• Computers
  • Breaking news: Presonus is now working, but pops and clicking won't go away (p.3)
2017/06/28 03:29:55
vladasyn
Ok, this is the LAN driver listed for my Motherboard on Asus web site: Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V21.1.30.0, released in January 2017. There is no update.

On Intel web site there are newer drivers but I am not sure I can select the right one and could there be a reason Asus did not post update done- may be it not working well? 
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/47549/Intel-82579-Gigabit-Ethernet-Controller

Thank you again. 
2017/06/28 03:43:34
abacab
One approach would be to temporarily unplug everything that you don't absolutely need to boot the system.  Disable onboard features that you can boot without, such as the Ethernet port.

Reboot and then run the test.  If it passes, then proceed to add one thing back at a time until the test fails again.
2017/06/28 05:10:17
vladasyn
Right. I am about to install Thunderbolt card. I disabled Hi Def Audio in BIOS, WiFi and Bluetooth, but this did not help. Still Network driver, Direct X and NVidia. The Presonus Audio Playback is ok, I changed it to 128 for testing but probably will have it at 256. Most of synths work ok, U-he Diva still has occasional clicks.

I did remove Marvel for now. 

Interestingly, My M2 Slot 1 is set to Auto (Not PCIE, Not SATA). My other 6 drives work ok, so I assume it is in PCIE because if it was in SATA, it would disable some SATA ports but it didn't.

The Thunderbolt has like 10 different settings in BIOS that need to be set. I have to read the manual, I have no idea. 
2017/06/28 10:14:30
azslow3
For network, you can test with it disconnected.
For graphics, you can try to switch to internal graphics for tests.
I mean if you can get the system to the state "works perfect with 128" (better with 64 if SL has such setting), you will at least know what exactly is problematic.

For NVIDIA and latency: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/941579/geforce-1000-series/gtx-1080-high-dpc-latency-and-stuttering/1/
But how bad are numbers at the moment?

Also one obvious by sometimes overseen factor to check: temperature. What is your cooling system? Have you already checked which CPU/System temperatures you get under hi load?
Even if you have best CPU cooler, it can happened it is not fixed right. CPU in many cases still work, but will be throttled by temperature. Also some BIOS "Auto" settings sometimes try to "over"/"under" something (frequency, voltage, etc.). That by itself can overheat the chip-set/CPU, even when the system is not over-clocked.
GPUs have different temperature/silence/performance modes. That can influence the latency.

2017/06/28 15:13:44
abacab
azslow3

Also one obvious by sometimes overseen factor to check: temperature. What is your cooling system? Have you already checked which CPU/System temperatures you get under hi load?
Even if you have best CPU cooler, it can happened it is not fixed right. CPU in many cases still work, but will be throttled by temperature. Also some BIOS "Auto" settings sometimes try to "over"/"under" something (frequency, voltage, etc.). That by itself can overheat the chip-set/CPU, even when the system is not over-clocked.
GPUs have different temperature/silence/performance modes. That can influence the latency.

HWiNFO is a handy free tool to check your system specs with and read your temperature and fan sensors.  It also show the frequency your CPU cores are clocked at.

https://www.hwinfo.com/
2017/06/28 15:24:19
vladasyn
For Network- you mean disabling Lan in device manager? Knowing that it improved would not solve issue- I know- it has latency- I need to do something to make it work better. I need it to be able to connect to internet at all time. This is why I need to see if there better driver (see my earlier post on this).

My numbers... I set Presonus to 128. The Latency has minor occasional clicks when using H-He Diva synth- this synth is known to be heavy on CPU, but I had no issues with it on my other system, so it can run good, just not yet for me. Some time I think I heard a click on playback, but then I am not sure if it was. I think it acts the same if I set it to 256. 

The LatencyMon shows the bar going aaaaaalllllll the way across the screen in to the red for Direct X, NVidia and LAN. 
My temperature for CPU according to BIOS is 36C. I dont do heavy loads- I dont play video games on this computer, so- with using normal Sonar project it stays 36C on Air cooler (not stock, but one of those $30 popular coolers everybody uses- it works pretty good).

I made an effort not to install any NVIDIA power management software with the driver, but it is possible I missed something and something got installed. I need to look for NVIDIA settings, not sure where it would be.

When I select High Performance setting in Power Management of Windows, it changes minimum CPU state to 100%, I click ok, and then when I open it again, it says, "Balanced" and minimum CPU power state is 5%. I do not have any Samsung software installed. I dont have AI Suite- Asus power management software. May be NVidia sneak something in their installation- how would I check that? I can not think of anything that would control my power. In BIOS, I have XMP profile enabled for Memory. When selecting XMP profile, it asks if I want to increase CPU frequency or something. If I say Yes, it increases it to like 4.5. If I say No, it leaves CPU to run at 4.2, but increases Memory to 3000Mhz. But I dont think this would affect Power settings in Windows. 

2017/06/28 15:28:22
vladasyn
abacab
emperature/silence/performance modes. That can influence the latency.

HWiNFO is a handy free tool to check your system specs with and read your temperature and fan sensors.  It also show the frequency your CPU cores are clocked at.

Yeah, I can see those numbers in BIOS. My Fans have controller so they can not be measured by Motherboard. If I wanted to have all that information, I would install AI Suite- this is Asus overclocking and monitoring software syit, it is complex. I am glad I did NOT install it, or I would have to wonder what else it doing to my system that I dont understand. In BIOS it says my CPU codes are at 4.2Mhz (not overclocked). I can male it go 4.5, the temperature stays ok if I can rely on BIOS reading. 
2017/06/28 15:34:17
abacab
vladasyn
abacab

Yeah, I can see those numbers in BIOS. My Fans have controller so they can not be measured by Motherboard. If I wanted to have all that information, I would install AI Suite- this is Asus overclocking and monitoring software syit, it is complex. I am glad I did NOT install it, or I would have to wonder what else it doing to my system that I dont understand. In BIOS it says my CPU codes are at 4.2Mhz (not overclocked). I can male it go 4.5, the temperature stays ok if I can rely on BIOS reading. 

You can download the portable app.  No install required, it only runs when you run it, and so you can monitor stuff when Windows is running, not just from BIOS.

It's a very well regarded tool, has been around a while!
2017/06/28 15:42:02
abacab
vladasyn

I made an effort not to install any NVIDIA power management software with the driver, but it is possible I missed something and something got installed. I need to look for NVIDIA settings, not sure where it would be.

When I select High Performance setting in Power Management of Windows, it changes minimum CPU state to 100%, I click ok, and then when I open it again, it says, "Balanced" and minimum CPU power state is 5%. I do not have any Samsung software installed. I dont have AI Suite- Asus power management software. May be NVidia sneak something in their installation- how would I check that? I can not think of anything that would control my power. In BIOS, I have XMP profile enabled for Memory. When selecting XMP profile, it asks if I want to increase CPU frequency or something. If I say Yes, it increases it to like 4.5. If I say No, it leaves CPU to run at 4.2, but increases Memory to 3000Mhz. But I dont think this would affect Power settings in Windows. 

When installing nVidia drivers, I always select the custom install, let me choose.

You can unselect everything except the core drivers.  They seem to want to push something called nVidia Experience and some other stuff you don't need, but maybe want if you play games.

XMP profiles for memory are factory set "aggressive" RAM timing profiles to enhance gaming features and overclock RAM.

XMP is probably not needed unless you are overclocking.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html
2017/06/28 16:49:28
vladasyn
Well- my memory is 3000mhz, but without XMP runs at 2100, which is undercloked for its specs. It needs XMP to run by factory spec. I am just saying that XMP profile asks me if I want to do anything with processor and if I say Yes, it overclocks it, if no- it only overclocks memory.

I installed Nvidia experience at least one, but I reinstalled Windows literally 14 times, so last few times I was trying not to install it unless I missed it and it got installed.

I enter BIOS after computer runs in Windows and it shows me the temperatures- it would not have time to cool off. It just that Motherboard sensors for some reason always show different temperature than Asus AI Suit, usually Motherboard is higher. My Haswell computer always runs 46C. This one always at 36-37C, I doubt I have temperature problem. 
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account