• SONAR
  • Bandlab Clarification Please (p.3)
2018/05/21 01:01:02
John T
djwolf
I do not own a mobile phone...  Let me rephrase that.  I WILL NOT OWN A MOBILE PHONE, a tablet, or any other push technology.  I don't like the way they have ushered in yet another addiction to "the Age of the Rude, the Shallow and the Stupid" and  turned us into slaves.     

I own a mobile phone. I'll admit to having some mixed feelings about mobile phones, but it seems necessary to the line of work I'm in, which means I'm often not near a land line.

But I'll tell you what, I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed if I'd become a slave. It seems improbable that I don't think I'm a slave, but I'm mistaken about that.
2018/05/21 17:49:39
iRelevant
John T
djwolf
I do not own a mobile phone...  Let me rephrase that.  I WILL NOT OWN A MOBILE PHONE, a tablet, or any other push technology.  I don't like the way they have ushered in yet another addiction to "the Age of the Rude, the Shallow and the Stupid" and  turned us into slaves.     

I own a mobile phone. I'll admit to having some mixed feelings about mobile phones, but it seems necessary to the line of work I'm in, which means I'm often not near a land line.

But I'll tell you what, I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed if I'd become a slave. It seems improbable that I don't think I'm a slave, but I'm mistaken about that.

Well you know how the saying goes : The best slaves are those who believe they are free ... :) 
2018/05/21 20:05:55
JohanSebatianGremlin
djwolf
I do not own a mobile phone...  Let me rephrase that.  I WILL NOT OWN A MOBILE PHONE, a tablet, or any other push technology.  
There were people who felt the same way about indoor plumbing. And don't get them started on electricity or those new fangled horseless carriages. 
2018/05/21 21:35:06
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
35mm
Cakewalk by Bandlab is not Home Studio - that is misleading. It is Sonar with all the add-ons removed so it's like you just installed the Sonar DAW only and didn't install all the plugins and everything that came with it. So it is the core software with a new name and new updates.

This ^.
CbB is the identical core SONAR Platinum program with numerous fixes and new features coming by the month. Just as it was before. The word streamlined applied to the removal of content and some plugin's that were distributed under agreement from third party companies. Those were not Cakewalk property and their removal doesn't diminish the value of the core program in any way. We have some major new features, enhancements and bug fixes coming in the next months. Installing CbB is no different in principle than when it was installed via command center.

2018/05/21 23:24:48
John T
iRelevant
John T
djwolf

Well you know how the saying goes : The best slaves are those who believe they are free ... :) 

Really though. I mean, I use to arrange to meet friends for a drink and to call my family and stuff. It really doesn't feel like slavery.
2018/05/22 00:01:31
iRelevant
John T
iRelevant
John T
djwolf

Really though. I mean, I use to arrange to meet friends for a drink and to call my family and stuff. It really doesn't feel like slavery.

Relax, it was intended as a joke. I see we don't share the same humor.
2018/12/30 02:02:59
djwolf
I apologize.  I left this conversation because I really have only one piece of music left to finish and I was hoping I could just do so without bothering with Bandlab.  I have less than 18 months before the big sleep and I'll be bedridden for some of that but to do what I want to do, I can already see potential issues where driver incompatibilities could force my hand.

However, the advice in this thread is ambiguous.  Since I don't know what prompts or choices I'll get when I upgrade and a roll-back or do-over, being highly unlikely, I need to know what to do in more exact terms.  For example:

Daibhidh
If you install Cakewalk by Bandlab without uninstalling your previous Sonar Platinum
the new version will not be limited at all. You can use all your Platinum features in the new version
as long as you keep both installations (the old Sonar and the new Cakewalk).

Normally, an upgrade process finds your installation and overwrites those parts that require change.  You do not uninstall your current installation even though the process will uninstall some of it for you.  By "keep both installations" it appears that overwriting my current installation is not what is being recommended and that I should install Bandlab as a separate installation.  How much separation should I aim for?  I have 6 SSDs of 1TB each.  Should I install on a separate drive?  And, how do I get Sonar Platinum's additional features to register in the Bandlab installation if they are separate?

And this is the downside of "Free" that I raised.  If I was paying for Bandlab I would demand that they provide the detailed documentation outlining the upgrade process complete with graphics of each prompt, and the outcome of each choice but because it is free I am left to depend upon the kindness of strangers and can demand nothing.  While I am pretty sure, almost certain, and quietly confidant that the process itself will make all abundantly clear, the mere possibility that it will not is unacceptable.  I just do not have the time to learn Cubase or Pro-Tools from scratch.  

2018/12/30 03:58:44
scook
The upgrade to CbB is similar to upgrading from an older/lesser version of SONAR to Platinum.

After the upgrade both DAWs are available.

Everything installed with 64bit Platinum is accessible in CbB.

Both DAWs have their own folders in program files, Cakewalk Content, user directory, programData and registry entries.

There are a few shared registry entries such as the location of "Cakewalk Content" and the default project directory.

The "shared folders" are upgraded. This means updated versions of the plug-in manager and scanner. Also the Dx plug-ins and PC modules are overwritten but this does not mean much as they have not changed in some time.

Don't get too exotic with the upgrade. Put CbB on the same drive as SONAR. The worst that can happen is you don't like CbB. If that is the case, uninstall BandLab Assistant and CbB then re-run the SONAR installer (or rollback and roll forward using CCC).

FYI, this forum will be set to read-only soon. The new forum is http://discuss.cakewalk.com

2019/01/02 12:00:15
Toddskins
djwolf

However, the advice in this thread is ambiguous.  Since I don't know what prompts or choices I'll get when I upgrade and a roll-back or do-over, being highly unlikely, I need to know what to do in more exact terms.  For example:

You must know about Image backups, right?  Norton Ghost v.15 for Windows 7, or Acronis True Image and others for Windows 10.

So simply make an image backup of your C-drive before the new install of CbB, and stop worrying.  Restore the image if you have bad dreams.
2019/01/02 17:36:07
Brian Walton
djwolf

And this is the downside of "Free" that I raised.  If I was paying for Bandlab I would demand that they provide the detailed documentation outlining the upgrade process complete with graphics of each prompt, and the outcome of each choice but because it is free I am left to depend upon the kindness of strangers and can demand nothing.  While I am pretty sure, almost certain, and quietly confidant that the process itself will make all abundantly clear, the mere possibility that it will not is unacceptable.  I just do not have the time to learn Cubase or Pro-Tools from scratch.  

Maybe if you put a few hundred bucks in the tip jar you would feel better about the program not being free.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk/rewards

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account