• Software
  • Blue3 is a new B3 organ plugin from GG-Audio (p.2)
2017/07/10 15:45:59
bitflipper
Can you elaborate, Dan? VB3 is my go-to organ, and I use organs a lot, but I haven't run into any issues yet. I'd like to know what to watch out for, even if they are just minor niggles. I've only heard about problems with Logic and ProTools, which don't apply to me.

BTW, there really is a VB3 version 2, but you can't buy it. At least, not as a plugin. It's in the Crumar Mojo.
2017/07/10 16:10:36
SmokeyJ628
From KVR:  "For me the biggest letdown of VB3 is that stuff like Global Tuning, Type, Leakage Level, Tonewheel Scaling, Perc. Decay/Level, Wind Noise, Speaker Type, Scanner depth etc. etc. are all stored globally.
In other words, if you change those for one song, they will change for any song you made or will make, since they are not stored in a preset (and thus DAW project)."
2017/07/10 17:35:56
dcumpian
bitflipper
Can you elaborate, Dan? VB3 is my go-to organ, and I use organs a lot, but I haven't run into any issues yet. I'd like to know what to watch out for, even if they are just minor niggles. I've only heard about problems with Logic and ProTools, which don't apply to me.

BTW, there really is a VB3 version 2, but you can't buy it. At least, not as a plugin. It's in the Crumar Mojo.

Primarily, I've had issues with organs in a project sounding different when I open the project in a different session. After tweaking an organ patch for what seems like hours, it can be frustrating. I've found the safest way to work with it is to create a preset in my project that I can reload when things go wonky. I've also had the sound get rather noisy and had to close and reopen the project. That one is rarer.

Not buying the Crumar though, lol...

Regards,
Dan
2017/07/11 01:44:56
bitflipper
So if you restore a project it sounds different, but if you load a preset it's OK? That's weird. And almost certainly a VB3 bug. I'll have to keep an ear out for that one, although I haven't noticed it to date.
2017/07/11 01:54:03
bitflipper
SmokeyJ628
From KVR:  "For me the biggest letdown of VB3 is that stuff like Global Tuning, Type, Leakage Level, Tonewheel Scaling, Perc. Decay/Level, Wind Noise, Speaker Type, Scanner depth etc. etc. are all stored globally.
In other words, if you change those for one song, they will change for any song you made or will make, since they are not stored in a preset (and thus DAW project)."

Never noticed that before, but your source is right. I just changed the Type, and now that's the new Type for any past or future instance of VB3. This could give some unexpected results (like Dan's observation above) when you come back to a project. Good thing I never change the Type parameter.

2017/07/11 15:04:20
thepianist65
just downloaded the demo version and I'm impressed enough to seriously consider an impulse purchase, lol. I love the clicky jazz presets (being a jazz player) and the other presets sound great to my ears, too, even without any tweaking yet. However, after a few minutes I got a Sonar crash, and am hoping this is not because of the plug-in.
2017/07/12 02:12:35
Fleer
I took part in the beta. This developer is so dedicated. Just shoot him an email and ask.
2017/07/15 13:48:17
Leee
I'm really on the fence about Blue3.  And I've read in this forum, as well as the KVR and other forums that most people either prefer GSi's VB3 or Blue3 (with several choosing a couple of other B3 emulators)
VB3 does the job, and as a lot of people have mentioned, they think it comes closest sounding to the real thing more than any other B3 plugin.

I think it comes down to the differences in VB3 and Blue 3 is not that one is better sounding than the other, they just have a different overall sound.  Each equally authentic sounding but in slightly different ways. (even though there is that slightly synthy sound in Blue3 on certain presets)
The choice for me would be easy, if I had an extra $100 lying around, I'd add Blue3 to my collection of virtual instruments in a second.  But as it is, I'm on a tight budget and I'd have to do some creative financial juggling in order to get Blue3.

I'll probably end up getting it next month or the month after that, but in the meantime, I'm perfectly satisfied with VB3, and even the old Native Instruments B4-II.  
2017/07/15 13:54:35
MarioD
Leee
I've also tried many different Hammond B3 plugins/emulators.  My original favorite was (the now discontinued) Native Instruments B4-II.  IMHO their replacement (Vintage Organs) was a major step down in the quality of sound for a realistic sounding B3 organ.   My second choice, and what I've been using lately is VB3, which is very close in quality to the NI B4-II.

I also used to own a Nord Electro keyboard, which sounded the closest to the real thing, but unfortunately I had to sell it a few years ago due to financial difficulties.

My question is how does Blue3 compare to NI's B4-II?   

I agree, NI's B4II is the best B3 emulation that I have heard.  In fact I am still using it.
2017/07/15 23:47:46
Leee
MarioD
Leee
I've also tried many different Hammond B3 plugins/emulators.  My original favorite was (the now discontinued) Native Instruments B4-II.  IMHO their replacement (Vintage Organs) was a major step down in the quality of sound for a realistic sounding B3 organ.   My second choice, and what I've been using lately is VB3, which is very close in quality to the NI B4-II.

I also used to own a Nord Electro keyboard, which sounded the closest to the real thing, but unfortunately I had to sell it a few years ago due to financial difficulties.

My question is how does Blue3 compare to NI's B4-II?   

I agree, NI's B4II is the best B3 emulation that I have heard.  In fact I am still using it.

I've actually changed my opinion on NI's B4-II.   While I still think it's one of the better sounding B3 plugins, after doing extensive side-by-side comparisons of  B4-II, VB3, and Blue3,  I now think the real comparison should be between VB3 and Blue3 (as I mentioned in my previous post).

It's a very close and difficult comparison.   Depending upon which presets you use and how much you tweak all the adjustments in both plugins, some VB3 sounds have a warmer (less synth) tone, while other preset have Blue3 sounding superior.   I can make convincing Hammond B3 parts from all 3 of these plugins, and if you already have B4-II or VB3, buying Blue3 is not a necessity for getting a solid Hammond B3 sound.   But if you don't have anything else, or have the money to spend on Blue3, I would definitely recommend getting it.

Most of my songs have a Hammond B3 in them, so this instrument is very important to me.  Obviously nothing is like having the real thing, or even the Nord Electro keyboard (which I used to own) produced superior sounds.
But as far as software plugins go,  Blue3 comes pretty darn close.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account