2016/03/26 11:03:29
happyrat1
Hi all,

I have a Roland JD-XI on order arriving next week and I'd like to integrate it into my home studio.

I do my sequencing on Cakewalk Music Creator and Cakewalk Home Studio 9.01 running under Linux WINE Windows Emulator..

What I am looking for is a proper Cakewalk Instrument Definitions File for the JD-XI.

Frankly I don't care if it was community created or if it's available as a direct download from Cakewalk, as long as it works.

Considering that Roland actually owns Cakewalk and since the JD-XI has been around for over a year now, I don't think I'm asking for the impossible here.

I have minimal experience creating my own INS files and I'd really rather not deal with the hassle of rolling my own if someone else has already done this for us.

Any input on where to locate such a file would be welcomed with open arms.

Thanks for listening,

Gary ;)

2016/03/26 22:29:58
jimfogle
Hello Gary and welcome to the forum.

I don't know if the Roland JD-Xi INS file is available or not.  However, there is a link below that will let you download the latest INS file.

More news, Roland doesn't own Cakewalk now!  Gibson purchased Cakewalk from Roland in 2015.

https://www.cakewalk.com/...Instrument-Definitions
2016/03/27 03:48:10
happyrat1
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the quick reply but the link you provided comes up 'Page Not Found."

As far as Gibson owning Cakewalk now goes, I'm somewhat surprised but then again isn't there already some sort of incestuous relationship between Gibson and Roland to begin with?

ie. doesn't one already own the other?

Gary ;)

2016/03/27 03:59:41
happyrat1
Good news, I was able to find the Instrument Definitions in the Knowledge base.

Apparently the page has been moved to :

It really would have made things simpler if the site just kept them on a top level downloads link instead of burying them inside the KB.

Now for the really bad news.

A quick look inside both the official and the community files tells me the JD-Xi has not been supported yet.

I loathe the thought of having to create my own INS for this one and I'm not even sure of what sort of bank switching goes on inside the JD-Xi.

So my questions still stands.

Anyone out there created an INS for this model keyboard yet?

Gary ;)

2016/03/31 09:55:46
happyrat1
Bump...

Nobody out there has seen or heard of a JD-Xi INS file yet?

It's been on the market for a bloody year already.

Gary ;)

2016/03/31 13:45:59
cryophonik
You might have better luck if you post this on the Sonar forum.  It gets a lot more traffic and there are more power users there who are more likely to own a JD-Xi and perhaps have created an INS for it.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/SONAR-f70.aspx

2016/03/31 14:14:41
happyrat1
The hell with it.

I'm already editing the instrument and bank lines and expect to finish up in a few days.

I have no idea how to set up the controller and drum voice sections though so when I'm done I'll post it up here and have someone with better eyes and skills do the final tweaking.

Thanks for the suggestion but at least I'm contributing to the community. ;)

I'll repost the message in the Sonar forum though.  You may be right about someone else reinventing the wheel, though I thought the latest versions of Sonar Platinum did away with INS files.

Gary ;)

2016/03/31 14:44:00
cryophonik
happyrat1
...though I thought the latest versions of Sonar Platinum did away with INS files.

Nope, I still use INS files (and recently created one for my Nord Rack 4) with Platinum.
2016/03/31 14:54:41
happyrat1
Seriously it would be great if Cakewalk created some kind of simple python program that generated the script with a simple cut and paste of instrument names.

Cutting and pasting the instrument names is the easy part.

It's the line numbering and labelling that's mind numbingly tedious.

If I were a better programmer I'd write one up myself. :(

Gary ;)

2016/03/31 15:05:13
happyrat1
Actually a decent java web app designer could knock one off in a week or two and they could post it right here on the forums and website so that anyone could cut and paste the instrument names bank by bank in a dialogue field and check off a few checkboxes and nobody would ever again have to go thru the living hell of rolling their own INS files.

And it would support every keyboard known to man as well as everyone yet to be produced!

Howabout it cakewalk mods?

This is a suggestion worth passing on to the website admins and programmers!

Gary ;)

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account