• Computers
  • Firewire VIA chipset and Windows 10 - BEWARE! (p.3)
2015/08/29 10:26:13
Jim Roseberry
You can search back thru literally hundreds of posts (from the past 10+ years) of folks having problems with a Firewire audio interface.  In almost every case, the user was running a Ricoh, Lucent, Augere, Via, or other "rogue" chipset Firewire controller.

If you want to maximize your odds of success, it makes sense to use a TI chipset Firewire controller.

As for pitting me against Focusrite or any other manufacturer, pfffffffft!  
I've turned down job offers from numerous audio software/hardware companies over the past 20+ years.
Focusrite makes some nice hardware... but they're not RME, MOTU, or Lynx when it comes to round-trip latency.

2015/08/29 11:32:00
mettelus
Jim's comment earlier was more global, which made me realize the thread title is misleading. The actual point with the OP is specific to Focusrite Saffire units running Win10 on VIA chipset.
2015/08/29 12:00:19
Doktor Avalanche
mettelus
Jim's comment earlier was more global, which made me realize the thread title is misleading. The actual point with the OP is specific to Focusrite Saffire units running Win10 on VIA chipset.

I've been very specific about saffire here as well. I'm not disagreeing with his specific point he's right about that, but not in the context of the Saffire interface. You are probably right about the thread title being misleading, although I'm worried there could be other issues with Win10 and VIA chipsets. We shall see.
2015/09/05 14:24:38
kitekrazy1
Jim Roseberry
Doktor Avalanche
The DAW is irrelevant, it's the hardware it connects to. VIA has worked perfectly fine until Win10. Either Focusrite or VIA driver to blame.

VIA Firewire chipsets have certainly NOT all worked fine with all audio interfaces up until Win10.
Ever tried to run an M-Audio FW1814 connected to a VIA chipset Firewire controller?  Don't bother, you won't be able to install the driver.
  • Some VIA Firewire chipsets work fine with certain audio interfaces (RME and MOTU are less fussy about controller)
  • Some VIA Firewire chipsets "work" in that you can play/record audio... but performance is poor compared to TI.
  • Other VIA Firewire chipsets result in complete instability (or just plain won't even allow install of audio interface)

It's rare, but even some TI chipset Firewire controllers are unreliable with certain audio interfaces.
  • Manhattan makes a TI chipset Firewire controller that doesn't work properly with the MOTU 896HD.  Ironically it works fine with the 8-Pre.
  • UA Apollo, Mackie, and Tascam units are particularly fussy about the specific TI chipset.

It's down to the specific combination of Firewire chipset and audio interface.

Has VIA ever updated their 1394 drivers.  The ones that have worked on my systems were dated 2001.
I guess FW interfaces are not a good investment and some of those Sapphire have been on sale.  I'm not a fan of USB since everything is USB.  Few are PCI-x that are affordable.  The lowest price Thunderbolt unit is $200.  I miss the PCI bus. I wonder how long the RME HFs will be manufactured. You can still get RME PCI cards.
2015/09/05 14:48:24
mettelus
The VIA driver I am using came from Microsoft in the Win7 package, but is still older than dirt (6/21/2006, version 6.1.7601.17514).

I am of the same mindset that I do not trust potential USB conflicts, so went with FW for that reason (only FW device I have ever owned). Downside is I own enough hardware where driver updates stopped with Win7 that I will be staying here a while longer.
2015/09/06 06:45:00
fireberd
I used to have a Saffire Pro 40 (with T.I. Chipset in PC) and it worked fine but the best latency I could reliably use was 12ms.  The Safire Pro 40 died and I moved on to USB with a Roland Octa-Capture and halved the latency and now with Windows 10 I'm down to the 4ms range.  I have several USB connected devices for recording, including a BCF2000 and a Tranzport, along with USB controllers for wireless mouse and keyboard, and there are no conflicts.

The Saffire Pro 40, like most firewire devices use a DICE (or DICE II) chipset and DICE likes to see a T.I. in the PC.  I used to have a DICE Utility that checked for the firewire chipset (and the DICE web site used to have a statement about using T.I. - I haven't checked lately). 
2015/09/16 13:41:17
Doktor Avalanche
Contacted Focusrite yesterday asking if they have at least located the issue. They just repeated the same line, their "top priority" etc. Worrying... 
2017/06/07 11:59:40
35mm
I hope you don't mind me digging this up. I'm setting up a new system drive and thought I'd try win 10 as I was eligible for a freebie, although I had read bad stuff about driver support for older products. I have an old TI PCI firewire card that I have used in systems for years so I was hopeful it might work with my Safire. It seems not. Anyone heard of any workarounds or fixes for this?

I have a Pro 40 elsewhere that I may try out, but I hate hardware going obsolete. I also have an NI Kore controller that I haven't tried out yet, but I guess that will have issues too.

EDIT Safire Pro 40 seems to work fine. Safire and sadly my old NI Kore 1 don't.
2017/06/07 15:25:30
abacab
I cannot speak for Saffire, but I can vouch for this FireWire 1394 PCIe card with TI chipset working well in Windows 10.  I am using it with an M-Audio interface.  I had been using it on Window 7, and now Windows 10, with no problems whatsoever.

Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card, TI Chipset, Extra Regular Bracket SD-PEX30009
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S53IG8
2017/06/07 17:55:47
Sir Les
LSI firewire 400/800 may also work better for some brands of audio devices.

https://www.tonymacx86.co...0-compatibility.59767/

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account