• Software
  • VCV Rack - Open-source virtual Eurorack DAW
2017/09/23 16:32:40
scook
VCV has been in development for a few months. It has quite a collection of modules with more planned. User contributions are starting to show up. Currently a standalone synth. There is a plan to add FX and instrument VST plug-ins to communicate with it soon. Here is an image from the main page

There are also a few videos showing up on YT and a kvr thread.

2017/09/23 16:44:19
bitflipper
Wow, that's an ambitious project. Might be a bit daunting for the casual user, though.

Still, it's clearly in its infancy, and once there's a sizable patch library and a VST wrapper it'll be much more accessible to the masses. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.
2017/09/23 18:11:57
Glyn Barnes
It does look interesting. I will certainly be having a play around with it, I wonder how it will compare to Softube's commercial Modular.
2017/09/23 18:19:08
scook
It's a pretty good start. Once the stackable cables and scrolling to make connections are added patching will be comparable to Softube. Right now, it's multiples and making sure the input and output are visible on the screen. Adding/moving/deleting modules is more natural than Softube. AudibleInstuments and ESeries modules are ports of the manufacturers' open source used in their hardware.
2017/09/24 01:31:07
scook
Did someone say patches? I just found this.
2017/09/24 10:17:56
synkrotron
I've downloaded and installed Rack, of course, I mean, why wouldn't I haha!

Had a brief play but had a few issues with the GUI and couldn't be bothered sorting it out.

Question for me, is, should I be contemplating the likes of Rack and Softubes Eurorack emulation when I have the real thing gather dust just three feet away from me?
2017/09/24 13:00:28
Glyn Barnes
synkrotron

Question for me, is, should I be contemplating the likes of Rack and Softubes Eurorack emulation when I have the real thing gather dust just three feet away from me?

Good question, it probably depends on what modules you have in your Eurorack and, importantly, why it gathers dust.

One of the advantages of the Softube modular over the real thing (apart from cost and space) is the ability to have several instances of the same module in a patch. The DAW interface is good with the ability to sync to tempo at various rates (more if you also use the clock divider) and have multiple audio outputs. Additional modules are a fraction the price of hardware.

I have had fun building patches with multiple sequencers and slew limiters at different tempos controlling various parameters, something that would probably appeal to you for creating the sort of evolving soundscapes you produce. To have all those sequencers would make for a pretty expensive and large hardware EuroRack.
2017/09/24 15:49:14
synkrotron
Glyn Barnes
One of the advantages of the Softube modular over the real thing (apart from cost and space) is the ability to have several instances of the same module in a patch.

Aye! You have me there, Glyn, for sure... Soft versions of modular stuff is always going to be more cost effective and flexible. Perhaps there is a place for both

I am still using Reaktor Blocks from time to time, but even the so called "user friendliness" of Blocks, patching things up in Softube and, indeed, Rack, is so much more intuitive, once you know how things work.

I think, however, that having a hardware modular system can be a lot more "satisfying" than a software version of the same thing.

I'm hoping I'm not sounding too much like a hardware snob there haha! I still love all my soft synths and effects
2017/09/24 15:56:31
Wookiee
Download this a day or two ago, works fine on my secondary DAW can not find my audio interface on my Primary.

Andy have you downloaded version 0.3.1 supposed to fix the graphics issue.
2017/09/24 16:00:44
synkrotron
Wookiee 
Andy have you downloaded version 0.3.1 supposed to fix the graphics issue.

I'll have a look at that, Wooks, thanks
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account