• Computers
  • i7-6850k vs. i7-7700k vs. Ryzen 1800x (p.5)
2017/05/01 21:07:10
interpolated
Does it have Thunderbolt the Z270 chipset. As a workaround if you get a suitable adaptor you could channel it through that interface.

There's Apple Mac adapters however PC seem to be hiding.

Well Belkin do one......screw that price though. I'm sure Apple has upped the licensing rights for that one....

2017/05/01 21:35:35
Jim Roseberry
Some Z270 motherboards have Thunderbolt-3.

StarTech also makes a Thunderbolt-3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt-2 adapter.
2017/05/02 13:25:15
vladasyn
Well- I used the same model of the Fire Wire card that I used for my Ivy Bridge build. I think it is SIIG TI chip. Both cards work on my Ivy Bridge and none work on Kaby. We tried the legacy driver- it sees the mixer, it sees if I move the faders, it even updated firmware on the mixer via Fire Wire, so it communicates, but Audio cant go through. Do you think I need to buy another card model? As I say- the card works on Z77 motherboard.

And, yes, it has Thunderbolt. Dont mean to threadjack with my problem (my $2500 problem)- I can start another thread, also it been discussed in details in Toms Hardware. You saying- there is adopter from Thunderbolt to FireWire? That would be weird way to connect but if it works...  
2017/05/02 13:53:46
Jim Roseberry
Regarding Thunderbolt-3 to Firewire:
It would involve using a Thunderbolt-3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt-2 adapter... then a Thunderbolt to Firewire.
2017/05/02 14:45:55
vladasyn
Started new thread "Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 to FireWire" and it does not show in the thread list. Can anyone see it? (Sorry for this). Thank you. 
2017/06/02 05:55:43
occide
To anyone who's digging here, I want to share my experience with Ryzen 7 and Sonar Professional:

For Ryzen DRAM speed is very important to the CPU performance, there've also been Microcode updates the last couple of month increasing both DRAM and CPU performance. If you plan to overclock a Ryzen 7 1700 the price/performance ratio differs a bit to the Intel chips, plus the Intel Mainboards are quite more expensive.

One thing I recently found is if you set Sonars CPU affinity to not use Core 0 and 1 on Ryzen the load balancing in Sonar works a lot better, the spikes on CPU 0 go away completely and you get less dropouts. That's been just a personal finding and I don't know how it compares to the other tests here or in real life scenarios. Also Ryzen seems to gain a lot from using more instances of a demanding instrument like Falcon, in comparison to only use one instance of Falcon and load a bunch of instruments into that one instance.

I myself am pretty happy with my Ryzen 7 1700 overclocked to 3.95Ghz and DDR4 3000 (14-14-14-30) - it's still a beast of a machine, also for audio and it didn't cost me very much. Besides I also use this machine for gaming and other purposes, I made my decision for Ryzen consciously, knowing it would perform better in some areas and worse in other areas. 

I don't meant to say Jim's test suggested "Ryzen is bad for Sonar", cause in my eyes it didn't. But some people seem to interpret it that way and I personally cannot confirm this.
2017/06/02 14:57:15
Jim Roseberry
Have I said just how much I LOATH the forum software???  
2017/06/02 14:57:37
Jim Roseberry
Keep in mind I tested Ryzen when it was initially launched (and followed up a couple months later... after the dust had settled).

2017/06/02 14:57:52
Jim Roseberry
On initial launch, the motherboards were *super* flaky.  Beta status at best...
SMT (Hyper Threading in AMD speak) would mysteriously disappear.
Change an unrelated BIOS setting (disable onboard Audio) and the motherboard wouldn't boot with RAM at 2667MHz.

Several months down the line, motherboards have solidified a bit.
However, there's still some flaky behavior.
We had one scenario (recently testing X370 motherboards with RAM at 3200MHz) where the motherboard would let you into the BIOS... and immediately lock up.  The behavior continued even after clearing CMOS.  
Had to pull the RAM to get motherboard back to normal function.
At this point, there's no way I'd build a Ryzen based DAW for clients.

Intel X99 motherboards are mature and rock-solid
ie: You can install DDR4/3200 in just about any major X99 motherboard... and it'll work just fine.
Ironically, there's not a major performance benefit for using higher speed RAM.

These things said, we do have an 1800x based DAW here in the studio.
Overall, it's running pretty well.
We've got 32GB RAM running at 3200MHz.
Still waiting on further BIOS updates... to improve RAM compatibility and eliminate issues when changing parameters.
With fast RAM, the 1800x does best the i7-6850k running DAW Bench (low-latency audio stress-test).

Healthy competition is good for everyone...
Intel hasn't had serious competition for at least a decade.
Ryzen has the potential to be serious competition.
AMD's next generation "Threadripper" CPUs are even more enticing.
Up to 16-cores (32 Threads) and 64 PCIe lanes...
2017/06/02 15:36:37
scook
Jim Roseberry
Have I said just how much I LOATH the forum software???  

I restored the post but it appears you edited it after I restored it. The spam blocker had two chances to delete the post and it opted to do so both times.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account