• SONAR
  • How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ?
2018/04/23 15:50:43
iRelevant
I'm struggling to get this to work. 
I've been in  Preferences/MIDI/Control Surfaces and added new control surface as Mackie Control, with FaderPort as in/out port. 
Still nothing happens ... no sign of life ... the controller itself works perfectly in SO at the moment. Any hints as to what I'm not doing right ? 
- Sven 
2018/04/23 16:56:39
Midiboy
A couple things...

1) Make sure you have the latest firmware / driver for the Faderport.  (This is important as one of the newer ones fixed the MACKIE emulations and the newer one adds Sonar Specifically as a setup option). 

2) Make sure it's in MACKIE mode and not Studio One mode.  To do this, make sure your DAW is NOT running.  Turn OFF the Faderport.  Push the 1st and 3rd select buttons and hold them down while turning on the Faderport.  Select Sonar in the scribblestrip screen.  Push the last button for OK.  Start Cakewalk. 
2018/04/23 17:30:29
iRelevant
Midiboy
A couple things...

1) Make sure you have the latest firmware / driver for the Faderport.  (This is important as one of the newer ones fixed the MACKIE emulations and the newer one adds Sonar Specifically as a setup option). 

2) Make sure it's in MACKIE mode and not Studio One mode.  To do this, make sure your DAW is NOT running.  Turn OFF the Faderport.  Push the 1st and 3rd select buttons and hold them down while turning on the Faderport.  Select Sonar in the scribblestrip screen.  Push the last button for OK.  Start Cakewalk. 

Are we talking about the same controller ? Where is the scribblestrip screen ? 
I have the single channel Faderport btw ... just one fader and buttons.
2018/04/23 17:34:22
Midiboy
Oh!  I'm sorry...do you just have a single channel Faderport?  I have a Faderport 8 and was thinking in those terms.  I forgot that they made a single channel one and I'm not sure how to configure that one.  I am really sorry. 
2018/04/23 18:10:39
iRelevant
Midiboy
Oh!  I'm sorry...do you just have a single channel Faderport?  I have a Faderport 8 and was thinking in those terms.  I forgot that they made a single channel one and I'm not sure how to configure that one.  I am really sorry. 

No problem, thanks for trying. 
2018/04/23 18:22:16
azslow3
Fir single channel Faderport you need to select "Faderport" in the Control Surfaces preferences.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013368/Setup-the-PreSonus-FaderPort-as-a-SONAR-Control-Surface

2018/04/23 18:24:07
Jeff Evans
Did you try reading the manual? There is a specific procedure for setting up various DAW's.

https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/FaderPort_OwnersManual_EN.pdf

Remember too that Faderport 1 runs at USB 1 speed so be careful what port you put it on. Anything else on the same port will be reduced to USB 1 speed. i.e. don't put it on the same USB port as your audio interface etc..  

2018/04/23 20:07:41
iRelevant
azslow3
Fir single channel Faderport you need to select "Faderport" in the Control Surfaces preferences.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013368/Setup-the-PreSonus-FaderPort-as-a-SONAR-Control-Surface

Thank you very much Azslow3 ... your an angel. Followed instructions and everything is working fine.
2018/04/23 20:25:25
iRelevant
Jeff Evans
Did you try reading the manual? There is a specific procedure for setting up various DAW's.

https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/FaderPort_OwnersManual_EN.pdf

Remember too that Faderport 1 runs at USB 1 speed so be careful what port you put it on. Anything else on the same port will be reduced to USB 1 speed. i.e. don't put it on the same USB port as your audio interface etc..  

No I did not try to read the Fader port manual, I was working from the position that it should be recognized as a MCU compatible unit.

I searched the forum and studied the DAW documentation without finding a solution. In the aftermath I don't see how the reading Presonus Fader manual would have solved anything. There is no mention there of the procedure there that Aslow3 pointed to. 

There is definitely some room for improvement in CbB on the Control Surface usability front.

Having to go into DOS prompt modus to set up the controller is a bit heavy for the average user I think.

Thanks for your assistance in sorting this out, much appreciated.
2018/04/23 22:26:46
fitzj
https://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort/downloads
Install
Ok go to  Preference
Choose Midi
Control Surfaces
Click the yellow button to add a new controller
To the right of Act Midi Controller click on the  black triangle point downwards
Select Presonus PrefaderPort
Set Input to Faderport
Output to FaderPort
Once installed you can see it under Utilities Menu or as a module  called Presonus Fader Port
Double Click on Utilities menus
Select the Presonus Prefader
Make sure the link WAI is selected
Open the console and play around with the controls on the fader port.
Hope this helps
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account