• Computers
  • Suggestions on a PC upgrade with Sonar Platinum (p.2)
2017/07/24 19:55:52
ForeignPolicy22
It looks like a lot of people favor Mac computers for audio recording, but there are also some that say PC is the way to go. I have never used a Mac, but if it gets me what I want in recording I will gladly use one. Lots of people recommend going to craigslist and that you can usually find something for a lot less than amazon or Best Buy. I will have to weigh my options some more.
2017/07/25 13:49:24
ForeignPolicy22
Looks like a Mac is out of the question since you can't run Sonar Platinum on anything but windows. I've been reading up on home recording and desktops. Looking at many different desktops: Dell, Acer, Lavono, CybortronPC, etc. From what I've read it would be good to have a quad core processor at least 2GHz speed. 8-16GB.

I looked on Craigslist and there is a guy who makes custom gaming PC's and sells them for a decent price. Maybe I'll give him a call. Still trying to figure this out.
2017/07/25 14:12:26
Zargg
If you live in the US, and can stretch the budget a little more..
Perhaps check out http://studiocat.com/opencart2/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56
That would give you a pro audio pc, ready to go right out of the gate.
He's a SONAR user, and has a good reputation here (probably elsewhere as well) 
His name is Jim Roseberry
All the best
2017/07/25 16:57:47
ForeignPolicy22
Zargg
If you live in the US, and can stretch the budget a little more..
Perhaps check out http://studiocat.com/opencart2/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56
That would give you a pro audio pc, ready to go right out of the gate.
He's a SONAR user, and has a good reputation here (probably elsewhere as well) 
His name is Jim Roseberry
All the best

Looks pretty sweet. Maybe some years from now but I don't plan on spending that much yet. I just want enough to take care of my latency/delay problem. Thanks for the link though I appreciate the advice and I will definitely remember about those!

Someone a town over from me makes custom gaming computers I saw his ads on craigslist so I'm gonna give him a call and see how much he knows about building for audio.
2017/07/25 19:24:29
Zargg
If you can see my signature, I have no issues running +50 tracks projects on it.
That would come to well under half the price of the one mentioned above.
(AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2, GeForce GT 610)
2017/07/25 21:56:47
ForeignPolicy22
Zargg
If you can see my signature, I have no issues running +50 tracks projects on it.

I'm not sure I understand what computer that is exactly. Is that something you custom built? Those are the parts you put in it. I'm not as computer savvy as you guys haha! Today I was looking at a Dell Inspiron and an ASUS M32CD-B14 Desktop - 7th Gen Intel® Core i7-7700 processor, 3.6 GHz, 12 GB RAM. I'm not sure what I am going to go with yet... still just getting a feel for it

2017/07/26 03:55:37
ForeignPolicy22
I almost went out and bought a Dell Inspiron 3668 12 GB today. But then when I was leaving to go buy it. I turned around. I figured I will get a new interface first. Maybe this is a problem with the interface. I've been reading that the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has been giving a lot of people this delay/latency problem. Mine is a 1st generation so I'm thinking it might have been updated to a 2nd generation for a reason. I figure I'll look into interfaces and buy that first. If I still can't fix the problem then I can do the PC. I want a new computer at some point anyway but I just don't know if I need anything crazy as long as I can get the delay to stop.

I did some researching and looking around and I ended up getting the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD. It was pretty cheap and has a lot of good reviews and in particular it was this trait:

Zero-Latency Monitering

"The UMC202HD mix control allows zero-latency direct monitoring, which means musicians can experience their performance clearly “ with no delay or lag in the returning signal, resulting in a better performance and recording. A powerful phones output has its own level control and Monitor A/B source select for DJ-style cueing. Free audio recording, editing and podcasting software, plus 150 instrument and effects plug-ins are included"

So, we'll see how that works out first...
2017/07/26 08:45:39
Zargg
ForeignPolicy22
Zargg

I'm not sure I understand what computer that is exactly. Is that something you custom built? Those are the parts you put in it. I'm not as computer savvy as you guys haha! Today I was looking at a Dell Inspiron and an ASUS M32CD-B14 Desktop - 7th Gen Intel® Core i7-7700 processor, 3.6 GHz, 12 GB RAM. I'm not sure what I am going to go with yet... still just getting a feel for it

Sorry! I should have clarified. It is a custom build pc.
I thought more about the specs being good enough for me, so they might do it for you.
I built / bought mine to a (low as possible) budget.

2017/07/26 13:41:33
Mesh
One thing to be aware of is most off the shelf PC's use somewhat inferior components as they're built/sold for general day to day consumer usage (not for pro audio usage)......you may get lucky and get a good/stable machine, but there's a bit of risk with getting one off the shelf.

It's actually not that hard at all to build your own system (just take a look at some Youtube videos) as you'll have complete control in what goes in your machine (hardware & software) while avoiding all the bloatware that comes in off the shelf machines.

If you're inclined to do it, there's a lot of very knowledgeable people in here that will help you out (i.e. Chuckebaby)....it's also more rewarding when you do build it yourself.   

Best of luck!! 
2017/07/26 20:11:15
abacab
There are a few places that will sell you the barebones PC parts and then assemble the kit and burn-in for you.  Or you can have parts only shipped only if you wish.  You can get a PC with case, power supply, CPU, RAM, drives, etc., but without an installed OS, and take it from there.

Barebones options are good for first timers, because you don't have to worry about part selection as much.  But you still have a bit of control.  Here is one place that sells them.  This is just an example, not a recommendation.

Warranty: Assembled and tested (1 year parts, lifetime labor). 

Lifetime tech support: Customers who purchased a custom built product from AVADirect are entitled to free technical hardware-related support for the lifetime of their product.

http://www.avadirect.com/custom-barebones-desktops
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account