• SONAR
  • Changing Tracks Live (VST) Best Way? -SOLVED
2018/11/27 03:08:42
michael japan
So, I will be doing a gig with grand piano and a Novation Impulse toggling between rhodes and organ. How do I efficiently, quickly, smoothly and simply change tracks without using a mouse or the touch screen on my laptop? (PC) .Rhodes is Scarbee 88 Classic and Organ is NI Komplete Control. (would prefer not to use automap). It's easy in Omnisphere or East West Play because they are multitimbral and you just change the midi channel on the controller. But NI or Komplete Kontrol isn't multitimbral so need to actually manually go from say Track 5 -Organ to Track 6 Rhodes in Sonar (two instances of Komplete Kontrol.)
2018/11/27 04:00:09
Cactus Music
I did sound for a Blues band and the keyboard player had what I thought was the perfect solution to only having 1 feed to the FOH available most times . 
He had 2 stereo Volume pedals and could fade or swell etc both his piano and his Synth ( organ mostly ) sounds. 
The outputs went to small mixer and split to his Keyboard amp and a Stereo / mono DI box. 
He used a 88 key Roland piano and that was midi-ed to a Roland Dr Synth. 
He had complete control of his dynamics and as a result I never had to touch his fader. 

So thinking you could do this if your interface has 4 outputs. 
Simply run these to 2 volume pedals and there you go. 1/2 for piano   3/4 for synths and organs. 
Then that would feed a small mixer that had at least 2 stereo input channels. My Mackie Mix 8 would handle that. 

2018/11/27 04:52:12
michael japan
with the zillion controllers on the Novation besides the drawbars (using the drawbars for organ), there is no way to just go up and down one track in Sonar? I am doing a lot of gigs by train (To Tokyo) so gear space is at a minimum. 
2018/11/28 21:30:46
abacab
Why don't you just run NI Kontakt in multi-timbral mode with the Scarbee EP assigned to a different track than the track running your organ in NI KOMPLETE KONTROL.  For example, assign the Scarbee to MIDI channel 2, and let your organ track default to MIDI channel 1.

That way you could just switch the channel you are sending from the Novation controller. 

For Sonar tracks with plugins that respond to any MIDI channel (Omni), you can selectively assign a MIDI channel in the track inspector.
2018/11/28 22:02:16
bitflipper
Since you're hosting these instruments on your laptop, have you considered a VST host designed specifically for live use? Cantabile is my favorite of these, and there is a free "lite" version you can try out.
2018/11/28 22:05:51
abacab
Or you could MIDI remote control of your Sonar track faders in the console from your Novation faders.
2018/11/29 09:06:50
michael japan
abacab
Why don't you just run NI Kontakt in multi-timbral mode with the Scarbee EP assigned to a different track than the track running your organ in NI KOMPLETE KONTROL.  For example, assign the Scarbee to MIDI channel 2, and let your organ track default to MIDI channel 1.

That way you could just switch the channel you are sending from the Novation controller. 

For Sonar tracks with plugins that respond to any MIDI channel (Omni), you can selectively assign a MIDI channel in the track inspector.

I'm not sure I have NI Kontakt Multi Timbral. The one they give you for free when you buy one of their instruments is just for the one instrument you purchased I thought.

2018/11/29 17:20:13
abacab
michael japan
abacab

I'm not sure I have NI Kontakt Multi Timbral. The one they give you for free when you buy one of their instruments is just for the one instrument you purchased I thought.

Kontakt 5 Player Free is multi-timbral, and I use it.  Your Scarbee should run in that, and I assume that is what you would have already installed. 

You can run the NI Native Access installer utility https://www.native-instru...pecials/native-access/ to see what you already have installed.  The Scarbee Classic EP-88 product page says: "Requires KONTAKT 5.5.2 or the free KONTAKT 5 PLAYER version 5.5.2 or later."
2018/11/30 00:00:16
brundlefly
For any two (or more) MIDI/Instrument tracks, just enable input echo on all of them, set the Input of the MIDI tracks (or MIDI components of Instrument tracks) to different channels, and set forced output channel to whatever each synth wants (if necessary - usually a non-multitimbral synth will respond to any channel), and switch instruments by changing the output channel on your controller. Each track will pass only the channel that matches its Input setting.

2018/11/30 00:54:55
bvideo
brundlefly
For any two (or more) MIDI/Instrument tracks, just enable input echo on all of them, set the Input of the MIDI tracks (or MIDI components of Instrument tracks) to different channels, and set forced output channel to whatever each synth wants (if necessary - usually a non-multitimbral synth will respond to any channel), and switch instruments by changing the output channel on your controller. Each track will pass only the channel that matches its Input setting.

Brundlefly's way is the best way using Sonar/Cakewalk along with any VSTi's in various combinations regardless of their channel requirements when your most convenient control is the channel setting at your keyboard.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account