2007/08/10 16:40:00
space_cowboy
Hi
I installed the Dim Pro sample library some time ago and it is on my C drive. My C drive is getting pretty full. I would like to put this on my F drive where I keep my other samples and stuff.

Is it as simple as just moving it in Windows or is there something registry or Dim Pro related that I need to be aware of?

Thanks
2007/08/10 18:09:17
techead
Two steps on Windows:

1. Move your content to the new location.
2. Update the registry key that Dimension Pro uses to locate its multisamples.

The registry key is documented in Dimension Pro's readme file.

I wrote a simple Windows program (only works for the original Dimension and Dimension Pro--I've never updated it for Dimension LE or Rapture--and on Windows 2000/XP--never tested with Vista and is certainly not Vista compliant) called tweakDimension which will let you pick the folder without editing the registry directly for step #2 above.

You can download the tweakDimension program from my web server on Monday--the server is offline at the moment but will be back online sometime Sunday evening.
-Techead
2007/08/10 19:11:48
space_cowboy
Thanks I will look Sunday or Monday
2007/08/12 21:12:23
techead
My web server is back online now. You can follow the links and instructions at the tweakDimension page of the Project5 Wiki.
2007/08/12 21:37:31
Infinite5ths
Also, for future reference you might be interested in this thread where Rene posted info about installing Dimension Pro without installing the content (i.e. you already have the content on another drive):

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=831312
2007/08/17 12:34:50
space_cowboy
I blew this one bad. I moved the sample library and ran the tool above. Now Dimension cannot find the samples. I moved it back where I had started and it double cant find them.

Help!
2007/08/17 12:54:02
techead
ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

I blew this one bad. I moved the sample library and ran the tool above. Now Dimension cannot find the samples. I moved it back where I had started and it double cant find them.

Help!

The default location for both the Content folder and the Multisamples folder for a default Dimension Pro install is "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\", so if you move your content folders and multisample folders to that location you will have the content at its original standard location.

Next, you must make sure the registry entries are correct. You can either manually edit them with Windows Regedit or you can use tweakDimension to do it. tweakDimension will show you the currently used folders for those registry entries when you launch it. You simply need to make sure that tweakDimension (or Regedit) are pointing to the same location as your actual folders.

If you tweak the registry entries by hand be sure to remember that each entry MUST end with a trailing slash.

2007/08/17 12:59:36
space_cowboy
By the way, it did not detect the original registry entry when I started this mess
2007/08/17 13:02:34
space_cowboy
Hey Tech, how do I manually edit the registry to fix this?

Also, I just checked. I have dimension under c:\programs\cakewalk\
Under there is a number of folders, including multi-samples and programs. I do not see content.
2007/08/17 19:10:44
techead
For a default installation you should have

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\

And within that main Cakewalk directory there will be a Dimension Pro subdirector like this:

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\

Then, under that Dimension Pro directory will be more folders for content, multisamples, documentation, etc.

First, you need to use tweakDimension to point to "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\" to get the registry back to the way it was (or use Microsoft's regedit tool by going to "Start | Run | regedit.exe"--Dimension Pro's registry subkeys are under MyComputer\LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Dimension Pro ).

Second, you need to make sure that the physical location of all Dimension Pro files and folders are within the file system hierarchy mentioned above. If your file system layout did not get moved back the way it was originally before you had moved it then you need to reorganize as described here. You can also read about the default file system layout of Dimension Pro on page 26 of the Dimension Pro PDF manual that was installed with Dimension Pro (the online helpful has file system layout info as well).
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account