2017/05/16 20:19:01
fireberd
I've had Intel, Gigabyte, ASRock and ASUS motherboards over the years.  I've had better luck with ASUS so my last build used an ASUS board.  It is a "gamer" board but I didn't buy it for gaming, I bought it because of the number of USB ports on the rear I/O panel.

If your power supply is over 1 year old, consider replacing it (I would only use a new power supply with a new motherboard build).  I would use at least a 650 watt and a "fully modular" type, which helps to eliminate excess power supply cables.

2017/05/16 20:28:49
interpolated
Well it's over a year old. It is modular and well the psu replacement is a consideration if needed. Currently it's 750watt I will check the power requirements more closely.
2017/05/16 21:46:01
fireberd
"Bigger is better" in power supplies.  You will have reserve and if you decide to add video or other hardware you will already have the power.

Once caution with power supplies, avoid the inexpensive or "no name" power supplies.  A lot of them are over rated in watts and have poor DC voltage regulation.  
2017/05/16 21:49:43
abacab
I have always tried to buy cases without power supplies, and then spend a bit more on a quality PSU.  If the case I wanted came with a generic power supply, I usually just chucked it and replaced.

Another thing I cannot recommend enough to go with a good PSU, is a UPS system.  It's an extra expense, but for ~$60 or so you can get a decent one.  It cleans up your local mains, and provides a shock absorber for your PSU, providing protection form surges and brownouts.  You don't really need one with unlimited battery backup, just something to ride out momentary events, or give enough time for a smooth shutdown in case of complete power failure.

I have only had one power supply fail in 20 years, and that was the only one not protected by a UPS.

I spent many years in corporate IT, so maybe power backups was just drilled into me, along with good security and backup practices ...
2017/05/16 22:03:31
abacab
fireberd
I've had Intel, Gigabyte, ASRock and ASUS motherboards over the years.  I've had better luck with ASUS so my last build used an ASUS board.

I have had great luck with Intel and Asus.  But Intel has gotten out of the desktop board building business.  I have several Intel Socket 478 (Pentium 4) boards and 1 Asus 478 board that still work. They are relics now, LOL!

So my last two Intel Core builds were on Asus branded boards.  I picked out a couple of boards that had the long life solid polymer capacitors.  They should outlast that hardware generation's normal lifecycle, at least!

I repaired a friend's HP Media Center PC a few years ago, that had a motherboard with bulging capacitors.  Yikes!  No boot, no post, fans just spinning.  I was lucky that I could find a refurb mobo to fit that proprietary HP case.  It was one of those wacky BTX layouts.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_(form_factor)

So I would add that the quality of motherboard components is probably just as important as a good PSU.
2017/05/17 00:06:31
interpolated
This isn't my first pc build as I tend not rely on oem prebuilds. Except laptops though.

I suppose i was looking For secondary input. Basically this will be my requirement. A fanless gpu, ssd boot drive and a couple more sample libraries. I won't be overclocking, will be using silent ish cooling with pwm fan for the cpu cooler.

Definitely not a gamer machine more like a quiet performance machine. I know I won't need a powerful gpu or could use the Intel in-built graphics however I like to keep my graphics independent.
2017/05/17 00:54:41
abacab
interpolated
 I know I won't need a powerful gpu or could use the Intel in-built graphics however I like to keep my graphics independent.

IMO, the only (dis)advantages to a discrete GPU in a DAW are extra heat and power consumption.

Most CPU & mobo configurations today can support integrated graphics on 2-3 monitors in anything from HD to 4K, so putting that money towards another drive or more RAM makes more sense to me.
2017/05/17 00:59:24
abacab
And that Gigabyte does look like a good board, but for my build I would probably opt for the Asus version of that spec.

2017/06/11 12:53:11
mudgel
Might be worth having a 30 minute consult with Jim. He'll give you a parts list with links for where to get the parts.

The beauty of it is:
1. Jim will have tested the parts he recommends on numerous other builds.
2. Probably most important thing about a Motherboard apart from having the appropriate connections you need, is that the BIOS expose the settings necessary to have a computer that is really well suited to audio. This is an area where Jim's advice will be invaluable.

Point 2 is info that most of us users would not know. That alone is worth the price of a brief paid consultation.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account