• SONAR
  • My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was... (p.2)
2018/12/01 11:15:39
Steev
Last time I opened SPLAT was completely by accident, a simple unthinking Dogmatic response to a familiar Icon before finishing my first cup of coffee.
 I didn't even realize it was SPLAT until I open a project and the splash screen informing me that the project was created in a new version and might not sound the same...

Not only did my upgrade experience go smoothly, it was MUCH FASTER upgrading through Bandlab Assistant than it ever was using CCC.

Not only is Bandlab improved upon and keeps SPLAT up to date, I have never once had any problems where I had to go back and use SPLAT for anything, and that's a first for me.
 BEST UPGRADE EVER and I've been using Cakewalk for MIDI sequencing since Pro Audio dayz, #1 undefeated champ go to Audio/MIDI DAW since SONAR Producer 4.
2018/12/01 15:36:04
fitzj
I guess its the feeling of getting something for nothing that scars people. It seems to be a inherit instinct in us all that if it's for free then it's no good.
Great software thanks Bandlab.
2018/12/01 23:32:07
Afrodrum
Because of this thread I finally dedicated an hour to upgrade to CbB. Less than 10 minutes later everything is running smoothly. Glad I have done it, there was nothing to worry about.
2018/12/02 18:04:08
ClarkPlaysGuitar
I'm glad to see that this thread has helped a few more folks make the jump. For me part of the hesitation was fear that parallel installations of CbB & Splat would somehow find a way to wreck it all, even though I saw bunches of posts saying it wouldn't be a problem. I'm the kind of guy who has the "one-in-ten-thousand" sort of things happen, all the time, lol. So I procrastinated. But deep down I knew I would make the jump at some point, I just wish I had done it a few months earlier.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their good stories about CbB, too; it is good to know that we once again have the best DAW out there, imho. Keeep rocking & recording everyone!
2018/12/02 21:45:01
embersofautumn
Like others I used and loved Splat but the jump to CbB has been a tremendously positive experience.  I'm so used to it now that I wonder why I waited.

Thanks to Meng and the Bakers.
2018/12/04 00:18:11
Fabio Rubato
I just wish I didn't go out and bought another DAW. I purchased Samplitude ProX3, which is pretty stable but honestly, I just don't the time - or motivation - to really get into it...I just know SPLAT and now Cakewalk so well, I don't have to think about the mechanics...whereas with Samplitude, I'll spend 10min trying to find something that I know instantly in CW. I spent a lot of time, tutorials, money learning over the years, so it's great that I'm not going to lose all that. 

Good job Meng and Bakers...so happy that the amazing Sonar has been continued albeit in another name. +1
2018/12/04 01:59:42
Euthymia
fitzj
I guess its the feeling of getting something for nothing that scars people. It seems to be a inherit instinct in us all that if it's for free then it's no good.

Ooh, Freudian typo. ;-)

Any time someone brings up this "instinct," I remind people of all the excellent freeware we use every day without a second thought, such as the browser you're using to read this, Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, Safari, whatever.

I use so many freeware plug-ins, both FX (the Meldaproduction Free Bundle and the Cockos Reaplugs are excellent) and instruments, that it gave me no pause at all.

There's a very important advantage that the freeware licensing model has which is that when financial survival of the program isn't dependent on selling new licenses, there's less pressure on the development team to come up with "big" features every 6 months.

That leaves them more freedom to squash bugs and implement less flashy features that might not "sell" as well, but make for the kind of happy UX that we're all gushing about in this thread.

Right? The veteran users are not much saying "wow, I really love the new XXXX," but they're bowled over by the best SONAR that never was.

There's no Chord Track, but it doesn't crash with no warning any more and you can rename clips with a right click, change track colors easily, there's a new slick time and pitch stretch engine, there's a note duration picker in the Piano Roll, and whenever someone finds a bug, it's gone!

And usually, that's what a long-term faithful user base loves. They get tired of seeing the same bug(s) persist while big new features arrive that they may not even have a use for yet.
2018/12/04 02:14:13
stratman70
Hmmm! I have to wonder if I am the only guy using Splat exclusively? As I've mentioned before I do have CWbyBL installed and I keep it up to date. 
But until I have issues or until their is something I cannot do in Splat that can be done in BL I have no reason to, I stay with it. The things in CWbyBL that Splat cannot do are not things I need-atm anyway!

But, yes, I was and am very happy that it all took place and continues.................

2018/12/04 06:30:16
losguy

My experience with going from Sonar Platinum to Cakewalk by Bandlab was...

...seamless.

Better in fact, an actual improvement in speed and stability (knocking on wood). With CbB I finished up existing projects that were started in SPLAT and started many new ones, and never missed a lick. Crashes that were frequent in SPLAT went practically nonexistent in CbB. Kudos and Losguy Hat-Tips to Noel, Meng and the gang!

Like Fabio above, I did happen to go out and -gasp- get another DAW (StudioOne 3 for me then - now SO 4) and I do now realize that it was *not* necessary. In my defense, that was during the darkest time just before the dawn of CbB and I simply succumbed to the pressure - oh me of little faith! That said, like Marshall above I am also realizing that it can be valuable to be conversant in more than one DAW. You do pick up more new techniques through an alternate thought process, sort of like you do with audio editors (Audition / Samplitude / etc). In my case, I'm planning to configure a live setup with SO4 to get some practical use out of that platform.

2018/12/04 12:01:55
Johnbee58
I went from X3 Studio to CbB so my experience was more of a plus, having access to new tools and utilities that I never had before.  In fact, I still haven't gotten around to trying everything CbB (formerly SPLAT) has to offer over X3S.
I can see where your (OP's) experience was probably more of a non event, but had I not been in between projects I would've waited to finish the project I was working on before transitioning, just to play it safe.  I know there really isn't a valid reason to feel that way, other than paranoia, but that's way I am.

Anyway, glad it's working for you.  Glad it's working for all of us.

John B.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account