• SONAR
  • "Unable to open record device" message
2018/11/29 10:21:09
jonel
Hi All,
  I have recently come back to Sonar. When I tried to review my old tracks I get the above message. My current audio interface is 24-bit but I seem to recall that when I made the recordings I was having a problem with my input levels and I had changed the interface to use 16-bit instead of the 24. I think this is causing the above message. I tried a fresh recording and play back at the 24-bit level and no problems. Is there a way to convert the original 24-bit tracks so that they are now 24-bit?

Thanks

Jonel

2018/11/29 10:34:59
martins guit
select all tracks then go to utilities-change audio-format
2018/11/29 14:48:17
jonel
Hi Martin, No need to apologise, you communicate very well. Sadly this didn't solve my problem. I have been having trouble some time. Some years ago I recorded some tracks and to try and overcome a problem with my mic level I changed my bit depth to 16-bit.

I then moved on to Ableton, but have recently come back to Sonar and those old tracks. I kept getting that message, but when I tried it on my laptap it works with FL Studio and ASIO4ALL so I guessed that these to 'wrappers' were somehow able to change the bit depth of the Novation hardware to that of the file. But I really wanted to used the Novation driver because that is also the actual hardware. Although this can use both 16-bit and 24-bit, somehow the driver is not 'telling it' to do so. But I've learned a bit more.

Thanks

2018/11/30 12:32:47
chuckebaby
You didn't mention which version of Sonar/Bandlab you are using.
You also didn't mention what hardware you are using, nor did you mention what OS you are running.

these are critical in problem solving your issue.
It could be something as simple as your hardware is no longer supported by a newer OS (Windows 10)
Especially with older Firewire devices.
You cant achieve the higher bit rate because your hardware may be unsupported because the ASIO driver is not recognized.
2018/12/02 07:54:07
promidi
If you're running Windows 10, open settings (Win+I) and head to privacy | Microphone and make sure "Allow apps to access you microphone" is enabled.  If this is greyed out, then click "change" under "Microphone access for this device is off".

Note: this is if you're not using ASIO mode.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account