• SONAR
  • How to set up a Presonus Faderport as Control Surface in CbB ? (p.2)
2018/04/24 06:03:54
azslow3
Jeff Evans
Did you try reading the manual?...

Remember too that Faderport 1 runs at USB 1 speed so be careful what port you put it on. Anything else on the same port will be reduced to USB 1 speed. i.e. don't put it on the same USB port as your audio interface etc.. 

That is interesting.... in which manual you have found that?

Modern notebooks have USB-C docking station (hub) and 1-2 USB 3.x ports. People are forced to connect everything throw the same port. Mouse, keyboard, Ethernet, disks, audio interfaces... If any USB 1.x device can "downgrade" up-link to the computer, I guess internet speed is limited to 10MBit when mouse is connected
2018/04/24 07:06:23
Jeff Evans
From Presonus themselves:

A NOTE ON USB: 

FaderPort is a USB 1.1 device. It works fine with the faster USB 2 bus but will operate at USB 1.1 speed.
Note that when you connect multiple devices to the same USB bus, the entire bus will operate at the speed of the slowest device in the chain. This applies to any USB device, including hard drives, scanners, printers, and interfaces.

This means that if you want to use a FaderPort with, for instance, an AudioBox VSL-series audio/MIDI interface, which requires USB 2, you need to connect the FaderPort to a separate and independent USB bus. Otherwise, the USB 2 device will send and receive at USB 1.1 speed, which may be inadequate.

Some computers offer multiple USB ports that are, in fact, operating on the same internal USB bus.
Check your computer's documentation to ascertain whether this is the case. If so, connecting the FaderPort to any USB port on the computer would result in all ports operating at USB 1.1 speed.

If your computer has a card slot, you may be able to add a separate USB 2 bus via a third-party card.

Most motherboards have several USB ports often in pairs and they are not on all the same USB buss. I found a spare USB out on my motherboard and all I had to do was invest in a set of connectors that slide into the space in front of an unused PCI socket and simply connected it up. Another option is to invest in a separate PCI card that offers a set of USB ports. Personally my audio interface is on the PCI buss so this did not effect me anyway. Faderport 8/16 are operating at USB 2 speed. 

2018/04/24 08:33:42
azslow3
Ok. That is yet another argument for me to stay away from Presonus

USB 2.0, 11.1.1
When the hub upstream facing port is attached to an electrical environment that is operating at high-speed, the full-/low-speed hub repeater is not operational. In this electrical environment when a high-speed device is attached on downstream facing port, the routing logic will connect the port to the hub repeater and the hub repeater must operate as a high-speed repeater. In this case, when a full-/low-speed device is attached on a downstream facing port, the routing logic must connect the port to the transaction translator.

and
USB 2.0, 11.4
A hub has a special responsibility when it is operating in high-speed and has full-/low-speed devices connected on downstream facing ports. In this case, the hub must isolate the high-speed signaling environment from the full-/low-speed signaling environment.

Note, that when connecting to the computer directly, you still connect to a "hub":
USB 2.0, 5.2.3
A host includes an embedded hub called the root hub.

The compatibility situation is a more complicated in USB 3+:
USB 3.2
USB 3.2 hosts have both Enhanced SuperSpeed and USB 2.0 interfaces, which are essentially
parallel buses that may be active simultaneously.

but the spirit is the same: low/full(USB 1.x) speed devices should never slow down any high (USB 2.x)/super (USB 3.x) speed devices.

As we all know, practically some USB1/USB2 devices can have problems with USB3 ports. When USB 2 was introduced, there was also some inter-operation problems. All that was/is coming from "bugs" in particular hardware/firmware/software (incorrect implementation of a part of the standard, which was not broadly used at the time the device was developed and so was not observed during tests... we all are people). But it is wrong to use such exceptions as a rule.
2018/04/24 09:14:37
Jeff Evans
The newer Faderport models of course are running at USB 2 speeds. Faderport 1 probably is fine now too.  I have noticed on my motherboard for example the USB ports are in pairs and come from various points around the motherboard so what you are saying could certainly be the case now.  They seem independent from each other.  As I mentioned I don't have a USB audio interface so cannot say.  I do have an external midi interface but it is running on its own PCI based USB card.  And it seems to perform rather well, independently of everything else.

Anyway as long as the OP got his Faderport 1 working in Sonar, and it seems  so.  If he has got it running in tandem with something else might be good to know if anything has been effected. 

2018/04/24 13:07:46
iRelevant
I'm aware that the Faderport 1 is a USB 1.1 type of device, and that in theory it may cause problems if connected to the same buss as say an USB2 Audio device. It's nice of Presonus to mention that it surprisingly is an USB v1.1 device, which is more than can be said about their openness about their VLS1818 soundcard and all it's "issues". 
2018/04/24 21:03:03
fitzj
I have Faderport installed and it run perfectly. No issues.
2018/11/29 15:01:02
dede
azslow3
Fir single channel Faderport you need to select "Faderport" in the Control Surfaces preferences.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013368/Setup-the-PreSonus-FaderPort-as-a-SONAR-Control-Surface

Hi, that's assuming you don't want to ise AZcontrolelr and use Faderport instead, right?
Anyway, az with faderport preset is not working at all here so i tried that procedure including th cmd prmpt.

iRelevant
azslow3
Fir single channel Faderport you need to select "Faderport" in the Control Surfaces preferences.
https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013368/Setup-the-PreSonus-FaderPort-as-a-SONAR-Control-Surface

Thank you very much Azslow3 ... your an angel. Followed instructions and everything is working fine.

You did register faderport.dll? I don't even have that dll after install.
I do have a faderportdevice.dll but register failed...

THANKS guys, cheers
dd

2018/11/29 16:26:59
azslow3
dede
azslow3

Hi, that's assuming you don't want to ise AZcontrolelr and use Faderport instead, right?
Anyway, az with faderport preset is not working at all here so i tried that procedure including th cmd prmpt.
AZ is not using AZ Controller for Faderport. Not that I do not like AZ Controller, I simply do not have Faderport 

iRelevant
azslow3

Thank you very much Azslow3 ... your an angel. Followed instructions and everything is working fine.

You did register faderport.dll? I don't even have that dll after install.
I do have a faderportdevice.dll but register failed...

THANKS guys, cheers
dd

Welcome to the wonderful Presonus world. They have RENAMED the device, what was "Feaderport" before is now "Faderport classic". So, to follow instructions download from:
https://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort-Classic/downloads

But if you really have current "Faderport", so the new one, you are out of luck... Sonat/CbB is no longer officially supported.

PS. AZ Controller works with any device. It is just not always obvious hot to make it work with particular device...
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account