2017/02/28 07:59:53
jb101
I am moving to a new music school, and will be having to print far more of my students' teaching material at home.  To this end I am in the market for a new printer (all in one copier, printer, scanner).

I guess my main concern is economical printing.  I always had the impression that I should get a laser for this.  When I spoke to someone in a shop the other day, they suggested that Inkjets are now rivaling lasers for cheap copies.  She suggested a HP OfficeJet Pro 8728.

Ant thoughts? I am at a loss to know what to do.  I don't rally want to spend more than £200.

Any help greatly appreciated.
2017/02/28 08:50:24
mettelus
Laser is faster and the ink doesn't smear in them. I got a cheap HP 1217 six years ago that prints the first page in under 8 seconds and pumps them out.

The color inkjet at work is also HP but chews through ink cartridges quick. It is slow, and that ink will smear if ever gotten wet.

The laser cartridges can also be gotten cheaply from companies that refill them (20% what HP charges).
2017/02/28 09:08:20
fret_man
+1 laser printer
2017/02/28 09:31:50
fireberd
For B&W printing a Laser is best.  We had HP laser jets in our network and they required periodic maintenance "kits" that were pricey.  Don't know if newer ones have the same maintenance requirements.

I have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8620.  It prints relatively fast and has relatively large capacity ink cartridges (but are pricey as I don't use after market ink cartridges).  I do a lot of CD production and jewel case printing so my latest replacement was an "office" machine rather than a "home/consumer" model. 
2017/02/28 09:40:39
TheSteven
Food for thought - prices are in dollars but gives you an idea of what's out there, comparable features, etc
PC Mags Best Printers of 2017
2017/02/28 22:18:37
ampfixer
Laser all the way.
2017/02/28 22:52:04
JonD
Definitely go laser.  I've stuck to Brother brand lasers for over 14 years and have been very satisfied.  HP is probably the best- known and selling brand, but of course, is more expensive.

If you print a lot, do yourself a favor and buy OEM toner cartridges (and drums, when that eventually goes), from a reputable company.  You'll save a ton of money (For example, a Brother brand toner cartridge for my printer runs $45. An OEM two-pack goes for $25). Needless to say, it's a significant savings over the life of the printer.
2017/02/28 23:29:47
DrLumen
Laser and OEM cartridges.

Perhaps http://store.hp.com/us/en...pid=pr_oos_na_1_170228

FYI, the Officejet is an inkjet printer.

2017/03/01 01:04:01
bluzdog
Laser for b&w. Way quieter, faster and economical.

Rocky
2017/03/01 01:33:55
jb101
Thank you everyone for your much needed advice.

I had settled on the idea of getting a Mono Laser for B&W, and keeping my old HP inkjet for colour.

I (my wife) had then decided to simplify things a little (and save space) by having only one printer, and so I was looking to buy a colour laser.  The Brother DCP9015CDW (Catchy name, huh?) seemed a suitable candidate.

This lady in the shop just threw me a little.  The figures, etc., that she produced (and I have checked them out a little, but only via t'interweb) did seem to suggest that newer Inkjets like the HP would actually work out cheaper to run than a laser, hence my quandary.

You read one article that states that lasers are far cheaper to run, but then read another that says modern inkjets are now outperforming them..

Ho hum..
The general consensus seems to tie in with my original plan, though, so thank you.

Oh, @ DrLumen - Thanks, yes, I know that the Officejet is an inkjet printer, that's why the "Pro Inkjet Lady" was recommending it, I guess.

Thanks again everyone, I guess that I should just revert to my original plan.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account