2017/09/08 13:54:30
perryjermaine1
Currently own a 2009 Dell Ispirion 546. Was looking into getting a pretty intermediate PC dedicated for Audio Production from PCAudioLabs.com but they start at $1500+ upwards $2800. Wondering if a gaming system would be sufficient.
2017/09/08 14:05:33
mettelus
A gaming PC would be more than sufficient; but you will most likely need to do tweaks, remove bloatware, and the graphics card will be overkill for DAW use. If you plan to do video at any point in the future, the graphics card may come in handy down the road, but for audio, it won't do much for you.
2017/09/08 14:06:56
fireberd
A gaming MAY work but it will need some configuration.  
I recently bought a new Dell laptop that will be used for "usual" laptop uses but it will also be used for infrequent on site recordings.  The model I got is an Inspiron 15 5577 which is sold as a "gaming" laptop.  I've got what I didn't want off of it and "tamed down".  Picky Resplendence Latency Mon is happy and shows no problems.  I'll get to find out on the 18th as I have an on site recording scheduled (it was scheduled for Monday 11th but Hurricane Irma cancelled that).  

One thing to consider with a commercial built (e.g. Dell, HP, etc) there isn't much option for upgrading, adding more disc drives, etc.  I had considered a Dell XPS 8900 when I upgraded back in late November but it didn't have the capability to house two CD/DVD drives, have enough rear panel USB ports, etc.  I wound up building my own.  However I am a computer tech (at least I know enough to be dangerous).  If I were looking at a custom built PC for recording I would seriously consider one of the builders that help on here.  Price won't be much different than a high end Dell Alienware (the Dell gaming line) and it will be customized and configured to be a true DAW machine.
2017/09/09 15:04:31
Jesse G
Buy an i7 Windows 10 Desktop PC with at least 8 GB of ram.  Wipe the PC clean and re-install  Windows 10 but not the bloatware that comes with the computer .  Install extra ram, add a dual out video card and  buy matching video monitors and your all set.

Still less than $1,500 and you will still have money left over.
2017/09/09 15:12:14
BobF
FWIW, I purchased a Dell XPS8900 at COSTCO earlier this year.  I was able to pop the cover on a display model to make sure it was what I wanted first.

I had to remove some junkware, but after boosting RAM to 32G, adding HDD and SSD it is a joy.

2017/09/09 21:42:27
soens
Those are said to be whisper quiet... I hear.
2017/09/10 02:48:50
BobF
It's pretty darn quiet, but I wouldn't say 'silent'.  Over all I'm quite pleased.

If I was making a living with this stuff, I would call Jim though.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account