• Computers
  • Thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 to Fire Wire
2017/05/02 17:53:07
vladasyn
Hey there
Hope it not duplicate- the original thread would not show up. 
First of all- I am confused with Thunderbolt 2 and 3. My motherboard is advertised to support Thunderbolt 3 and I was told by other users that it works, but not officially listed as supported motherboard in Thunderbold card specifications on Asus web site. My Z270 Hero motherboard has Thunderbolt internal port and would use PCIE4 slot.
This is the Thunderbolt 3 card by Asus:
https://www.asus.com/us/M...ssory/ThunderboltEX-3/

I was looking in to buying Thunderbolt interface and all even most new interfaces that come this summer (Antelope Goliath), state that they use Thunderbolt 2. Why do they still make them Thunderbolt 2 when we have Thunderbolt 2? And how do I connect Thunderbolt 2 interface to Thunderbolt 3?

The reason I am looking in to buying Thunderbolt interface is because my Presonus Studio 24.4.2 original mixer is not working with SIIG TI Fire Wire card that works fine in another Win. 10 computer. There was suggestion to use Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 to Fire Wire adopter. I need help to configure this. Thank you.

This is the Thread on Toms Hardware discussing my Presonus mixer issue with drivers signing and Fire Wire card, if anyone wants to relive the nightmare. Thank you.
http://www.tomshardware.c...vers-signing-work.html
2017/05/07 08:42:37
Sir Les
You can get a TB 3 to USB 3c adapter cable, or tb 2 to usb c? until MS gets their Crap sorted...But MS wants USB3c sales...So, you see their plans...try it out if all else fails...for the PC solution they want you to adopt usb over TB.

Apple store might have what you need for that solution, if you get the Asus TB3 card, it takes or has a USB3 port....if it does get detected when you do it that way?, is to try it.

Not sure about fire wire to TB3 yet?...TB2 is possible....if you find the fire wire adapter for TB 2...all tb is supposedly BWC but, TB 3 cables ends are not TB 2 able and vise versa it seems...so you might have to just get the fire wire adapter to tb2 and then, I am not sure if it will go into the TB 3 port, you might have to use a tb 2 card....as mine did not, I used TB 2 to TB 3, as my Motu device supports TB 2 and USB 3.

As for the driver for the audio device driver, if something is not signed properly, that might be the weakest link....
You can make window not address unsigned drivers...I believe.

Google how to.

Cheers!.

PS,
Sorry for putting you into a state of frustration on the other post, but it kept it current ,and upfront and on top,...so they worked to get it off the top 1st listings page.

But I had enough of the dick arounds....You can understand I hope?,,still nothing posted to help me or others...as in tech support ...so I wonder more so now.

I meant no harm to you.

best of luck.

2017/05/07 08:53:48
Sir Les
one more tip..make sure you do not taunt TB cables, ..they come apart too easy...might want to make them a bit more secure, by using tape around the plug and cable ends, so the outer cable rubber does not come out of the plug and pull the wires inside that plug...or some glue gun skill...just to make sure nothing goes wrong plugging and turning and unplugging and turning...ect.ect ect...LOL...experience has lots of tells...some say...and those cables are not cheap.
2017/05/07 11:14:14
Sheanes
Universal Audio have a new Apollo interface range for Windows Thunderbolt 3 and that could be less expensive than an Antelope. To fully use the power/speed they also offer an additional excelarator box that let's you use Universal Audio plugins at lower latency etc.
Asus have a desktop computer (one of their most expensive at approx 4k) with Thunderbolt 3, you could check what motherboard is in that computer...
You could be one of the fastest Windows DAW users in the world I guess...but I don't know Apollo specs/performance...
Good luck

2017/05/09 00:36:04
kitekrazy1
  I have a hunch TB is not a great alternative unless you go Mac.
I'd go with an RME unit and be done with it.  Screw thunderbolt.  It's not affordable platform for Mac users either.  I think it's cost won't make it last long.
2017/05/10 00:51:19
Sir Les
Oh if using TB 3 PCIe 1x Asus Cards, or the 2TB one by Asus, the motherboard has to have a TB header on it.

That said, using a motherboard with onboard TB, will not accept the cards if it does not have that TB header on it.

Just to say...Setup on the right PCIe slot can be a tricky sortings..and dependency on what else is being used...
Let's say you use M.2...Might be when selecting this to enable in Bios, you defeat the PCIe 2 slot for , or other for TB.
Thus a conflicting state is invoked.
So you have to read the manual for the MB, Bios settings, and TB manuals....And it all gets confused in mind...contact the tech help by phone..ASUS ...And get it all sorted with a good techie, if so confusion is with the TB 1,2 or 3 setup on their MBs.

If it already has TB onboard...just a plain firewire to TB adapter should work with that, but because of the protocols being switched up by the adapter....it is not supported as stable with all devices & drivers .
Then again, you mention problems with signage of the audio driver, and MS.
So, there is a way to defeat , or address MS windows signage issues, if it cannot be gotten a proper driver for this setup you wish to use.

Not sure it can be solved ?..if the driver is being held under some form of policing of MS Policy agents services being interrupted or causing your problems with,  by that MS service agent on that driver signage issue, is put,  to protect the OS from harm , and your machine...But if that is the case....You will have to seek help from the Audio device manufacturing Techs for help, And MS Techies, to which I find have not solved my issues with this sort of setup, and finding signage issues with Motu.

If there Is a Firewire to usb adapter?...surely you can do the workaround until things are sorted?.

That would get you at least up and going, as usb and Windows are tied at the hip,...lol...Right?.

Well, hope that helps you also decide, and or look into all options of the lessor before spending on more so more...and finding down the road, they screw it up again once finding bliss.

Reminds me of Me...LOL.

Cheers.
2017/05/21 15:47:23
vladasyn
My motherboard has Thunderbolt header.

Asus has Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 3 cards. I am looking in to buying TB2 audio device such as Antelope. I am wondering if I can install older Thunderbolt 2 card on newer Z270 board or if I am obligated to use TB3 card.

I do not see any TB to FW adopters available.

You may be on something regarding the M.2. and PCIE being disabled. I can not remember what I have my M.2 port set to- SATA or PCIe, but I do have another card (SATA card) working in PCIeX4 port. The FireFire card is in PCIeX1 slot and it does not work, but I spoke with Asus support and they did not say my settings would disable PCIeX1 slot. It also in manual but I don't undersnatd it good enough.  
2017/05/21 15:58:02
Sheanes
would wait a while....only latest Windows 10 update unblocked Thunderbolt 3 driver writing.
even if you get a Thunderbolt 3 board and interface, at this time it will probably not use the Thunderbolt 3 potential as the drivers are not yet ready.
personally waiting for an RME Thunderbolt 3 interface, that should be WAY cheaper than current Universal Audio Apollo and Antelope, but might be more stable and lower latency.
At least, that's how I see it...
good luck
2017/05/22 07:43:04
CedricM
There are frustratingly very few Thunderbolt 3 PCs and motherboards available.

To answer your question, hardware manufacturers are conservative, and they need to be able to test with existing ports, that's why all audio interfaces so far are Thunderbolt 2 or 1 (same DisplayPort port) compatible, and not thunderbolt 3.

However, USB type C will be the port standard for many years to come, being universal (data, video, electricity), small, very easy to use (symetrical), so I hope we'll see the first tb3 audio interfaces this year or in 2018.

Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapters, such as the one from Apple, appear to work very well, even on PC.

BTW You can forget FireWire, even its co-inventor Apple does. If you look at audio interface manufacturers, most switched to TB and USB 2 as soon as they could.

On YouTube, ProTools Expert has show PCs working very well with TB2 audio interfaces from Universal Audio and FocusRite (Clarett)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1beVBMbSLIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBqEpOrYBrs&t=751s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fdM9j70PSc

I'm also thinking of purchasing a thunderbolt 3 computer, probably a Laptop since there are so few desktops with it, a TB3 to TB2 adapter and a Clarett audio interface.

The advantages would be next to-zero-latency, high reliability and, apparently, fantastic ad conversion.
If you can believe Focusrite blind tests, and of course one should always take such manufacturers' own tests with a grain of salt, the interface compares favorably with most
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGgSXYletkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RHi5CcCmsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pymY3Z0PWRs

2017/05/22 15:40:54
Jim Roseberry
vladasyn
My motherboard has Thunderbolt header.

Asus has Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 3 cards. I am looking in to buying TB2 audio device such as Antelope. I am wondering if I can install older Thunderbolt 2 card on newer Z270 board or if I am obligated to use TB3 card.

You won't be able to choose which Thunderbolt AIC (add-in-card) you use with that particular motherboard.
It'll support one... or the other.
If it supports Thunderbolt-2, you don't want it.
Microsoft only supports "PCIe via Thunderbolt" with Thunderbolt-3 (via USB-C port).
ALL audio interfaces running via Thunderbolt-2 under Windows are running Firewire protocol over Thunderbolt.

Antelope doesn't offer Thunderbolt drivers for Windows... for any of their current audio interfaces.
If you purchase an Antelope audio interface and connect it to a PC, it'll have to run via USB.

If you're looking to go Thunderbolt with your audio interface, make sure to read all the fine details.

To my knowledge, only three companies have "PCIe via Thunderbolt" drivers actually available for Windows.
  • MOTU with their AVB series
  • UA with the newer Apollo series
  • RME with the Fireface UFX+

For PCIe level performance from Thunderbolt, you need the following:
  • Motherboard that offers Thunderbolt-3 (via USB-C port)
  • Up-to-date install of Win10
  • USB-C to Thunderbolt-2 adapter
  • Audio interface drivers that support "PCIe via Thunderbolt"
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account