2018/09/15 19:30:27
bayoubill
You Am the bapu! 

2018/09/16 21:45:18
kennywtelejazz
bayoubill
When I was in the USAF band I would do jazz trio gigs at lunchtime for an hour and a half or so. Donna Lee, Cherokee and any bebop tunes with standards like Satin Doll or Summer Samba made up the set. Playing that music was a very good chop builder. When you do that stuff classic rock and anything else is a breeze.
Kenny have you ever attended a jazz music school? 

sounds good .

Hi Bill ,

I am mostly self taught .
As I got older I was very lucky to have studied with guitar players and Jazz Musicians that were much better than myself . Incorporating Jazzy elements and techniques has broadened my playing in all the non jazz musical areas  .
In all honesty I'm glad that part of it all stuck conceptually in my guitar playing .
It would take a lot of work on my part for me to play in a traditional  Jazz Gig where it is only Standards being played  ...
At the height of my Jazz playing when I was primed , had the chops  and was sharp . I was lucky if I could even get $ 40 bucks for a gig ...It wasn't about the money at all , it just seemed that no matter what I did I always felt as if I was climbing Mt Impossible with out a safety harness all the time ...

talk more w you later in the PM .

Kenny

2018/09/17 15:44:19
bayoubill
Kenny - Have you checked out the Omnibook? It's the bebop bible

It's fun stuff for me. I love just playing around with it. 

I use Sonar to practice this kind of stuff. Making backing tracks can teach as much as the licks you're working on. 
I'm no bapu so bass parts don't come easy and working one out to go with the licks I'm working on teaches much about function and song writing not to mention technique. The thing with bass playing is not sounding like a guitar player on bass. HARD to do for me 
Same with the drum parts. I use my fingers  for a basic rhythms
Keyboard are worked out too. I don't use anything predone cuz there's too much to learn by doing myself.

You don't need to do any of the that though. The fragment thing is what I am Am talking about 
 Autumn Leaves was one of the tunes I used for this purpose cuz it used all the chords types and was great for exploring or jamming. 
 I eventually exported and posted a recording of the tracks a while back based on the Miles Davis version of it. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account