• Computers
  • Suggestions on a PC upgrade with Sonar Platinum (p.3)
2017/07/26 20:56:13
musical
You can use the second generation 2i2 drivers with the first generation interface. These drivers will give you much, much lower latency if your PC is fast enough. On my Dell laptop, with i5-6440HQ I can get below 6ms, if I remember correctly (I'm on holiday in Italy).

Download the second generation drivers from Focusrite before doing anything else. They will work with your first generation interface (just don't select 192kHz). It is just that Focusrite doesn't want to publicise the fact for fear of jeopardising upgrade sales.
2017/07/26 21:23:53
interpolated
You know I might do this.......did consider that anyway. 2i4 though

2017/07/27 13:30:14
Mesh
musical
You can use the second generation 2i2 drivers with the first generation interface. These drivers will give you much, much lower latency if your PC is fast enough. On my Dell laptop, with i5-6440HQ I can get below 6ms, if I remember correctly (I'm on holiday in Italy).

Download the second generation drivers from Focusrite before doing anything else. They will work with your first generation interface (just don't select 192kHz). It is just that Focusrite doesn't want to publicise the fact for fear of jeopardising upgrade sales.

Thanks Terry....that's a great idea and will definitely try it on my 2i4!!
2017/07/27 16:40:54
ForeignPolicy22
musical

Wow. I didn't even think of that. Should have been self evident I guess but I didn't of it. Thanks. That will really help me to zero in further. I also have the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD if I still have issues. Thanks for telling me this!
2017/07/27 16:43:38
musical
On the subject of a replacement PC, I recommend Dell Outlet. I managed to get a Dell Mobile Workstation M3510 with quad core i5-6440hq, 256GB M2 SSD, 16GB Ram, large battery, W10 Pro, nice full HD display, backlit keyboard, lots of ports, dedicated graphics for £568+VAT. Not the prettiest but great build quality, solid as a rock and eats whatever I throw at it. I've since added a 256GB M2 drive in the modem slot and replaced the SSD with a 512GB NVME. If you keep looking, you can get very high powered machines at good prices.
2017/07/27 16:50:37
ForeignPolicy22
I ended up getting a Dell Inspiron 580 desktop for $80 off a guy on craigslist yesterday. I figure it just gives me something for now to only do music on until I can build my own computer. Keep in mind I'm only doing vocal tracks over hip-hop beats.

The specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 650 / 3.2 GHz
RAM: GB / 8 GB
Capacity: 1 TB

Not bad for now. Between this and the new interface or installing the 2nd generation software on my Scarlett 2i2 it should be able to take care of the delay. Still setting it up though so I haven't tested it out yet...

2017/07/27 18:51:57
abacab
ForeignPolicy22
I ended up getting a Dell Inspiron 580 desktop for $80 off a guy on craigslist yesterday. I figure it just gives me something for now to only do music on until I can build my own computer. Keep in mind I'm only doing vocal tracks over hip-hop beats.

The specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 650 / 3.2 GHz
RAM: GB / 8 GB
Capacity: 1 TB

Not bad for now. Between this and the new interface or installing the 2nd generation software on my Scarlett 2i2 it should be able to take care of the delay. Still setting it up though so I haven't tested it out yet...

That should work fine.  Dual core at 3.2 Ghz is probably all you need for now.

You could probably pull that CPU and sell it for $100.

The good thing about Dell is that they put their service manuals on their website, and keep driver downloads available for years.  Handy if you wipe and reinstall the OS.

Or in a year you could probably sell the whole thing and get your $80 back!
2017/08/01 17:18:01
Sanderxpander
I don't know why nobody has mentioned this but your Focusrite Scarlett also has direct monitoring for zero latency. This prevents you from using reverb from Sonar during tracking (unless you can stand the reverb having a delay) but your dry sound will have no discernable latency at all. This has nothing to do with your computer speed.
2017/08/02 01:18:17
ForeignPolicy22
Sanderxpander
I don't know why nobody has mentioned this but your Focusrite Scarlett also has direct monitoring for zero latency. This prevents you from using reverb from Sonar during tracking (unless you can stand the reverb having a delay) but your dry sound will have no discernable latency at all. This has nothing to do with your computer speed.

Please do elaborate. I have the UMC U-PHORIA hooked up and I'm still getting the delay a little bit. It seems like its a reverb that is on way too high causing the delay. That would make sense. But How do I turn this off? I'm in the preferences. What are the specific things I need to change?
2017/08/02 04:17:24
ForeignPolicy22
Seems like I got the Latency problem under control. The Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD kicks ass- an awesome interface by the way if anyone's thinking of getting a new one get that one!
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account