• SONAR
  • Is there a way to "sync" 2 sets of wav files?
2018/11/21 19:06:54
bluebeat1313
Hi fellows. 

I came to a roadblock that I can not resolve.
In Cakewalk I have 5 tracks that are synced properly (from software A)
and 5 tracks (from software B) that are not synced well to the ones from software A, but are synced among each other (Software B)
Developer of Software B told me that outputted WAV files are:   "what you hear" recording, and is not in sync with any reference clock...

Is there a way to sync all of these WAV files?

Thank you in advance!

2018/11/21 19:28:20
mritenburg
You can convert the waves from software B into groove clips within Cakewalk and then stretch them to fit with the other wave files.
2018/11/21 19:35:43
bluebeat1313
mritenburg, thank you for suggestion, however this seems a very tedious approach.  Latency starts to happen at around after 20 seconds into the tune and increases exponentially.  I thought there would be a way to automate this process because all 5 tracks are synced to each other...

Can anybody else please comment.

Thank you.
2018/11/21 19:47:33
mritenburg
bluebeat1313
mritenburg, thank you for suggestion, however this seems a very tedious approach.  Latency starts to happen at around after 20 seconds into the tune and increases exponentially.  I thought there would be a way to automate this process because all 5 tracks are synced to each other...

Can anybody else please comment.

Thank you.

You're saying 2 clicks to enable groove-clips is tedious?  

Well, you can try Audio Snap, but it's actually more work.

2018/11/21 22:10:08
bluebeat1313
2 clicks.. maybe you are right, I never tried it before. I thought that those "grove clips" would be roughly 20 seconds each because that is where latency shows up. So 3 minute track =  9 groove clips x 5 tracks... I might be thinking this wrong... 
2018/11/21 22:36:41
slartabartfast
The problem you describe is that one set of tracks is not synched to any standard clock/tempo. Simply stretching the whole track will not eliminate the variability. If you create single groove clips, or any other method of stretching, from those full tracks, the altered tracks will remain synched to the others in their set, but the tempo for the whole set will likely wander relative to the other set. You might be able to sort of automate the regulation of that wandering with a tempo map, audiosnap or melodyne, but you may end up having to split the tracks into multiple clips and stretch individual clips. This could be tedious indeed. 
2018/11/21 23:18:14
bluebeat1313
slartabartfast, thank you for reply. 
Yes, stretching whole thing (track(s)) does not do it, because latency is  exponential.
That is what I was afraid of.  I thought that there might be some sort of "smart" elastique tool that can do this sort of thing for multiple tracks, without chopping the heck out of them. I guess I am out of luck?
2018/11/21 23:45:51
msmcleod
I've not tried this,  just trying to think outside the box...

So say you take just one track, extract a tempo map/make a groove clip , then save that project as "tempo map"

Then save the project as "track1".

Then, set the tempo to some average so that everything is the same tempo (e.g. if the tempo range in the map was between 115 and 125, you'd set the tempo for the whole clip to 120).

Then save the groove clip as "clip1".

Now start a new project, "track2" with the second wav file, extract a tempo map/make a groove clip, set the tempo to the same as clip1 and save the clip as "clip2"

Do the same for the other three tracks.

Then open the original "tempo map" project and drag each of the saved clips into the project as new tracks.

So basically you're:

1. Getting a map of the tempo for the song from one of the tracks.
2. Evening out the tempo of all the tracks to a fixed tempo, saving each track as a groove clip
3. Importing them into the original project, so that the original song tempo map (with all its variations) is applied evenly to all tracks.

There's probably some work involved in setting the fixing the time-markers when creating the groove clip, but wouldn't something like this work? 
2018/11/22 00:19:49
bluebeat1313
Mark, it does make sense, and what I would normally do, if this was just one project.... I would just get my hands dirty,  chop those tracks every 3-4 bars and manually move them, so they are in "sync" with the rest of the stuff. 

The problem is... Software "B" will always have syncing (latency) issues for the reason, as developer said:
Output Wav files are - "what you hear" recording, and is not in sync with any reference clock...

I am guestimating... I believe...  that latency of WAV files from "Software B" will always have same algorithm... 
I am looking for some automation process that would resolve very similar latency behavior in this and future projects for multiple tracks. 

Thanks.
2018/11/22 02:46:55
Cactus Music
Personally I would avoid Software B. What sort of DAW does not export a proper wave file?? I'm curious. It's allowed to use names here too :)  
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account