• Coffee House
  • I think my music is good enough as it is (p.8)
2018/09/19 13:32:30
ØSkald
Starise
Not taking any sides here. I think maybe some here took you for a kid who didn't wanna work. Approaching the subject in the way you have seems to encourage simplicity and indirectly slam complexity. That probably isn't what you intended. I think that's how it came off...like. I don't need to do much. I can make a nice pop tune without much effort. 
There are LOTS of kids with daws who don't want to put much effort into anything. I don't think this approach should be encouraged. Learn to play something and then buy a daw...or at the least learn some basic music theory.

Lots of classical music was built from a simple motif. On that we agree. HOWEVER it gets more complex in structure using that motif. BIG difference there.
Another thing you need to consider is people are sick of pop music, simple beat driven three chord pop music. I think I can say the musician crowd feels that way. Maybe the general public not so much. They have been conditioned on it since birth.
The autotune or vocoder doesn't help to make your point.

right on.

The point is, you don't need 10 yrs of music theory to start make music. But you need the craving to know why thing work and other don't. The craving or wanting to know how it works.
2018/09/19 13:35:47
pwalpwal
fwiw, posting here invites constructive criticism (from other producers/musicians), if you don't want that then just post to bandlab, or facebook, where it's just music consumers?
2018/09/19 14:13:08
Mesh
On the plus side, these type of posts from SMG have invoked some very interesting comments......musical as well as psychological. (i.e. Beagle's last post could go either way )

2018/09/19 15:27:33
Beagle
Mesh
On the plus side, these type of posts from SMG have invoked some very interesting comments......musical as well as psychological. (i.e. Beagle's last post could go either way )

Not for me cause I'm a legend in my own mind.  Much like SMG
2018/09/19 15:33:43
Mesh
Beagle
Mesh

How many notes did it take you?

(Name That Tune)
2018/09/19 16:34:55
Beagle
Mesh
Beagle
Mesh

(Name That Tune)

My music is so dang good that I've transcended above the need for notes.

Beat-hoven likes it.  He told me from the grave.
2018/09/19 17:16:22
jackson white
<disclaimer> Breaking a rule to never post on anything non-technical, but there's some great humour in this thread, whether intentional or not and I'm stranded at an airport, plus I've come across variations on this theme elsewhere.
</disclaimer>

SuperMarioGamer
My whole goal in composing is to share music that other people would really love. But, I suspect people are having too high of a standard which is preventing them from appreciating the greatness and catchiness of my tunes.
Therefore, I'm asking others to lower their standards so they can appreciate my tunes. I think such a lowered standard is a reasonable standard.

Why should anyone lower their standards to meet your level of commitment to the art and craft of musical composition? Would Bayern Munich let me on the pitch just because I had two legs?

SuperMarioGamer
"Bom bom bom booooooooooom. Bom bom bom boooooooooom."
Now, even if Beethoven stopped there and decided to only share that, it would still be something great.

No, it would not be great. As stated elsewhere, it is the context of the -entire- composition, regardless of what you think.

SuperMarioGamer
I truly think I'm making an excellent choice of notes that I have yet to make into a full craft

Sounds like you have more imagination than work ethic or craftmanship.

"make into a full craft" is the craft. You have to actually do something before anyone can appreciate what's inside your head.

SuperMarioGamer
But I heard that greatness is entirely subjective when it comes to music.

No, it's not entirely subjective. Creativity must be acknowledged by someone other than yourself. If you are sole judge of your greatness, you have plenty of company on FB or in mental institutions.

SuperMarioGamer
My point is, if I wish to create music that pleases many people, then my music would have to be fully crafted songs that meet their expectations. But, if I only wish to please a crowd who appreciates simple, good, catchy tunes, then I don't need to create fully crafted songs.

If your friends and family like your "excellent choice of notes", good for you, they are your audience and no need to seek approval here or elsewhere. Or put in the work to create fully crafted songs. 

If you are exploring the potential for something more than the obvious career choice of music for electronic games, perhaps your destiny is to be a jingle writer where you can be well paid for a simple catchy melody to sell burgers. In my experience though, the professionals that pursue either direction are highly trained, hard working and  proficient musicians.

Or maybe nursery rhymes, which have an element of cognitive simplicity that transcends language/cultural boundaries. You could look into Leonard Bernstein's lectures at Harvard on the universal appeal of certain melodic fragments, many of which can be found in classical compositions.

ØSkald
I made you this song. The melody is easy but really catchy...
https://soundcloud.com/oy...beethoven-5-sym-repeat

@ØSkald. Brilliant. Reminded me of Andy Kaufman and one of his musical performances.

jamesg1213
You're not deaf as well are you?

@jamesg1213. Haha, nice one, assuming the OP knew Beethoven was deaf, but given the tenacity in this thread for justifying mediocrity, most likely just naive.
2018/09/19 17:20:50
bayoubill
note to self - Beag's music is dog gone good!!!!!!!
2018/09/19 17:24:11
Mesh
Beagle
Mesh
Beagle
Mesh

(Name That Tune)

My music is so dang good that I've transcended above the need for notes.

Beat-hoven likes it.  He told me from the grave.

I saw that movie Beat-Hoven, that was a cute St. Bernard......whoa wait a minute now, is this some kind of transcended dog hearing thing?
2018/09/19 18:38:55
eph221
what the hell have you people been smoking?
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account