2017/06/04 02:51:26
AVTechman
With many changes with hardware and software nowadays, I have decided to build a new system. This one is based on the x99 chipset. The quick specs are as follows:

Asus x99 Deluxe Motherboard
64GB DDR4 RAM
i7 6900K Intel CPU
nVidia GTX 1080
Rosewill RSV-L4000 4U Rackmount case
EVGA 800 watt PSU

For my audio interface, I just recently acquired the RME Fireface UFX, though now just read that the UFX II/UFX+ just came out....bummer! Anyway I have Sonar Platinum and while my new planned machine will be a beast, it will also serve as my primary video editing workstation, so planning to do two tasks under one machine. I remember in years past when it was ideal to have a separate machine just for DAW use but....I feel now to conserve on the number of PC's and energy usage I think combining it all under one workstation box would be better.

Now, I have been running Windows 7 for a long time with no issues. Currently I do not have an OS installed on the new machine yet and undecided whether to go with Windows 10 or not. I have always been hesitant in newer OS's, especially with 10 being somewhat known as a 'spying OS'. Any general use like email and such I have a separate office PC for so all my workstation will be used for is to record audio and edit videos and photos. However I do wonder sometimes if one can say watch training videos on the workstation if learning how to do a certain task.

As for backup, doing a little research on ADK's website I noted they use Paragon's BNR software for machine backups. I am familiar with them as I have BNR on my older XP machine I use to capture all my analog video. I have also considered trying the free version of Veeam's backup software as well. What is everyone here using for backing up your DAW machines?

Once all is said and done I look to have a beastly machine that will last me a long time.

2017/06/07 18:52:29
Sir Les
I suggest getting the fastest ddr4 ram , the Mobo can support, from a very good manufacturer, and step the cpu up to gain maximum lane counts...to feature the best it can be.

cheers.
2017/06/07 21:16:31
Jim Roseberry
FWIW, with socket 2011-3... you won't see appreciable performance gain using DDR4 above 2400MHz.
By comparison, Ryzen sees a significant performance boost (especially at small ASIO buffer sizes).

The 6850k and above all provide 40 PCIe lanes.
The 6800k provides 28 PCIe lanes.
This is really only a factor if you're using two high-end graphics cards... or you want to use PCIe x4 SSDs (especially multiple PCIe x4 SSDs).
2017/06/09 17:28:05
Sir Les
Depends on CPU...5960x...more bandwidth,...faster protocols...faster ram...no worries perhaps?...I was using 2400 on the system below...Since updating to 3200. and 8 core cpu..the system seems more stable....although windows 10 did damages through migration, and auto updates killed many machines via that process of forced upon sabotage!

Just saying...I was using Thunderbolt 2, on same MoBo...20 lane setup in bios...And it was working for a bit with 2400 ram, as that was the highest sold at the time of buying in!
...But I had issues with Sonar...and any audio device used would have workarounds to get it stable enough to record 32 tracks at once....using firewire 400  and 800...still no joy!
So..I raised the bar of the CPU swap...Invested in faster 3200 Ram...Thunderbolt 2 works with Ram I believe...And hence now 40 lanes with new swap of CPU 8 core...Is working better than before with win 7.
But Midi seems to be default Windows synth based GM or GS Protocols, must be using the onboard chipset for music?...when ever I try to use midi...and plug ins...I get all sorts of play back issues.....And the ASIO Driver gets lost still...and hang ups or freezes with error report sending ...it cannot do?...seems something is wrong with onboard Internet Nic...writting errors to log files.

So, I am hunting on why...But I am trying the newest and best...So, perhaps it takes time to sort it all out?

Is faster better, If hickups remain unsolved?...seeming as I have kind of left the PC builds for a bit, to try the Mac Pro 2014..8 core....took some time to understand its workings..and still I am not totally learned....I am getting work done, with less troubles in troubleshooting it....and as Thunderbolt is native to the Apple tree people?...It just seems less troubles are with it...

Nice to take the hat off, and dig into making music...for a change of pace....I will watch your builds...and take notes...But, what usb is, is still not the best Port of calling, and I did not invest in usb.

Thunderbolt 3 is even faster...so if it is using faster Bussing of data....and it is put into Memory some of...The fastest possible would serve one better any hoot...regardless of seeing it faster...it just might help the clock speed and latency...you do not see, but hear!...clicks and pops , and unstable freeze ups, most likely due to irq collisions unresolved requests,  or crashes no more?

Well You try it your way...and let me know please.

And I will try my way and see...and let you know.

Regards.
Cheers!

Sir Les
2017/06/09 19:03:57
Sir Les
3200 interesting number.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account