• Computers
  • Should I format Hard Drive at 64k Cluster (Block) size? (p.2)
2012/05/21 14:37:57
Jonbouy
I use PS CS3 (V8?) with no problems. And yup faster load times.
2012/05/21 15:09:56
SongCraft
Jonbouy

I use PS CS3 (V8?) with no problems. And yup faster load times.

Cool, on my much older (non-DAW load of trash PC) it handles OK but on larger files with tons of layers it gets a weee bit stoned. But on my much more beefed up PC (DAW) with the new hard drive (formatted at 64k cluster) assigned primarily for; video/audio and scratch disk it should run at lightening speed. I'll report later if I run into issues. 

I think the first CS started at version 8 thereby CS3 is version 10. 
2012/05/21 15:57:46
Jonbouy

Ah, OK I didn't realise I was that up to date. 6 was a good vintage I think before much of the bloat appeared.

I don't suspect for a minute that Jim would have sold you down the river with his succinct reply, although you could be forgiven for treating my expertise with a pinch of salt.

It's just that the homework I've done on the subject seems to bear out Jim's recommendation 100%

Good luck anyway.
2012/05/21 17:40:29
SongCraft
Jonbouy

Ah, OK I didn't realise I was that up to date. 6 was a good vintage I think before much of the bloat appeared.

I don't suspect for a minute that Jim would have sold you down the river with his succinct reply, although you could be forgiven for treating my expertise with a pinch of salt.

It's just that the homework I've done on the subject seems to bear out Jim's recommendation 100%

Good luck anyway.

No, no, not at all.... not rowing down the river without an iPaddle LOL!! 

Everything is fine thanks :) , I sincerely appreciate your advise and Jim's. 

I was concerned about older software and some other imaging software I have. Also 64k cluster is something I need to come up to speed.... to better understand.  

Your contribution to this topic is most helpful not only to me but to anyone else who happens to stumble upon this thread. 

All the best! 

2017/07/09 04:23:57
^Gecko^
I know this is years overdue, but there is another benefit to using NTFS cluster sizes larger than 4k;
4k limits you to partition and file sizes no greater than 16 terabytes.  If you need more than 16tB, use 64k clusters, lol.
2017/07/09 19:14:19
abacab
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account