2017/08/10 03:40:53
SonicExplorer
Guys, I know this asking a lot to predict, but thought I'd toss this out there....

Any idea if I would be able to swap out a motherboard without Windows XP freaking out in some way?  Licensing, etc?   Here is the exact scenario:

Intel DG41RQ vs. DG41WV boards with the following differences:
- Intel P4 E5500 vs. E5700 CPU's
- DDR2 vs. DDR3 RAM
- FSB speeds a bit different.
- One board has a floppy controller but no IDE, the other has IDE controller but not floppy.
- One board has PCIe x 1 connector, the other does not.  This however is not used.

Everything else the same, right down to chips onboard - audio, GPU, etc.

Basically, these are the same series boards with same series CPU.  And NIC would always be disabled BTW.

Any guess as to what would happen if these motherboards were swapped out?  Would XP transparently adjust to the swap and tolerate it, or would it flip out and/or reject the license?

Sonic

2017/08/10 04:00:43
Sanderxpander
If it's an OEM version of XP I don't think it'd work.
2017/08/10 05:18:30
SonicExplorer
Sanderxpander
If it's an OEM version of XP I don't think it'd work.

It is not OEM, regular license.
2017/08/10 11:30:00
patm300e
Good XP motherboard replacement instructions with pictures:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/replace_motherboard.htm

Good luck! and do back up all those projects, documents, etc.  Just in case!

2017/08/10 13:13:15
Jim Roseberry
If you're making a significant change to the hardware, you'll most likely need to re-authorize Windows.
Doesn't matter if it's an OEM copy of "Full version"...
2017/08/10 19:44:16
abacab
You will need to clean install XP due to the new motherboard. 

Due to the hardware differences, Windows will likely barf if you just try to boot from your original installed drive.  If you want to attempt it without a clean install, make a clone of the original drive first.  If it fails to boot correctly, it may corrupt your configuration on disk.  Or you might get lucky, and boot, but it could be a headache as well with some glitches.  A nice fresh install would result in the best performance.

Then use the MS phone authorization system with your OEM or full license to re-activate.
2017/08/11 06:11:48
Sanderxpander
Jim Roseberry
If you're making a significant change to the hardware, you'll most likely need to re-authorize Windows.

But an OEM copy can generally not be reauthorized on a new mobo, right?
2017/08/11 10:54:01
fireberd

Yes and no.  I've swapped motherboards, different motherboard vendor, in Win 7 that had an OEM version and I had to contact Microsoft but they authorized it.  I did the same thing on another Win 7 system (went from a Gigabyte to ASRock) and that one "self" authorized.  Both of the OEM version OS's were purchased "retail".  However, I've seen cases with a vendor OEM (e.g. Dell, HP, etc) where Microsoft wouldn't reauthorize.  
2017/08/11 11:39:50
abacab
Sanderxpander
Jim Roseberry

Never ran into any roadblocks with either Win XP OEM or Win 7 OEM.  Online activation always failed, but just used the phone activation method and all was good.  I think you get a few activations this way ... but if you do it too often, I've heard you might get blocked.
2017/08/11 12:19:13
Sanderxpander
Huh, I guess I've never tried phone authorization, I understood OEM meant "tied to the system" which I assumed to imply mobo. I wonder if they have a number over here or if I'd need to use the US one. Thanks, I learned something!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account