• SONAR
  • Not Enough Output for Reamping
2018/11/25 18:38:28
RS1979
I recently recorded a project DI through my Scarlett 2i2, and now I'm trying to reamp it through an ART Dual RDB reamp box. Even with the 'Send' level maxed out on my project track, and my outputs maxed out on both my interface and reamp box, I can't get enough output going through my amp to get a good sound. It sounds weak and too clean, nothing like it should.  My amp is a Blackstar Artisan 15. 

I've also tried increasing the gain on my project track but that just creates clipping issues. 

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can get more output? I have spent weeks on this project assuming that I wouldn't have any issues reamping, so I really need to get this resolved.

Thanks.
2018/11/25 18:44:32
bitman
Maybe it's a -10 / +4 level issue?

2018/11/25 19:48:11
RS1979
bitman
Maybe it's a -10 / +4 level issue?

Do you mean the volume level that I'm recording at? If so, my signal is just hitting the first line of orange.

2018/11/25 19:54:54
bitflipper
He's referring to the device itself. You can assume, I think, that the output from the project is adequate. If the output from your interface is also maxxed, it would seem that the ART box is the problem.
2018/11/25 21:20:18
chuckebaby
Im not sure -10dBv and +4dBu voltage levels apply here as the ART Dual RDB has no settings for that.
So that leaves the Interface or the Microphone.

To be honest I didn't think it was possible to Re-amp using the Saffire 212 unless..
You are doing the recording live (One DI goes to track 1 / One Mic signal goes to track 2).
Not listen to dry tracks later and amp them to a source.
you can try...

1- make sure impendences are matched
2- Try the phase switch
3- Check your routing

You need the Focusrite MixControl software to do internal routing but I don't believe your interface doesn't support internal routing.

2018/11/26 03:14:54
gswitz
When i use my home made reamp box, with the level around half on the reamp box i get very close to the level when using my guitar direct. I do have to use the ground lift. I think it sounds better skipping the computer and the reamp box, but it is pretty close.

For you the same? That is the place to start. Plug your guitar inn where your reamp box is and see of you can match the sound.

Next add fx to taste.

Put a stomp box to increase gain between your reamp box and the amp.
2018/11/26 22:34:44
Kev999
I've just looked through a few threads on the Gearslutz forums about the ART Dual RDB and there are a couple of mentions about it having a very weak output. For a device whose sole function is about impedance matching and connectivity, this seems like a serious shortcoming.
2018/11/27 01:51:28
RS1979
I found these instructions pertaining to reamping when using a Focusrite interface, but I don't understand how to apply them to Sonar/Cakewalk. For instance, how can I set the track output to an output not being used by speakers?

Can somebody explain how to apply these instructions to Sonar in 'Sonar for Noobs' terms please? Thanks.
2018/11/27 02:44:28
Kamikaze
When you are going into the front, is it set to Line or Inst?
2018/11/27 03:16:25
RS1979
Kamikaze
When you are going into the front, is it set to Line or Inst?

My interface is set to Instrument when I DI.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account