• Computers
  • i7-6850k vs. i7-7700k vs. Ryzen 1800x (p.6)
2017/06/02 16:15:43
Jim Roseberry
I appreciate your efforts, scook.   :)
FWIW, I can't ever edit a post without it being removed.
2017/06/02 17:43:39
scook
Hosts have no control over the spam blocker, it is maintained by CW staff. You might see if Ryan can do something about it.
2017/06/03 07:34:12
occide
Jim Roseberry
On initial launch, the motherboards were *super* flaky.  Beta status at best...

That's all correct. And the state of beta isn't over for Ryzen, probably never will be. Especially the mainboards still have a ton of issues that can be hard and time consuming to deal with, even for experienced PC builders.

BIOS updates keep coming but fix little. This is the price you pay for a low-cost high-performance computer. But the newer Intel CPUs do have some issues to, albeit not the same. The 6th and 7th generation i7 all run pretty hot, without spending additional money for high-grade cooling solutions you won't be able to overclock at all. When it comes to the newer Intel CPUs it's all about the money, too much for my taste.

The best thing definitely is that Intel finally has some competition to deal with. Even the pro-Intel party should consider this as a big plus, Intel has been looting all of us to an extensive level, and I personally was feed up with this. Before Ryzen I considered buying solely on the second-hand market from now on, which would have been a questionable decision, cause CPUs wear. After Ryzen Intel pulled one new announcement after the other from their magic hat.
2017/06/03 16:11:34
Jim Roseberry
FWIW, Both AMD and Intel release information (and products) "as necessary".
AMD was clearly sitting on Threadripper.  
There's no way it would be ready that quickly... unless it was already well into development/production.

I don't want to come off anti AMD.
If AMD is the better option (faster and solid), we're happy to use them.

2017/06/04 02:53:17
Vastman
Bill Gabbert
The way I understand it....
AMD Only manufactures the Ryzen 1800x .
Then with a lazer, disables features and cores that result in the 1700s, 1600s, 1500s,1400s.
I guess Intel does the same thing....Marketing.

NOT marketing at all... it is economies of scale... if you can produce the same product and disable portions more cheaply than producing a variety of products to address various needs/price points, you are smart.  Needless to say, it says more about our race to the bottom line and flaws in the rape/pillage/plunder capitalistic system than "marketing"
2017/06/10 17:35:41
gowimusic
Do you understand why the ryzen chip is not the clear winner?
2017/06/12 16:13:21
PrismaPhonic
Hi,

Someone linked this thread on a similar thread I made over on gearslutz where I benchmarked the 6900k vs the 1800x.  You may find my results interesting:

Gearslutz Thread:

Youtube video:
2017/06/12 16:14:39
PrismaPhonic
Weird, it wouldn't let me link them! 

Let me try again:

EDIT: Apparently this forum won't let me link anything!  Very weird.  Look up on Youtube my video "Intel vs AMD 8-Core Audio Showdown!"
2017/06/12 17:01:57
mettelus
A user with less than 25 posts cannot post direct links, but someone recently simply substituted the http with hxxp and the text came through fine.
2017/06/13 12:27:14
Jim Roseberry
With the Intel 6850k or 6900k, Reaper will playback glitch-free right up to 100% CPU load.
With the 1800x (even with RAM running at 3200MHz), Reaper can not playback glitch-free with CPU load near 100%.

That said, when running the Reaper version of DAW Bench (using the 64Bit version of their Multi-Band Compressor for load), the 1800x outperformed the 6850k.  (I've posted the figures here on the forums.)
When running the 32Bit version of their Multi-Band Compressor, the 6850k outperforms the 1800x.

With Ryzen, getting RAM to run at 3200MHz (and the motherboard to behave rock-solid) is a quest.
We've got an 1800x with RAM running at 3200MHz... and it's mostly flake free.
But... a pair of USB ports just stopped working.
X370 motherboards were rushed out the door.  Worst launch I've seen in years.

I have no doubt the Ryzen platform will ultimately solidify... but for now, there's no way we'd build Ryzen for clients.

Threadripper certainly looks interesting (on paper).
We'll see how it goes in the real-world...

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account