2016/07/01 07:02:16
LJB
Hi guys, I do A LOT of tracking and then a lot of editing, most-often with full bands playing live in the studio as basic guides and then we start re-tracking and punching in individuals as needed.

The problem is that I find things go wrong when you start having masses of takes grouped... the only way to create order is to ungroup all of them and create new groups, selecting one clip at a time... Try doing that with 10 or 15 takes of a full band lying on top of each other in Take Lanes, with punch-ins etc.. It's a nightmare.

My go-to setup is to assign tracks to instrument folders and set grouping to group tracks in folders... which kinda works, until it doesn't, or gets confusing later, or you edit a bunch of stuff here but it affects stuff you forgot was still linked... you know what I mean, I hope :O)

I would love to make some constructive suggestions to the Bakers as to how to improve all that, and I have a few ideas however unrefined. I'd like you guys to throw ideas at this and let's see if we can't create a better system.

Here's a few ideas of mine for Grouping Options/Rules. These apply to multiple tracks mostly:

1) Group by Clip Name
You could for instance easily group all clips together that are named Record 17 etc.

2) Release All Clips with ____* in the name from Group

3) Group All Clips Between Point A and B per Take Lane
In other words, for example all drum tracks sitting in Take Lane X between points A and B, across the entire Drum Folder or across the entire project.

4) Group all ACTIVE(Unmuted) clips between A and B

5) Release all Muted clips from group.

Let me know your thoughts!

Ludwig
2016/07/02 11:23:17
ampfixer
Sorry I have no concrete suggestions for you. Noel and Co. seem to be on their own mission right now to revise the entire process of clip management. There's talk of "ripple editing" to improve clip management and he's even mentioned that they are working on an arranger system similar (I guess) to Studio 1.

There are many promises in the air but I don't see the forums as the source for most of the planned changes. Wish I had something to contribute.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account