• Coffee House
  • I think my music is good enough as it is (p.7)
2018/09/18 19:06:36
jamesg1213
SuperMarioGamer
jamesg1213
SuperMarioGamer
 I have added chords and whatnot to some of my tunes though. 

I'm interested in this 'whatnot' you keep mentioning. Can you be more specific?

I should have said "Chords and a beat" rather than "Chords and whatnot."

Oh. Well that's disappointing. 

Mind you, I bet Beethoven couldn't add beats.

Except in his head of course.

And written down.
2018/09/18 19:13:09
SuperMarioGamer
ØSkald
SuperMarioGamer
jamesg1213
SuperMarioGamer

SuperMarioGamer.

Show me great music with 4 note melody.
Do you have any example of this great art?

The Beethoven one is not 4 notes. just the motive are. And the greatness is not the motive but how he uses it throughout. Like the part right after it is played 6 times in upwards motion and released with a extended version of the motive. That is just the 6 bars inn. How he uses the motive here is what makes it great.

I'm saying that Beethoven's motive alone is good music.  I do have an example of how just a few notes can be good, catchy music.  In the game The Legend of Zelda:  Ocarina of Time, when the character Link obtains an item such as a piece of heart, a very brief tune plays which conveys the acquiring of that item.  Here is a link to it:

https://youtu.be/ldYCM6F3Xhw
2018/09/18 19:20:10
ØSkald
SuperMarioGamer
ØSkald
SuperMarioGamer
jamesg1213
SuperMarioGamer

SuperMarioGamer.

Show me great music with 4 note melody.
Do you have any example of this great art?

The Beethoven one is not 4 notes. just the motive are. And the greatness is not the motive but how he uses it throughout. Like the part right after it is played 6 times in upwards motion and released with a extended version of the motive. That is just the 6 bars inn. How he uses the motive here is what makes it great.

I'm saying that Beethoven's motive alone is good music.  I do have an example of how just a few notes can be good, catchy music.  In the game The Legend of Zelda:  Ocarina of Time, when the character Link obtains an item such as a piece of heart, a very brief tune plays which conveys the acquiring of that item.  Here is a link to it:

https://youtu.be/ldYCM6F3Xhw

That is not simple. it is very complex orchestration to get those harmonis. It is not melody but chords in progress.
2018/09/18 19:42:27
SuperMarioGamer
But that's all based off of a simple melody, is it not?  If I crafted my simple melodies, wouldn't they be good just like that tune in the video?  However, even if the tune in that youtube video didn't have all those complex elements to it, was just a simple melody, and had something simple to go along with it such as a beat and chords, then I bet it would still be a good tune.

2018/09/18 19:51:28
ØSkald
No sorry. that’s why I recorded the Beethoven intro without strings and just a mono piano to make you see that the sole melody is not strong at all. It is just 4 notes with almost no movement at all. Everything you love with the Beethoven Symphony 5 opening is the musicianship and orchestration. And how it is repeated through with small and greater changes of the motive.

Same her. In you example you hear many instruments together making rich chords. Things like this is almost always used as a short instrumental part in a song. Like Earth Wind and Fire- Shining Star. Just a musical effect in the song, to make it less boring.

it starts at 1:01
2018/09/18 20:01:48
SuperMarioGamer
ØSkald
No sorry. that’s why I recorded the Beethoven intro without strings and just a mono piano to make you see that the sole melody is not strong at all. It is just 4 notes with almost no movement at all. Everything you love with the Beethoven Symphony 5 opening is the musicianship and orchestration. And how it is repeated through with small and greater changes of the motive.

Same her. In you example you hear many instruments together making rich chords. Things like this is almost always used as a short instrumental part in a song. Like Earth Wind and Fire- Shining Star. Just a musical effect in the song, to make it less boring.

it starts at 1:01

So, if I took my simple melodies and make them strong, then would they be as good and catchy or even better than that Zelda tune?  I don't think I need to do anything with the melody such as making smaller and greater changes to it, do I?  Couldn't I just have the strong, crafted melody itself and that be something good and catchy?  Like I said though, I do plan on creating fully crafted songs someday.  However, I'm merely asking if this would be good enough for now.
2018/09/19 00:07:00
msmcleod
This inspired me to write a song....

https://www.bandlab.com/msmcleod/mymusicisgoodenough-masterwav-7ae87?revId=89498e6b-9fbb-e811-af11-00155d60cb1b

[Edit]: Although the above is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I was actually trying to demonstrate a point here...
I took the melody of yours that jemmz posted, and developed it further.

The lyrics were just based on the theme of this thread.

Now, I'm not saying what I did is any good (the AlterEgo voice is BAD, but I've got a cold and can't speak never mind sing), but it does give your tune context.

Context is important for any tune. Even if you take those 5 notes from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind - which have no chords or anything - it does have context in the film, and that is what invokes the emotion.

No-one knows the context of your tunes, so you have to provide one.
2018/09/19 13:06:26
Beagle
snnnnnnxxxxxxx.....

2018/09/19 13:08:56
Starise
Not taking any sides here. I think maybe some here took you for a kid who didn't wanna work. Approaching the subject in the way you have seems to encourage simplicity and indirectly slam complexity. That probably isn't what you intended. I think that's how it came off...like. I don't need to do much. I can make a nice pop tune without much effort. 
There are LOTS of kids with daws who don't want to put much effort into anything. I don't think this approach should be encouraged. Learn to play something and then buy a daw...or at the least learn some basic music theory.

Lots of classical music was built from a simple motif. On that we agree. HOWEVER it gets more complex in structure using that motif. BIG difference there.
Another thing you need to consider is people are sick of pop music, simple beat driven three chord pop music. I think I can say the musician crowd feels that way. Maybe the general public not so much. They have been conditioned on it since birth.
The autotune or vocoder doesn't help to make your point.
2018/09/19 13:24:22
ØSkald
msmcleod
This inspired me to write a song....

https://www.bandlab.com/msmcleod/mymusicisgoodenough-masterwav-7ae87?revId=89498e6b-9fbb-e811-af11-00155d60cb1b

[Edit]: Although the above is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I was actually trying to demonstrate a point here...
I took the melody of yours that jemmz posted, and developed it further.

The lyrics were just based on the theme of this thread.

Now, I'm not saying what I did is any good (the AlterEgo voice is BAD, but I've got a cold and can't speak never mind sing), but it does give your tune context.

Context is important for any tune. Even if you take those 5 notes from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind - which have no chords or anything - it does have context in the film, and that is what invokes the emotion.

No-one knows the context of your tunes, so you have to provide one.

Wow dude. Right on.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account