2017/08/02 13:34:13
Jim Roseberry
interpolated
The only disadvantage I can see is 32 PCI lanes. 

With socket 1151, the 7700k provides 40 PCIe lanes
With socket 2011-3, the 6850k (on up) provides 40 PCIe lanes.
With socket 2066, the 7900x is currently the only CPU that provides 44 PCIe lanes.

Lower end CPUs provide 28 PCIe lanes.

On a simple build, it's a moot point.
On a more complex build (multiple video cards or multiple PCIe x4 SSDs), it's pretty limiting.

At $600, it's disappointing that the new i7-7820x is limited to 28 PCIe lanes.
For the power-user who's not pushing the absolute limits, the 6850k (socket 2011-3) is still a great choice.

2017/08/02 14:02:25
interpolated
I was referring to the Xeon , however it did answer another question.

2017/08/02 14:32:23
mettelus
tonyzub999
Thanks everyone. I have a decent understanding of computers, but trying to decide on whether to go power laptop alone or decent laptop and desktop is driving me crazy along with trying to retrofit my Liquid Saffire 56 to a PC laptop. I just want to get back to making music. I can use all the technical help I can get.

Quick note for the OP, Jim Roseberry (who has already chimed in on this thread) is an excellent source of info for computer builds. If you have specific options you are considering, Jim can pretty readily chime in with the pros/cons and suggestions for what your needs are. He also builds machines (see the link in his signature), so if you want to go that route, it is another option available through him - he builds computers with the main purpose of them being a DAW in mind.

That said, laptops will never reach the power/performance of a desktop for the same cost, but they can certainly meet your needs for both functions (seems that you want the portability of one even if you have a desktop). Can you expound on how you will generally be using the machines (DAW only, general use, etc. and in what type of environment/venue)?
2017/08/02 20:57:45
Sanderxpander
Not at the same cost, obviously, but for a little extra you can get pretty serious performance with modern mainstream desktop processors (e.g. i7 7700K) and 64GB DDR3 RAM in a laptop case. It's become quite possible to use it as desktop replacement, unless your needs are in the top extremes.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account