• Coffee House
  • I think my music is good enough as it is (p.3)
2018/09/17 12:53:53
msmcleod
SuperMarioGamer

That goes back to my Beethoven example with how his choice of a 4-note crafted melody was something more than what the average, lame composer could come up with...

Actually, any lame composer could have come up with exactly that 4 note melody.

SuperMarioGamer
... To me, that's all that's needed to make music good. 

No, it's what's needed to START making good music...

SuperMarioGamer
Making it into a fully crafted song would be much better.  

Making it into a fully crafted song IS the the thing that distinguishes lame composers with good ones. It's not that it "would be much better" it's what is required to make it anything.

Anyone can come up with a short melody, but developing it into a full song or symphony is the art of writing music, and where all the hard work lies.

I wonder if Beethoven hadn't bothered writing the rest of his symphony, whether people would even take notice of those 4 notes? I suspect it's because those 4 notes reminds them of what comes next, is what makes it good, not the 4 notes on their own.
2018/09/17 13:22:18
SuperMarioGamer
msmcleod
SuperMarioGamer

That goes back to my Beethoven example with how his choice of a 4-note crafted melody was something more than what the average, lame composer could come up with...

Actually, any lame composer could have come up with exactly that 4 note melody.

SuperMarioGamer
... To me, that's all that's needed to make music good. 

No, it's what's needed to START making good music...

SuperMarioGamer
Making it into a fully crafted song would be much better.  

Making it into a fully crafted song IS the the thing that distinguishes lame composers with good ones. It's not that it "would be much better" it's what is required to make it anything.

Anyone can come up with a short melody, but developing it into a full song or symphony is the art of writing music, and where all the hard work lies.

I wonder if Beethoven hadn't bothered writing the rest of his symphony, whether people would even take notice of those 4 notes? I suspect it's because those 4 notes reminds them of what comes next, is what makes it good, not the 4 notes on their own.

Then you might as well say that a short, powerful portion of one of Michael Jackson's songs is something lame and would make MJ a lame composer if he only composed that and shared it.  I personally do not agree with this.  I think making a fully crafted song is akin to having condiments on a cake.  The condiments would certainly make the cake much better.  But the cake itself with the frosting is good the way it is.
2018/09/17 13:37:51
jamesg1213
All you're presenting is argument to excuse your own laziness. Writing music takes effort, talent and time. If you're not prepared to put in the effort, you'll produce nothing of any worth, and no-one is going to 'lower their standards' to pat you on the back for it.
2018/09/17 13:56:26
Mesh

2018/09/17 16:29:54
bayoubill
What music is good enough? I don't see any links to check out. I miss out on everything 
2018/09/17 16:48:45
jamesg1213
bayoubill
What music is good enough? I don't see any links to check out. I miss out on everything 

2018/09/17 17:14:13
Mesh
.....and if you really want to be transcended into a different dimension:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/My-composing-dream-m3778662.aspx
2018/09/17 17:14:47
bayoubill
hmmm
Is this the music of which this fred is aboot?
2018/09/17 17:25:22
Mesh
It's about some groovy 4 notes maaan, you dig....

2018/09/17 17:49:32
jamesg1213
bayoubill
hmmm
Is this the music of which this fred is aboot?

Yup. Apparently it's 'good enough'.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account