2017/06/05 22:52:47
razor
Hey Guys--

Not that long ago I upgraded my system and programs HDD for an SSD. Much better performance, but since my Sonar project folders are on a separate HDD, my project load times didn't improve all that much, etc. etc. My PC load time, and other app load times improved dramatically though.

Well, I made the jump! I just bought my 2nd SSD where all of my Sonar project folders are going--a little nervous because I am mid-project right now, but a whole lot easier to stick the HDD back in if I have issues than in times past when I was doing a disaster recovery from a failed drive. Been there. Hate it.

Anyway, I have really good cloning software and I don't expect any issues. Just a little excited because I held out putting SSD's into my DAW for a while now, and I'm really looking forward to the next phase of performance improvements! :-)
2017/06/05 23:36:36
TheSteven
My first bike as a kid had plastic tires, crappy gear ratio, etc. but I loved it.
The first time I rode a bike with pneumatic tires I couldn't believe how smooth the ride was and how fast you could go.  The old reliable starter bike just seemed like such a junker after that.

Going from a HD to an SSD is similar.  Sorry Razor - you're screwed.  Never again will you be satisfied with old fashion hard drives. 
2017/06/05 23:54:23
abacab
^^^ what he said, LOL!!!
2017/06/06 13:31:48
BobF
On your project load time ...

If your projects are sample heavy, with VI sample loading causing the delays, then using SSD for your sample library will give you greater benefit than using SSD for your projects.
2017/06/06 13:50:46
Mesh
Sorry for the slight off topic Q, but wondered if you guys had an SSD fail on you?

I've only had one SSD (a Samsung as my boot drive) and it's been going strong for the past 4 years......just wondered what are the general lifespan of these are?  
2017/06/06 14:03:19
abacab
I've been using my Samsung as my boot drive daily for 1.5 years, and it's still at 100% health.

I think the stories of SSD failures and limited number of writes were mostly regarding the early models.  It seems the quality has improved with each generation.  In theory, there are a finite number of writes, but probably not a huge factor in the real world.

Still, I would recommend a backup image plan for all important drives, whether HDD or SSD, as all drives can fail.  Murphy's Law ...

Grueling endurance test blows away SSD durability fears
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2856052/grueling-endurance-test-blows-away-ssd-durability-fears.html
2017/06/06 20:02:24
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
abacab
Still, I would recommend a backup image plan for all important drives, whether HDD or SSD, as all drives can fail.  Murphy's Law ...

+1000

I had one SSD fail on me after a little more than 2 years of virtually daily use ... on a tablet PC which I used for office tasks. Never bothered to do a proper image since it's just office stuff and not a DAW ... took me 3 days to get the machine back to where it was before the SSD crash. one day just for getting windows to the latest update stage and 2 days to download and reinstall all these applications that I installed over the years ... backup, backup, backup
2017/06/12 21:01:25
razor
Well, my data transfer cables (for disk to disk cloning) utilize the old USB 2.0 speed. So, it took about 9 hours to clone my project drive from HDD to SSD!

Needless to say, I didn't feel like continuing the task of moving drives that late at night, so I plan on finishing the replacement of the cloned HDD with the ready SSD when I get home from work today.

Here's my question: Has anyone here cloned their projects from an HDD to an SSD? My SPLAT (and samples, etc.) and OS are already on an SSD, but my project folders are on a separate physical drive, and that's the one I cloned and am replacing with another SSD.

When done, does SPLAT complain, or is there any hiccup? I'm thinking if I'm going to have a hiccup it's going to be my Waves plugins (because they complain at everything!)

Anyone have experience here? Just trying to prepare myself.

Thanks,

Stephen
2017/06/12 21:06:15
DrLumen
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
abacab

+1000

I had one SSD fail on me after a little more than 2 years of virtually daily use ... on a tablet PC which I used for office tasks. Never bothered to do a proper image since it's just office stuff and not a DAW ... took me 3 days to get the machine back to where it was before the SSD crash. one day just for getting windows to the latest update stage and 2 days to download and reinstall all these applications that I installed over the years ... backup, backup, backup

What were the symptoms when it went bad? Was it just certain sectors or did everything crash-and-burn?
2017/06/12 21:10:24
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Sonar projects you can simply move or copy. SPLAT will not complain, there should not be a problem with WAVES either. I do this all the time. Changed sample locations would be the only thing that could cause issues requiring reselecting of path...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account