• Coffee House
  • I think my music is good enough as it is (p.4)
2018/09/17 18:54:38
kennywtelejazz
                    The Wisdom Of Jamesg 1213 

Kenny
2018/09/17 18:58:30
jamesg1213
Yay! I got Meme'd! 

(you forgot the 'g' though)
2018/09/17 19:03:25
kennywtelejazz
jamesg1213
Yay! I got Meme'd! 

(you forgot the 'g' though)

James , cool beans

thanks for pointing that out  ....i just added the g

Kenny
2018/09/17 19:18:52
jamesg1213
Mind you, I do sound like a pompous git.

(no change there then)
2018/09/17 19:55:53
bayoubill
Good music is in the ear of the listener Matt. If you like what you create then you've done what you intended. You can improve on it to more suit your taste if you wish or leave it as is. Everyone has an opinion and every opinion may be completely different or take a side one way or the other. What matters is if you're satisfied or the person/people you created it for accept and/or appreciate the music. Weather anyone likes or weather it's good or wanted never stopped me from attempting to make music.   I Am bayoubill!
To me it's just plain fun to do!!!!
2018/09/17 20:41:57
eph221
SuperMarioGamer
jamesg1213
SuperMarioGamer

Let me try to illustrate my point here.  I'm quite sure many people have listened to one of Beethoven's songs which begins with that famous and catchy:

"Bom bom bom booooooooooom.  Bom bom bom boooooooooom."

Even though this portion of his song is just 4 notes repeated, it's still great.  Of course, it isn't just the 4 notes repeated.  There is also proper chords and whatnot to go along with that repeated 4-note melody.  Now, even if Beethoven stopped there and decided to only share that, it would still be something great.  

That repeated 4-note melody Beethoven has chosen obviously wasn't some basic, lame, mediocre tune.  Anybody could choose a 4-note melody like Beethoven.  But it takes a great artist to choose the right 4 notes that conveys something great.  

You're just embarrassing yourself now, please stop.

Beethoven's 5th symphony in C minor is not a 'song', it's a 36 minute symphony. Those '4 catchy notes'  are the introduction to a major work by one of the geniuses of classical music.

They're not repeated either, they're played once then developed harmonically and thematically. I suggest you actually listen to it.

Please, don't even think about aligning your rudimentary ditties to that, it's beyond laughable.

For someone who's used to living their life by a high, professional musical standard, it might very well seem ridiculous to assume that a simple, crafted melody is all that's needed to make music good.  But imagine the casual standard of a music teacher teaching students who are complete beginners to composing.  

If a student has chosen a melody with a few notes, made it into a fully crafted tune, and this choice was something more than what some average composer plucking out any old keys would up with, then that student might get the gold star.  He might be praised by this teacher.  

That goes back to my Beethoven example with how his choice of a 4-note crafted melody was something more than what the average, lame composer could come up with.  To me, that's all that's needed to make music good.  Making it into a fully crafted song would be much better.  

But just having the crafted melody itself is good enough and should be appreciated.  A professional standard would say that's not good enough and that it's nothing more than something very basic and simple.  But a casual standard would say that's good enough.  Like I said, I think this casual standard is a reasonable standard.    

Listen to Charlie Puth.  His songs are catchy, but he's kind of plain jane when it comes to PR.  Songs are an entertainment package.  You're boring like charlie puth. :(
2018/09/17 21:10:59
Beagle
"I think my music is good enough as it is" 
so why seek approval?  
2018/09/18 00:23:18
ØSkald
SuperMarioGamer
Beepster
SuperMarioGamer
Beepster
If it's good enough for you then you should not give a flying fart what anyone else thinks.

My whole goal in composing is to share music that other people would really love.  But, I suspect people are having too high of a standard which is preventing them from appreciating the greatness and catchiness of my tunes.  Therefore, I'm asking others to lower their standards so they can appreciate my tunes.  I think such a lowered standard is a reasonable standard.

Man, you've posted some ridiculous stuff on here but this one takes the proverbial cake. I'm thinking you've worn this handle out. How many have you burned through now? Four, five?

Let me try to illustrate my point here.  I'm quite sure many people have listened to one of Beethoven's songs which begins with that famous and catchy:

"Bom bom bom booooooooooom.  Bom bom bom boooooooooom."

Even though this portion of his song is just 4 notes repeated, it's still great.  Of course, it isn't just the 4 notes repeated.  There is also proper chords and whatnot to go along with that repeated 4-note melody.  Now, even if Beethoven stopped there and decided to only share that, it would still be something great.  

That repeated 4-note melody Beethoven has chosen obviously wasn't some basic, lame, mediocre tune.  Anybody could choose a 4-note melody like Beethoven.  But it takes a great artist to choose the right 4 notes that conveys something great.  

For example, some lame, techno music producer could choose some 4-note melody to repeat and make into a fully crafted tune.  But it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as Beethoven's 4-note craft.  

I don't think I'm the equivalent of some lame composer choosing any old notes on the keyboard.  I truly think I'm making an excellent choice of notes that I have yet to make into a full craft.  These fully crafted tunes should be something very good and catchy. 

The theme in the intro of Symphony No. 5 by Beethoven is not great. It is just sounds. The gratenes of the Allegro con brio is how he uses this theme. If you learn music you hear how he twist it thought the first part. That is great music.

And if you vant go make music for others. Research what they like. Not doin that is disrespect. If you want to sell anything you make yourself, make what people want. If somebody hire you to make a metal tune for them and you give then somethin else, you wont get paid. And your not a good composer. Not even decent one.

If you show your music to others the first thing you need to do is try to understand what was suksessfull and what's not. Even the greatest composer did change their composition after feedback from the audience. Saying audience are wrong are not only dumb, but rude. You are insulting their taste of music.
2018/09/18 00:37:20
bitman
Mixes are never done, only surrendered.
2018/09/18 01:27:13
Beepster
ØSkald
Saying audience are wrong are not only dumb, but rude. You are insulting their taste of music.

And just so SuperMarioWhatever understands who is saying this I figured I might as well post one of Oskald's compositions (sorry but I could not find your mix Oyvind and mine is rather tinny but it gets the point across).

Kjerlighet

Also I just wanted to listen to it again because it's an awesome tune.

Hope you been good, man.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account