Anything on it will access quickly.

An SSHD typically has only 8GB of "SSD" which will primarily affect only the boot speed. The remainder is a traditional mechanical HDD (moving parts, slower access, more noise).

The above does imply better suitability of a drive (any will work), but the differences in characteristics.
2017/08/09 17:03:02
interpolated
The best solution for somebody is a NVME- SSD drive which essentially will work really fast and silent. Alternatively a SATA SSD however I think I would still like one mechanical drive for back-ups.

2017/08/10 10:51:41
twaddle
Thanks for the comments all, think I'll probably go for an SSD drive although the NVME drives look good I'm not sure my board has a spare slot for one but will have to take a peek as there isn't much price difference between a 500GB SSD and the same size NVME drive.

Steve
2017/08/10 19:47:32
abacab
SSD all the way!  The only downside to them is that it will make you hate any computers you have left running only HDD! 
2017/08/10 20:54:20
AndyB01
Only downside of SSDs is failure. I have had two fail on me in five years. No warning, no symptoms, you just switch on one day and your drive has vanished - game over. Robust backup (think CrashPlan cloud-based real time sync) is essential to avoid data loss. That said I wouldn't switch back to mechanical from choice as SSD reliability continues to improve.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account