• Computers
  • How to update Firmware on new Motu?
2017/06/30 05:30:44
vladasyn
Hey there

This was hard, but I installed the Thunderbolt, connected Motu and it is seen by its user interface. The settings for audio look ok. and I got sound. I think, I may I like the Presonus sound better- MOTU sounds bright and flat- no depth- first impression before my ears got used to it. 

There is firmware that supposed to be updated, it says I would need 1.2.7 or higher. I have 1.2.8, and there is 1.2.9 update available but I don't know how to update because where I supposed to just click, it says, "Please, run Web App directly from the device over Ethernet to update." I don't understand what it means- what device? The web app is on Windows computer, it opened, computer is connected to Ethernet. I also downloaded file but I don't know how to get it in MOTU. If I launch Software Updater, it says, "Update available for listed below devices" and nothing listed there. Thank you. 
2017/06/30 15:09:12
dwardzala
I think you need make sure that you can talk to the Motu over Ethernet.  I have one on order (an Ultralite AVB so I haven't actually used it, but based on what I have read that is what needs to happen.)  Check out the thread on the Motu interface drivers for further details and/or post in there for help.
2017/06/30 16:29:06
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
The easiest way to do it is to hook up the MOTU directly to your LAN. then open the webUI and the firmware update will be clicking 1 button on the device page ...

You can also do it offline by downloading and installing the firmware update manually ... instructions are at the MOTU site right where you download the firmware
2017/06/30 19:16:16
vladasyn
Yeah, I could not understand how I can connect MOTU and Computer at the same time if I only have one Ethernet port on the computer. I guess I will just have to disconnect it from Internet and connect computer to MOTU for the update.

Will be figuring out how to connect 2nd MOTU via AVB to first tonight. It says in manual to just connect it, but I saw some settings to tweak. Thank you.  
2017/06/30 19:28:32
fireberd
You should have an Ethernet Router with at least 2 ports on it.  I don't think you can connect the MOTU directly to the PC with a standard Ethernet Cable.  It may work with a "crossover" cable, but a Router is what is needed.
2017/06/30 19:45:24
jbraner
Vlad - your PC must be connected to a router (for the Internet) - right?
We'll, just connect the MOTU to the same router- there should be extra ports to plug in to.
Thanks they will talk to each other...

My Ultralite AVB doesn't do firmware updates when it's set for DHCP though - I have to give it an ip address, then it's easy. You point your browser to the MOTU and you can either let it download the update - or download it yourself, and point to the file.

To set an ip address - check the manual, or we'll try to talk you through it here...
2017/07/01 03:14:53
vladasyn
I got it, thank you for the tip.

It says in Manual, "In the "New Update Available" banner, click on "More Information". I had the banner but no "More Information" Button when I open the app from the Start menu. But then it appeared when opened it from Task menu. Should not be different. Hope it is not one of those issues when it goes in and out of connection with computer. Will have to test more before I connect 16A to it, which going to be a challenge likely. Thank you.  

2017/07/01 08:33:31
jbraner
I just download the file first (one less thing to go wrong) - then you can "update from file" - down by the bottom.

When I had the DHCP problems, and it "lost connection", I could just switch the interfaceoff - and it came back up with the older firmware...
2017/07/01 12:06:25
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
vladasyn
Will have to test more before I connect 16A to it, which going to be a challenge likely. Thank you.  

Everything is super easy with these AVB devices. You just need to connect via LAN cables ... BUT you need to RTFM, it takes about 5 minutes to read all there is about firmware updates and how to connect the devices (I believe there are also videos for the illiterate) ... it's all at the MOTU website
2017/07/01 15:36:44
lgmab
vladasyn
Yeah, I could not understand how I can connect MOTU and Computer at the same time if I only have one Ethernet port on the computer. I guess I will just have to disconnect it from Internet and connect computer to MOTU for the update.

Will be figuring out how to connect 2nd MOTU via AVB to first tonight. It says in manual to just connect it, but I saw some settings to tweak. Thank you.  

yes i do without problems.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account