• Computers
  • How to update Firmware on new Motu? (p.3)
2017/07/02 18:16:58
dwardzala
Vladasyn, I don't have my Motu yet, but my current interface is similar.  Regarding the inputs labeled 1L, 1R and 1Stereo; 1L or 1R are just mono sources.  You can pan them anywhere.  The 1Stereo input combines 1R and 1L into a stereo input and the individual sources will be panned automatically in the stereo track.
2017/07/03 19:38:33
vladasyn
Ok, thank you all.

Can the main Sonar output be routed to one of analog outputs as well as Monitors and mains? I don't understand the concept of Output 3-4. The tiles system is very confusing. I need one stream to go to headphones amp and 2 to 2 sets of monitors... I guess you have to see the panel to answer this question...
2017/07/04 20:05:33
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
vladasyn
Can the main Sonar output be routed to one of analog outputs as well as Monitors and mains? I don't understand the concept of Output 3-4. The tiles system is very confusing. I need one stream to go to headphones amp and 2 to 2 sets of monitors... I guess you have to see the panel to answer this question...

yes. you can activate several outputs in the MOTU routing grid for the same signal ... you need to try ... many things are possible, even routing input directly to output (digital patch bay) or route input to MOTU mixer and then to Sonar ...
2017/07/05 20:29:49
fwrend
FYI, Groove3.com has a video called MOTU AVB Interfaces Explained that would be worth the watch.  I've watched it 2 1/2 times and will probably watch it again.  The more units you have, the more daunting it is.  But I am loving my 8M!

2017/07/07 05:56:16
vladasyn
I have hard time to set the routing. If I don't use MOTU Mixer, and connect "From Computer" out to Headphones in, it works great. But I have to set up Audio channel in Sonar to hear my keyboard. Like to hear Yamaha Motif, I need to have MIDI set as well as Audio in Sonar to Motif. I am used to just set a MIDI and hear Audio through Presonus. I had all my keyboards connected to Presonus and they would just have sound disregarding of Audio channels in Sonar. In fact- I could play my keyboards without Sonar even opened.

Now if I create mixer in Motu, I have to select "Analog Post FX" to headphones to hear instrument going through the Mixer. When I set it that way, then the Song does not play. It only allows one connection to headphones, so I can have either "From Computer" or |Analog Post FX". Not both. What am I doing wrong? I can not route computer through the Mixer because there is no options to set up outputs. The Mixer Out Group 1-2 can be routed "To Computer" inputs but I don't understand how it would help me. The Analog Inputs of Mixer are not routed to Group 1-2 in Mixer so nothing is making any sense. What in the world, MOTU? I don't have time for this! Please, let me know what you connected to what. Thank you. 
2017/07/07 15:19:47
Jim Roseberry
Sounds like the monitor speakers are expecting a "line level" signal (-10dB or 0dB) and the MOTU is +4dB at the output.
2017/07/07 15:21:00
Jim Roseberry
The MOTU patchbay concept can be confusing at first... but spend some time working with it.
It's extremely flexible...
You essentially have a digital console (sans knobs/faders).

2017/07/08 19:00:17
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Jim Roseberry
The MOTU patchbay concept can be confusing at first... but spend some time working with it.
It's extremely flexible...
You essentially have a digital console (sans knobs/faders).

That's totally the case... and time spent to learn this is time well invested

FWIW I have my routing so that I can play any of my several hardware synths with Sonar off i.e. all are routed into the MOTU mixer. Likewise for the DAW master bus which also routes there ... so no need to change anything with and without Sonar. MOTU mixer main routes then to main monitors and headphones.
2017/07/11 03:20:50
vladasyn
I appreciate your replies. Jim, what you mean by "monitor speakers are expecting a "line level" signal (-10dB or 0dB) and the MOTU is +4dB at the output."- what post/ question you addressing?
I been waiting couple of days, hoping to get some help. It is disappointing that some of you here already know how to set it up but you would not share. I get it- explaining it is time consuming. I set it up. I can not get it to go through the mixer to headphones. I get it either Computer to headphones OR mixer to headphones. My Presonus is set to run From Computer signal to FireWire card and to channel 24-25, and each hardware synth has its own channel. With Motu- there must be a way to make it go from Computer to Mixer first, then from Mixer to headphones or main out. So if you know how- please, tell me. I am spending time with it. I don't know how much time is reasonable to spend- I am looking at it and I don't get how to connect it. So I am going to keep looking at it with "Duh" look, unless somebody helps me. I cant call Motu because I am at work when they are open and when I am away from it I cant explain them what I have connected where. So I keep spending hour after hour looking at it. I don't know. It won't do it. help! 

2017/07/11 05:04:35
vladasyn
I got things playing through the mixer. But now I have Triple signal from the Motif synth. One is from Motif on Sonar audio track when muted, two when unmuted, three from "From Computer,". If I have it Audio 3-4 to go to Audio of Motu, then I still have it coming from Computer and also through Echo of Sonar- how do I separate it? 

And now I set Mixer Main to Headphones, Monitors and Main at the same time and I think I get what I need- I have computer audio playing and I have Motif Instrument playing. I can record it. But I have to keep Analog 3-4 in mixed Muted and I disabled Echo on Sonar track, but this does not feel right. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account