• Computers
  • How to update Firmware on new Motu? (p.2)
2017/07/01 15:37:37
lgmab
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
vladasyn
Will have to test more before I connect 16A to it, which going to be a challenge likely. Thank you.  

Everything is super easy with these AVB devices. You just need to connect via LAN cables ... BUT you need to RTFM, it takes about 5 minutes to read all there is about firmware updates and how to connect the devices (I believe there are also videos for the illiterate) ... it's all at the MOTU website

agreed
2017/07/01 15:39:18
lgmab
I run a 16A with sonar platinum, I would be interested i hearing others opinions, related to SOUND and overall satisfaction with MOTU - Sonar interfacing.

2017/07/01 17:44:51
vladasyn
I got them connected but I don't see how to make audio from one go in to the other via Ethernet. There AVB Stream Connections and all of them say "None". When I updated the A16 unit (2nd unit), I selected it as "Studio Input Extender" and it supposed to allow me to run its inputs in to 1242 unit. However, I wet it when it was connected directly to Thunderbolt, but now it connected to 1248 and in Web App it only shows me 1248, nothing about 16A. I don't see any set up information in Manual. 
2017/07/01 18:19:15
jbraner
Windows people can't use AVB for audio - you have to use USB or Thunderbolt (depending on the interface).
AVB is just for interfaces talking to each other, and for Macs (audio).
2017/07/01 18:25:57
vladasyn
Thank you for your reply. As it says in the first post and in the last post, first interface is connected via Thunderbolt. The 2nd interface is connected to 1st via Cat6. And I don't see the instructions on settings in web app just yet. 
2017/07/01 19:26:05
jbraner
Sorry if I wasn't answering the right question. I was just trying to say that you don't (in Windows) pass audio over AVB.

I only have one interface though, so can't help with how to connect them.
2017/07/02 00:41:11
vladasyn
Ok, I got the sound on both units. I probably did not select all tiles correctly- it looks like they recommend to set Audio 1-2 to go to Main, Audio 3-4 to go to Monitors and separate I/O for each headphone Out. To do that, I would have to create busses in Sonar, right/ I just set it to run the same Audio 1-2 to Mains, Monitors and 2 headphones- any reason it should not be the same signal? 

I don't like that my Microphones  (actually all Inputs) show as 1Left, 1 Right 1 Stereo instead of 1 Mono, 2 Mono. I am used to it for Stereo keyboard tracks, but for Microphones it makes no sense. I have 4 Mic inputs and it shows as 1L, 1R 1Stereo. So if I need to select Mono track to record voice, I would just select 1Left? And Pan it center or Pan it Left? 

One weird thing happened that almost added 30 minutes in to troubleshooting. I connected Roland JP8000 synth keyboard to test if I have sound going through MOTU, and I had no sound. I listen in Headphones direct from the keyboard- it plays arpeggiator on Hold- continuous but no sound to computer. I am checking all Motu and Sonar settings, getting frustrated... Apparently, this older Keyboard I was not using often has no main Output. What in the world could happen? I connected Motif same port, same cable and it was working, but this one- the Main outs are dead. How is it possible? Can the headphones thoing that turns Main off when headphones used stock some how? How do I fix it? A shop? Thank you. 
2017/07/02 09:32:10
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
this is the page you need to look at: http://motu.com/avb/index.html

it contains all drivers, firmware plus update instructions ... scroll down and you will find videos on settings, routing, etc.

mind you - the routing options especially with several MOTU devices can be intimidating and may take a bit to fully grasp ... so when not hearing anything from a certain synth, check if the signal indicator "LED" next to the respective input in the MOTU routing grid flash when you hit a key
2017/07/02 13:18:29
Sir Les
You have to read firmware readme....It says for my motu to use the "USB port." for firmware update to work.

Depending on your device...Read the readme files...it should say how to, for your proper instructions from them.

And I would save the old firmware if possible, just in case you need to roll back to a different Pryor OS version.

Some firmware is for newer OS versions...so it gets complicated, if it is not working with 10...and you roll back with new firmware installed...things may not work proper...when rolled back to 8.1 or 7 or such.....

Just thinking out loud in that regard of reason for firmware to be flashed to a new one is for what reason....? OS version release of 10?

also check bios version of mb...is it up to date to run with os ?
2017/07/02 17:27:31
vladasyn
Hey there
I got it working. The synth that had no sound is now has sound but very very low and it says, Memory Damage- batteries low". I understand the low batteries, but do not understand why it would sound so low on volume- the internal amp is not dependent on the batteries, is it? So I have to find a shop for it.
One thing regarding the sound quality I don't like: Motu has almost endless headroom to bring volume up. It goes in to -Db and +dbs, but has to stay somewhere at -10db in order to sound ok- after that, the distortion begins. I don't get it. The distortion is so heavy- I could process a vocal  with it and make it sound like Industrial track. With my monitors IK Multimedia iLoud Micro at volume set at 2 or 3, it was distorted to a point that I could not tell what is wrong with the song. It was MOTU amp, because the speakers were at only 2-3 volume. had to put MOTU level to -15Db to make it sound good, and then bring the monitors level up. I have enough loudness in these monitors, I was able to make it very loud, but MOTU output had to stay at -15Db. I have large Sony studio headphones and have the same issue- huge harmonic distortion when it passes like -5Db. So why is all the positive Dbs for? Don't have that issue with Presonus. 

My previous post contains 2 questions I can use the answer, everything else looks ok. Thank you. 

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account