• Computers
  • SSD drive or hybrid as C drive (p.2)
2017/08/10 21:58:39
interpolated
Memory platforms are improving. MLC and newer so-called 3d memory platforms are becoming the norm. Unfortunately just like SDRAM, memory can fail so this is why I would always make back-ups to another source. Even a low-capacity hybrid hard-drive if you want to improve the performance with fast Cache memory which is really important for fast mechanical drives.

2017/08/10 22:49:01
abacab
AndyB01
Only downside of SSDs is failure. I have had two fail on me in five years. No warning, no symptoms, you just switch on one day and your drive has vanished - game over. Robust backup (think CrashPlan cloud-based real time sync) is essential to avoid data loss. That said I wouldn't switch back to mechanical from choice as SSD reliability continues to improve.

Was either of those failed SSDs a Samsung?
2017/08/10 22:55:01
abacab
I use Macrium Reflect 6 Free to make a fresh image of my 250GB SSD drive every day onto an external USB3 portable drive.  With WinPE recovery on a 16GB flash drive, I'm ready for anything! 

Each scheduled image takes about 25 minutes, and I can even keep on working while it does it's thing. 

2017/08/11 18:20:46
AndyB01
abacab
Was either of those failed SSDs a Samsung?

Yes - but we're talking a few years ago - not a recent model
2017/08/11 18:51:15
Zo
There s alot of possible cause for failure ...people think that thers no more mechanical so no problem ...theres physic laws and we re in a physical word , a simple guy puting his laptop too much near his monitoring without shield , have more chance of afaikure , or a guy travelling a lot in those airport crappy securitybchekc ...., hear , humidty , ect ... varaiables are all around , even the computer where it. Is installed , the quality of power ect ....
2017/08/11 19:08:22
abacab
I have always used a UPS power backup.  Have had almost no hardware failures in over 15 years, except one portable hard drive, a few GPU's and a few CD-DVD/RW drives.  My motherboards, HDDs, and power supplies have always seemed to outlive their usefulness.

So power and heat (plus EMI or solar flares - you need to build a faraday cage for that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage) are probably the biggest threats.  Always use a top quality power supply, good case fans and cooling setup.  I really believe a good UPS keeps the power input cleaner to the PC power supply.  No spikes or surges, etc. should benefit in longer component life.

Of course if you buy circuit boards with crappy capacitors, you get what you pay for.  I've replaced boards for friends that have expired due to leaking, bulging, capacitors.  Always buy quality components!
2017/08/14 20:57:43
AndyB01
Yep actually that's a good shout (a UPS) one of mine died after a sudden power outage and when the power came back on tbe drive didn't. I've invested in a surge protector since then but some battery backup would be a better prevention. More of a problem on a desktop than a laptop obviously.
2017/08/14 21:22:17
abacab
Yup, laptop has a built-in battery backup ...

Heat and vibration, or drops, are probably the laptops biggest challenges.
2017/08/14 23:18:31
DrLumen
+1 for the UPS!

Naturally, I can't point to anything as proof but it seems I have had a lot less trouble with my systems since using them. Likewise, with other gear while using a whole home surge suppressor. I have to hope (maybe foolishly) that it has saved something.
2017/08/14 23:43:47
abacab
DrLumen
+1 for the UPS!

Naturally, I can't point to anything as proof but it seems I have had a lot less trouble with my systems since using them. Likewise, with other gear while using a whole home surge suppressor. I have to hope (maybe foolishly) that it has saved something.

I worked with an enterprise network support team for years, and it was no coincidence that our major data centers that were protected with whole building UPS rarely had power surge related issues,  while our remote offices had frequent outages, and damaged gear, during summer thunderstorm season...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account