• Computers
  • SSD drive or hybrid as C drive (p.3)
2017/08/18 04:53:41
BRuys
I do IT support for a site that deployed a large number of Hybrid drives to the desktop.  They were nice and fast when they were new, but we've been replacing them, because they have got horribly slow with age.  Not sure why this is, but Hybrids aren't aging well at all.

As others have said, SSDs can fail suddenly with no warning, so backups are essential.
2017/08/18 12:08:45
abacab
BRuys

As others have said, SSDs can fail suddenly with no warning, so backups are essential.

I have Macrium Reflect Free scheduled to image my SSD daily.

$50 for a USB3 portable external drive to write the image backups ...  Peace of mind, priceless!!! 
2017/08/24 17:17:18
DrLumen
I guess I jinxed myself. I had a system board go bad last Sunday. Got one shipped out and replaced it. Then, while re-configuring the NIC and resetting the network, the AC adapter for the FIOS router went out.

When it rains...
2017/08/24 17:27:30
abacab
All that in spite of a UPS and whole home surge suppressor?  Wow!

I know that a sometimes overlooked path for a hit is the phone or cable system wiring. 

I have a friend whose motherboard was fried during a nearby lightning strike that came in over his network cabling into his NIC.  In that case, using a WiFi NIC could have saved his bacon!
2017/08/24 20:18:04
DrLumen
I think it was just a matter of bad luck rather than any external forces. The MB had been flaky for a while and the AC adapter was almost 8 years old. I think if there had been a surge across the cable connection, the gear between the demarc point and the system would likely have been fried too. One good thing is that glass fiber probably doesn't conduct lightning surges like copper (not sure about some type of electrical skin effect). Plus, the service is underground.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account