• Software
  • Questions for Superior Drummer 3 users (p.3)
2018/10/02 14:36:51
cclarry2
Glyn Barnes
june61944
Where's the cheapest place to get the upgrade to SD3 from SD2?
Plugin Alliance was the best price I found in the UK for the download. £147 including VAT and earned about £10 in loyalty points.

I think that's supposed to be Plugin Boutique...

2018/10/02 14:46:26
june61944
Thanks, Larry.  I can say quite definitively now that its not at Plugin Alliance, although I am now an expert in their catalog.  Thanks for the heads-up anyway, Glyn.  I seem to remember the "in the cart price" being closer to $167 USD at Plugin Boutique so I'm going to wait until they take down the Toontrack "get-a-free-MIDI pack with SD3" deal to see if it goes back down.
2018/10/02 15:09:08
Glyn Barnes
cclarry2
Glyn Barnes
june61944
Where's the cheapest place to get the upgrade to SD3 from SD2?
Plugin Alliance was the best price I found in the UK for the download. £147 including VAT and earned about £10 in loyalty points.

I think that's supposed to be Plugin Boutique...

Doh! I will edit the OP

2018/10/02 15:20:32
bitflipper
Sidroe
You can still use the surround mics in just a stereo mix. You don't get the full fx but it does give you a good distance ambience to add to your arsenal. Great for John Bonham type room drums.

I've long wondered how they'd sound in a stereo mix. Your comment has prompted me to finally grab those surround files. Downloader says only 3.5 hours to go...
2018/10/02 15:25:41
BassDaddy
TheMaartian
bitflipper
And you still have to make a backup. That's the real advantage to buying it on SSD, having an instant backup.

I elected not to do that, because I was afraid I'd probably just lose the SSD. Instead, I bought a 3TB external USB drive that can hold all my backups in one place. Better odds of remembering where I last put that device.

I tend to misplace things, as well. I try to have "one place for everything...and everything in its place." Doesn't always work.

The only really necessary rule?

Don't store ANYTHING important in your back pocket. 

I would only add, if you do store it in your back pocket make sure to back it up and put a copy in your front pocket too.
2018/10/03 15:46:19
Jim Roseberry
The library that comes with SD3 is (IMO) superior to that of SD2.
With SD2, the engineer ***loved*** the "click" on the mids (~2.2k) of the kick drums.  
With SD3, George Massenburg did a great job with the recording/engineering.  Much more balanced sound...

As far as where to put the library:
  • M.2 Ultra (NVMe) SSD is going to be the fastest as far as load time (~3400MB/Sec on Reads)
  • SATA SSD is still good (~540MB/Sec on Reads)
  • HD is going to feel slow (~200MB/Sec on Reads)
  • Pair of SATA SSDs in RAID-0 is in-between M.2 Ultra and single SATA SSD (~1000MB/Sec)
SATA SSD in external USB-3 or USB-3.1 enclosure should yield the full speed of the SSD (or close).
USB-3 tops out ~550MB/Sec

2018/10/04 02:46:00
bitflipper
I run SD3 from a conventional spinner, and yup, it's slow. I have a project at the moment that has SD3, Trilian, 12 Kontakt instances and 4 Omnispheres. I just go make coffee while it's loading.
2018/10/04 16:01:57
TheMaartian
bitflipper
I run SD3 from a conventional spinner, and yup, it's slow. I have a project at the moment that has SD3, Trilian, 12 Kontakt instances and 4 Omnispheres. I just go make coffee while it's loading.

Bit "the Thinker" flipper making coffee while waiting for his project to load...

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account